Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:41:04 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters  (Read 6387 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: July 10, 2008, 09:31:41 AM »

I wasn't sure if this is good movie (actually a documentary), because it was entertaining or a bad one because those in it were so pathetic.

This short (about 75 min.) documentary is about a guy that hold the high score for around 20 years on Donkey Kong and the guy obsessed with topping him and the rivalry between them. We're not talking 16 year old gamers, we're talking 30+ year old guys.

The record holder is Billy Mitchell who look exactly like a 1980 High School yearbook photo ...

... comes across as a arrogant, self centered, conceited butt wipe since he is the Donkey Kong champion .... dude it's a video game, it's Donkey Kong, you're nearly 40 .... grow the *%&$ up already.

This film is full of some of the geekiest folks I've ever seen, these folks are stuck in the 1980 arcade culture some of them likable and some of them seemingly still living in their mother's basement and Billy Mitchell who seem to think he's big man on campus at the local high school, even though he's a 40 something business owner.

But I enjoyed the film my wife and sat there laughing our butts off in 'disbelievement' that there were folk still living the arcade culture of the 1970's and 1980's some 20+ year later.

You'll also see Steve, hell bent on getting the top score, a 30 something school teacher with a wife and kids, and you'll meet Brian the "retired" 30 year old gamer who quit his banking job to play arcade game all the time, you'll meet the referee guy and his side kick that really take "sanctioned arcade gaming" to a new level.

With the exception of  Steve Wiebe (playing above) who actually had children, I believe the rest are all virgins ... doubt me? Watch the film. My wife thinks there virgins too, she said "OMG those guys need to get laid."

So anyway, I liked ... nay loved GALAGA ... but I knew when to quit, I knew when to walk away. I knew it was time to move on.

What more can I say, it was different and watchable.

So if you want a blast from the past and see some sub culture world of the geeks stuck in 1982 then watch this film.
I'm giving it 4 out of 5.

Thumbup

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 09:56:33 AM »

I'll admit to having been an arcade junkie in high school and college - with a high score of 2.5 MILLION on Gauntlet, set in 1989.  But I have long since moved on to the more emotionally and intellectually satisfying world of Bad Movies and PC gaming.  Now, if you'll excuse me, the Knights of Order are overrunning the Shivering Isles and Sheogorath needs my help!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:36:28 PM »

I happened to watch this a few months ago, one of the last films I rented from Netflix before I put my account on hold.  I really enjoyed the film, and the nerd in me really came to shine.  I love the old arcade games years ago and still do to this day.  I'm not as hardcore as some of the guys in the film were.  I'm not tempted to go for a world record in any game unless I know I have a chance to do it, which I know I don't. 
Torgo

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 03:56:53 PM »

**** out of ****.

Truth is almost always stranger than fiction. I also admit that this movie brought out my old hardcore gaming feelings from when I used to sometimes live in arcades back in the late 80's and early 90's.

The extras on the DVD are as good as the movie itself which is usually not heard of in the DVD age.

"BUY MY HOT SAUCE!!!!"

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »

I'll admit to having been an arcade junkie in high school and college

Yeah what? 20 years ago! I was too, in high school, collage and the military. Galaga, Tempest, Asteroids etc ... spent a fortune on them 25 cents at a time. I moved on, as most of us did.
You just have to watch this film, these guys are in there late 30's early 40's (our generation) and they are obsessed with it.  They analyze it, make charts and diagrams, clear templates over the screens to map moves. I'm not making that up ... it really kind of scary and sad.
You'd think they were planning a solo mission around the earth alone with nothing more than a swiss army knife, no they're playing Donkey Kong!

I mean I want to find a couple of decent arcade consoles for the game room that aren't 2000 miles away, but I'm not going to be planning on overthrowing the the current high score, who cares, I play, when I play for fun. Not to dethrone anyone ... although Billy, the styling hold over from 1981 does need his ass handed to him.

Watch it, you'll enjoy it and being somewhat amazed, saddened and confused at the same time.

One guy, Brain was running around the arcade like a 12 year old telling everybody a KILL SCREEN was coming up on a game and to come watch it ... he's 30! I'd never even heard of a "Kill screen" prior to this.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 05:07:17 PM »

That is kind of sad.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 12:41:27 PM »

Lol, there's all kinds like that. In the town I grew up in, almost every guy was a gearhead. There is STILL a guy that drives his old Monte Carlo with a hoodscoop around like it was 1987 all over again. Another that does the same with his "General Lee" charger. The last time I was there, I saw a sign for a "Rubik's Cube" tournament, kinda pointless now that the Rubik's Cube comes with INSTRUCTIONS on how to solve it. No real genius necessary. 

I have to say, of all the classic arcade games, Donkey Kong is IMO the best, but there's a time to go find a girl, marry her, have some kids, and buy them a Wii so THEY can play the video games and take them more seriously than any normal adult would, which is to say, not too seriously. Reminds me of the older brother in "Napoleon Dynamite", living his life according to a 15-year old high school football 'career'.

Anyways, if you're looking for some nostalgia, there is some software called "Mame" (multiple arcade machine emulator), which allows you to play those old arcade games (some of the "roms", which is the game software, are free, some you must pay for, some unavailable legally). There are people that have made stand-up consoles with a PC at their core, that are set up to play hundreds of games. Seems like a cool project, they even have the capability to work a coin-box for realism. Seems kinda cool, but every time I get semi-seriously looking at it, the project suffers from "feature creep" until I give up. I juts can't see making one without Missile Command and Centipede, which require a trackball.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 12:55:39 PM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Torgo

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 04:44:36 PM »

There are people that have made stand-up consoles with a PC at their core, that are set up to play hundreds of games. Seems like a cool project, they even have the capability to work a coin-box for realism.

I have a friend that did just that.   He has one that has something like 1000 games on it, I wind up playing it quite a bit when I'm hanging out at his place with friends which annoys my friends.   TongueOut 

Torgo

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 10:09:51 PM »

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 01:07:33 AM »

I'd never even heard of a "Kill screen" prior to this.

Neither had I, had to look that one up on the Wikipedia. My reaction is a resounding "BFD". I'm sure this seemed novel back then, but I'm sure anyone that used Windows 95 saw enough of Microsoft's version of "Kill Screen" that the impact is somewhat lost. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 04:07:03 AM »

I watched this the other night and was absolutely riveted!

Cheeze is right.  These guys are obsessed!  And yes, they probably are all virgins with the exceptions of Mitchell and Weibe.
Billy Mitchell came off as a total prick in this film.  An arrogant know-it-all who feels he can never be beat.
The filmmakers really did a good job painting him as the bad guy.

Want to know how far these guys will take their video game obsessions?
Check this out:
Small | Large

And that guy who was obsessed with telling everybody about the "kill screen"...
I personally know a guy who behaves exactly like that.

Kill Screen
Small | Large

Trust me guys...
You've gotta check out this film. 
I give it 4 out of 4 stars and a big  Thumbup

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 04:47:25 PM by Ash » Logged
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 02:30:47 PM »

I didn't know hardcore gamers used the scientific method of research to play.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
BTM

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 03:43:20 PM »

"I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, 'Hi, I see you're good at Centipede."

Uh.. okay.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 05:56:13 PM »

Anyone who has played video games for longer than was healthy will be astounded and perhaps even enthralled by this. One of the best docs I've ever seen. Thumbup

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.