Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:49:45 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  You're the Disease... I'm the Cure. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: You're the Disease... I'm the Cure.  (Read 7324 times)
Jape
Dedicated Viewer

Van Dammit!

« on: December 13, 2008, 10:36:41 AM »

Small | Large

Shades, alligator boots, matchstick-in-mouth, AWSOM license plate, cults, robo-erotic photoshoots, generic aspirational rock ballads, faux ivory-handled pistols, begruding interracial respect between white authority figures and hispanic gangs, and probably the worst name ever retroactively shoehorned into a nickname... its COBRA!

Tapering towards the end of a Stallonathon (Rocky V, Rambo III, Stop or My Mom will Shoot) we put this badboy on. We were drunk, in high spirits and laughing our asses off, yet we couldn't finish this film. It managed to be totally cliched yet bizarrly unique at the same time and 40 minutes towards the end we just had to call it quits.

As someone whoes bourne the brunt of Italian giallo, Turkish knock-offs and Skid Row flicks that would make Ed Wood himself blush, the fact a mainstream Hollwood action film stopped me in my tracks shocked me.

What do other people think? Is this film really as bad as my inebriated brain thought?

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me... it was Tuesday".
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 01:49:58 PM »

This is without doubt my favourite film of all time, it has everything!  Smile (I would type more, but I'm eating at the moment, I shall elaborate later)

Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 07:10:17 PM »

Love this film.  It's so ridiculous, but so great.  Well, great in the entertainment sense.  It's like someone decided Dirty Harry wasn't right wing enough and decided to have him kill five times as many people while spouting way more eightyish one-liners.  Plus, I love the guy who plays the Night Slasher.  Pacing is also excellent - the longest break in action/violence is about 14 minutes (right before the finale, which is basically a non-stop series of scenes of Stallone killing people for 20+ minutes), at most other times it's closer to 5 or 6 minutes.  I'm actually analyzing it and other eighties films for an essay I'm writing on ideology in film (Invasion USA, Death Wish 3, Commando, also feature). 

Also, gotta love the 1950 Mercury.  Gorgeous car.  According to the DVD, the modified one in the film can go 0-60 in 4 seconds.

If you're wondering, there are 52 deaths in the film, in the same ball park as Rambo 2 (though Rambo 2 still beats it).  Still pretty ridiculous for a film about a cop tracking a serial killer. 
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:05:26 AM »

I saw this in Boston at a "sneak preview" the night before its "official" theatrical release.  I was numb when I exited the theater.  Terrible.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 10:57:28 AM »

I think "Cobra" is pretty entertaining for what is a standard "Dirty Harry" type plot with weird, death cult bells on. The action scenes are pretty good if somewhat nasty.

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 06:32:34 PM »

Movies with 1980's rock/power ballads are way cool.
I have yet to see this film but I'm intrigued by the trailer.
Further investigation may be necessary.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 07:48:37 PM »

This is one of those movies that I liked alot, yet had forgotten about. This is the last film SS made before he got into a rut of terrible films for a while. Great ending BTW, as grueling as it was definitive.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Torgo

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 10:52:09 PM »

A lot of people forget that  Sylvester Stallone was attached to Beverly Hills  Cop  during the initial stages and he ended up leaving that film due to creative differences with the producers.  He was wanting more action. they were wanting more humor.

So, look at Cobra as what Beverly Hills Cop could have ended up being like if he had stayed on with it.   TeddyR

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 10:59:40 PM »

Really? They're just such different movies. I liked BHC 1 and 2, they were good at the time. Good thing he bailed, what was the first comedy he did after Cobra? "Stop or my Mom will Shoot"? Yea, they did good letting him move on.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 06:30:07 AM »

You've got to love this one. Everything's there, the übercool rogue cop, the nervous police chief, the stunning blonde, the souped up car, and last but not least, the maniacal killer. And all in great dollops! Cobra even makes a remark on ketchup on fries (if memory serves), which may or may not be a source in Pulp Fiction.

One of the truly great Stallones.

We are the future
No, you're history

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 03:28:27 PM »

Best exchange ever in a film:

Supermarket Killer: Get back! I got a bomb here! I'll blow this whole place up!

Marion Cobretti: Go ahead. I don't shop here.

BounceGiggle

Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 03:29:12 PM »

Awesome movie.  A couple more good quotes: 

All right, just relax, Amigo. You wanna talk - we'll talk. I'm a sucker for great conversation.

Hey dirtbag, you're a lousy shot. I don't like lousy shots. You wasted a kid... for nothing. Now I think it's time to waste you!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  You're the Disease... I'm the Cure. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.