Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:45:06 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Trouble Tickets  |  Trouble Tickets  |  Spinning Discs Instead of Ads « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Spinning Discs Instead of Ads  (Read 9383 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: November 11, 2008, 12:27:21 AM »

Andrew,

I see spinning "WAIT" discs instead of ads here on the site.
Not that I love ads or anything.  But since they're your bread and butter, I figured I'd mention it to you.

Your ads sometimes don't appear.  Sometimes they do.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 12:29:19 AM by Ash » Logged
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 03:19:13 AM »

I've also got these, Ash: I was wondering if there were movie clips waiting to load or something like that.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:21:43 AM »

Me too! I never really pay attention to the ads, only the Smokey The Bear one and that cool Spiderman one, but now it's loading discs, I can't help being distracted... Buggedout

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:17:17 AM »

I recently made some major changes to the ad serving on the site.  It should really reduce the load on the server.  It looks like everything is still functioning properly. 

What I believe you are seeing is that you have completely "defaulted" through the ad networks, and they stopped attempting to serve you ads.  When you are checking all the threads you use up the number of ads that the ad networks will send to a single visitor.  Right now I do not have any "final default" option  - mostly because I have not found an ad network for the end of chain that is not filled with flashing and annoying ads.

The one that should have a "final default" all the time is the footer - which goes through to Google.

Hopefully the wait discs (they are a background image as a placeholder until the ad arrives) are not too distracting?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 01:26:02 AM »

Hopefully the wait discs (they are a background image as a placeholder until the ad arrives) are not too distracting?

No, they're not distracting at all ~ I was also thinking that a video of that weird 80's group Dead Or Alive was going to start: maybe their hit "You Spin Me Right Round"?  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 04:19:02 AM »

Dead Or Alive are great!  Smile

Small | Large

ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 04:29:47 PM »

from time to time, it seems like these "spinning discs" or some sort of dynamic content here on the forums is causing my browser, firefox, to freeze. anyone else?

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 07:28:51 PM »

from time to time, it seems like these "spinning discs" or some sort of dynamic content here on the forums is causing my browser, firefox, to freeze. anyone else?

The discs definitely shouldn't be causing the issue, as they are just background .gifs that the ads cover once loaded.  The way I have the ads work the whole page loads, then the ads load so that they don't slow down the page.  It is possible that a rogue ad could be causing your browser to freeze.  I haven't encountered it yet.  When did you start having the problem?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 11:33:04 PM »

roughly, 2 to 4 weeks ago.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Trouble Tickets  |  Trouble Tickets  |  Spinning Discs Instead of Ads « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.