Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:25:40 PM
714362 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  House (2008) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: House (2008)  (Read 1948 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 16, 2008, 02:53:37 PM »

I've read the book upon which this movie is based.  I wouldn't call it a good book, per se, but it at least held my attention.  You could have made a perfectly serviceable little move out of the book.  The events in the book take place over the course of only a few hours, the pacing was taught, and there wasn't much that would need to be trimmed to make, say, a 100-minute thriller.

So, of course, when some schmucks got around to adapting it into a movie, they threw away about half the book and arranged what they did film into an incoherent mess.  The pacing alternates from "GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!" to "Whoa!  Hold on, what?".  The movie generally seems edited together at random.  It sucks.  It doesn't even suck in a good way, so that you can laugh at it.  There are some laughs but not nearly enough.

Michael Madsen is in the movie.  Sort of.  I'm not entirely convinced he spoke a single line of dialogue.  He shows up and does his patented squinty thing, but every time his character speaks, there's something covering his mouth.  Else, his mouth moves a little then it cuts away before he actually speaks.  "His" voice also sounds weird.  I honestly think he refused to speak and someone dubbed over his lines later.  The man is clearly not having any fun.  At any rate, he plays the main villain, The Tin Man.

Of the four main characters, the two men couldn't act their way out of a closet with no door and the two women are actually pretty good.  Pity the ladies don't get much to do.  One of them disappears for almost the entire 2nd act, and the other isn't given much to do but wave her boobs in the camera and dribble pudding down her chin suggestively.  Don't ask.

The book turned out to be a Christian horror novel, of all things.  At the end, the survivors had to repent and accept Jesus.  Now, as a Christian myself, I thought that was pretty neat.  However, I feel the novel mishandled the climax significantly.  I won't get into why I think that because I don't want to open a can of worms.

But whatever I think the book did wrong, the movie in infinitely worse!  There's no hint of any kind of religious message here (Christian or otherwise), or even a basic good/evil moral.  No, the two survivors defeat Tin Man with GLOWING COTTON BALLS.

GLOWING COTTON BALLS

GLOWING.  COTTON.  BALLS

This movie has a spooky little girl(TM) in it.  She looks almost exactly like Samara from The Ring.  Anyway, Tin Man shoots her and her chest erupts into GLOWING COTTON BALLS.  The two remaining characters touch them, thus becoming immune to Tin Man, and then a huge stream of GLOWING COTTON BALLS launches from the girl's chest and burns Tin Man to death.  Well, actually, it looks more like he's been encased in asphalt but whatever.

Blah.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 02:58:15 PM by akiratubo » Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:20:55 PM »

Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti? Definitely Christian. I work in a library, and Dekker's pretty popular these days.

For a second I thought somebody remade the 1986 classic House. Why somebody would do such a thing, I don't know.

I probably won't ever get into this one, book or movie. Not my cup of tea, but Godspeed you for trying, good sir.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 10:52:23 PM »

For a second I thought somebody remade the 1986 classic House. Why somebody would do such a thing, I don't know.
Umm, because that House was written by Fred Dekker? XD
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2081579/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0215269/
I heard of this movie a while back and immediately thought just that. I am thankful there is no apprent connection, though I am rather surprised at the amount of popularity this film has gotten. Buggedout I doubt I'll see it anytime soon but reading your review it's a bit more likely than before.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  House (2008) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.