Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:32:00 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The worst "Well-made" movies ever « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The worst "Well-made" movies ever  (Read 11630 times)
Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 02:48:49 AM »

Ozzymandias speaks: The Fountainhead. I saw it on TCM when they had a guest programmer thing. The guy who picked it was a designer or artist. This is a great looking black and white film with a futuristic Art Deco style. The problem is it is so hokey. I don't know what is worst: the "swishy" newspaper guy, "impotent"  business guy (Raymond Massey) and Patricia Neal's obsession with Gary Cooper's "big drill." This last one cracks me up. Everytime Neal thinks of Coop, we see an image of Cooper's power drill making a hole in a piece of marble. Thinking about the drill causes Patricia Neal to have a mini-orgasm.
Yes, this is a film from the late 40's, which is why the sexual image is so funny. Once would have been plenty but shows up again.

ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 11:03:51 PM »

I'm 22 years old

You damn kids get offa my lawn, , and take your rock and roll and your skateboards and your long hair with you. You get going or I'm gonna whack you with my cane.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2008, 11:03:19 AM »

I have a feeling that The Dark Knight is joining Pulp Fiction under the internet banner of "Cool to hate this movie". 

I honestly was not even aware that Dark Knight was becoming a "cool to hate" kind of movie. I hated it when I saw it in theaters, which was actually the night it came out. I actually remember that for the next few weeks after that, whenever I had some time to kill, I went a-lookin' online for reviews of it that weren't "oh my god! this is the best movie ever!" and I had very little luck finding any bad reviews whatsoever. It is only recently that I found a few reviews of the film that are negative, which on one hand is kind of nice (it's nice to know that me and my best friend Nicole aren't the ONLY people in the world who didn't like it, which is how it seemed at first), but on the other hand it seems like there's two problems, in my opinion, with the Dark Knight backlash. 1- Only a few of the negative reviews I've read offer intelligent criticisms and REAL reasons for disliking the film... the rest just seem to be immature "this movie is for a-holes... if you liked it, you're an a-hole" kind of arguments (which I cannot stand), and 2- I have a feeling that much of the backlash is more a reactionary response to the over-saturization of Dark Knight advertising, hype, and praise in the culture, rather than any problems with the film itself... it seems, not in all cases, but in a lot of cases, that the people who write bad reviews of Dark Knight are doing so only out of a desire to balance out all the overzealous overhyped good reviews... while I can respect the desire for dissent, expressing negative opinions about a movie JUST TO BE the dissenting vote, JUST BECAUSE you're irritated by the lack of dissent, rather than by the fact that you actually do feel dissent, is stupid. Let me remind you by the way, that I am one of those people in the minority who DISLIKED (hated, in many ways, in fact) The Dark Knight. But I genuinely disliked it. I didn't dislike it because it's "cool" to. And I don't care for people who do, nor do I care for people who dislike it for little-to-no-reason and insist on making their arguments in a silly, petty, and immature way. If you can back it up, if you can offer intelligent, constructive criticisms and sincere insights about why the movie sucked, then power to ya. It just seems a shame that there's kind of a dearth of that.

I still like it a lot, and the people who bash it, for the most part, are the kind of folks who like comic book movies to be nothing more than mindless explosion-fest action films.

This comment genuinely puzzles me. You don't consider Dark Knight to be a mindless explosion-fest action film? I don't mean this as a personal attack on you, but I gotta disagree. If anything, Dark Knight seemed to, almost slavishly, fit the definition of "mindless explosion-fest action film" to the proverbial T.

Ridiculous car chase sequence featuring lots of things going "boom" and "bang" and absurd amounts of collateral damage? Check.

Incomprehensible plot twists with gaping holes in logic, continuity, and believability? Check (in spades).

Ham-fisted dialogue beating you over the head with it's "subtle" (HA!) messages? Check (again, in spades).

Pointless tangents that lead nowhere and are merely an excuse for otherwise one-dimensional characters to show off how "--insert character quality here--" they are (ruthless, tormented, and torn seem to be the qualities most popular in this particular film, poorly executed though they may be)? Check.

Gratingly over-the-top final showdown between hero and villain & villain's thugs executed in the fashion of derivative video game? Check.

Nonsensical made-up technology? Check. A lot of deux ex machina occurrences that are oh-so convenient? Check. Murky, underdeveloped character motivations and tenuous stereotyped characterizations? Check.

Overwrought acting? Check. Self-important writing full of cliche's? Check. Generic "gritty" direction that, in reality, is slicker than a smooth marble floor coated in baby oil? Check.

I could go on and on and on.

But, hey, that's just my opinion. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, just offer my own arguments of disagreement.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2008, 09:30:11 PM »

Titanic (1997). The grand story of a one-night stand told against the background of one of the 20th century's greatest tragedies, this tripe offends me like few films have ever managed. If I get started griping about all that's wrong here, I'll get myself worked into a rage, and it's just too early for that. Please see my other posts on this movie if anything else needs to be said. This movie is the epitome of the "all flash, no substance" style of moviemaking.

Thank you sir.    Thumbup  My comments are available in several other threads as well. 

I would also like to nominate anything, and I do mean ANYTHING, by M. Knight Shamalamamamamamamama.
Like you two, been there, done that: 
http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,120717.15.html  Thumbup

And "Rose" could not have bought Les Demoiselles d'Avignon!!!  Hatred

Oh!  And I hated THE HOURS.  What was the point of all that misery... 'cademy 'ward winner "Lenert?"   Lookingup 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 09:41:02 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
akiratubo

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2008, 08:14:06 AM »

I agree 100% with WilliamWeird's take on TDK.  I didn't hate it (well, not completely) but TDK is nothing more than a disposable time-waster.  And if I had two hours to kill, there are plenty of other explosion movies I'd stick in the DVD player before TDK.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »

Well said William about TDK. 

I still like it a lot, and the people who bash it, for the most part, are the kind of folks who like comic book movies to be nothing more than mindless explosion-fest action films.
Not a personal attack on you but I respectfully disagree for a few reasons.

The way I look at it is this.  TDK  shined when  Ledger was on the screen because he brought in the much needed chaos and action to the film.  Harvey Dent should have been shoved in the background more because basically, it made it seem there were two movies going on at once.  I'm not sure why we needed so much exposition on Dent anyways.  I think the audience, after the court scene, got the fact he was a fearless good guy with a maniacal edge.

The first time I tolerated all the dialog between Harvey, Rachel and Bruce but on second viewing it bored the hell out of me. So in response to your comment (which I respect because you're entitled to your opinion) I'd prefer mindless exposion-fests to endless emoting between three every day characters.  If I wanted that I'd see Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants.

In other news, heres a film I found pretentious and boring.  Chronicles Of Narnia, The Lion, Witch And The Wardrobe.  Pretty scenes, however no interest was held for me.  I doubt I'll watch the next few installments. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 03:20:37 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2008, 04:48:19 PM »

Ozzymandias speaks: The Fountainhead. I saw it on TCM when they had a guest programmer thing. The guy who picked it was a designer or artist. This is a great looking black and white film with a futuristic Art Deco style. The problem is it is so hokey. I don't know what is worst: the "swishy" newspaper guy, "impotent"  business guy (Raymond Massey) and Patricia Neal's obsession with Gary Cooper's "big drill." This last one cracks me up. Everytime Neal thinks of Coop, we see an image of Cooper's power drill making a hole in a piece of marble. Thinking about the drill causes Patricia Neal to have a mini-orgasm.
Yes, this is a film from the late 40's, which is why the sexual image is so funny. Once would have been plenty but shows up again.
THE FOUNTAINHEAD is horrible, just so lame, and it shows GARY COOPER at his worst.  In the courtroom, after having blown up the building he had designed (the design of which had been altered) COOP says to a series of questions:  "Yes."  "Yes."  "No!"  "Yes...!"   Lookingup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
peter johnson

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »

Almost none of the paintings shown could have been purchased in 1912 -- I just accepted this as a nudge-wink joke on the part of the film maker.  Surely you couldn't have had such a large number of people involved on a picture and not one Art History major amongst them(Titanic).

That said, I didn't flat-out hate this thing the way I thought I might, and actually enjoyed the diving sequences with the little robot subs that were designed specifically for the film, yet remain in service to science to this day.  Nah, gotta say I've had worse reactions to big-budget films than this one.

Gangs of New York:  Flawed, yet with moments of sheer genius, and Daniel Day Lewis's Bill the Butcher is one of the great screen characters of all time.  I own it, and look at the lecture sequence with Day-Lewis wrapped in the flag at least once a month.  That and the initial war-declaration speech at the beginning.  No, 'can't call this one bad by a long shot, though I'm aware of much that is wrong with it, eg.  The wax "scars" that start peeling off DiCaprio's arm midway through a scene, etc.  Day-Lewis's Bill is essentially the same fellow he did for "There Will Be Blood", but I guess part of why he was recognized for "Blood" was that he was ignored for "Gangs".  I think one of the reasons that there was no climactic showdown was precisely because their interstitial warfare was so minute when set against the larger canvass of the times.  The sequence where both of their graves rot into and are absorbed by the growing city says worlds about this -- that and the elephant running through the smoke of the cannon fire.  We may think ours is the most important thing going on, but it aint necessarily so . . .  No, I continue to derive a lot from this film.

As far as a real big-budget stinkeroonie goes, it don't get much worse for me than "The Devil Wears Prada" -- talk about a whole lotta nuttin' goin' on!!!

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2008, 03:05:33 PM »

I will say this for the Dark Knight.

I left the theater thoughtful, and as I drove home I thought about it.  Specifically, I pondered what I would have done if I'd been in Harvey Dent's place and the Joker had been talking to me.  Granted, that's the sort of issue I generally ponder in the gloomy moments when I get philosophical. 

But there have been bloody few other movies that have made me sit back and ponder like that. 

I'm gonna vote for Titanic, Pearl Harbor, and The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008) as my utter stinkburgers. 

Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2008, 08:51:38 PM »

THE FOUNTAINHEAD is horrible, just so lame, and it shows GARY COOPER at his worst.  In the courtroom, after having blown up the building he had designed (the design of which had been altered) COOP says to a series of questions:  "Yes."  "Yes."  "No!"  "Yes...!"   Lookingup
Ozzymandias speaks: Yeah that speech seems to go on way to long. Coop is remembered for the speech in Pride of the Yankees not this one.

Ozzymandias has spoken!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The worst "Well-made" movies ever « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.