Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:09:49 AM
714229 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bad movie translation job for anyone interested. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bad movie translation job for anyone interested.  (Read 3507 times)
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« on: October 21, 2008, 08:11:22 AM »

I've got a few Mexican movies that I'd like to get translated into English. I'm offering $20 per movie to anyone who speaks fluent Spanish and can transcribe these for me. I need time codes as well, plus I need to know when there are breaks between characters during conversations. I'm putting together some homebrew subtitles, so those last two are very important. I'll also gladly send my translator(s) copies of the movies once I've subtitled them. This is an opportunity to see some rare and cheesy south-of-the-border cinema, and for somebody to take advantage of my refusal to pay attention in Spanish class while in high school. If anyone is interested, you can reply to this thread or PM me. First one who wants it gets it. I'll mail you a copy of the first movie and once you send me a .txt file with the transcript I'll either PayPal you the money or mail out a money order for you the next day. Savy?

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 09:45:08 AM »

I'm putting together some homebrew subtitles

Why not ad-lib your own hilarious subtitles and put them on?
It'd be like rifftrax but with subtitles instead.   TeddyR
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:40:24 AM »

I'm putting together some homebrew subtitles

Why not ad-lib your own hilarious subtitles and put them on?
It'd be like rifftrax but with subtitles instead.   TeddyR

You know Ash, we've been tossing around something like that at the Tomb for a while now. Personally I just want to get the real subtitles done for now, but great minds think alike and all that.  Wink

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 11:20:05 AM »

Man, I wish I spoke Spanish, I'd take that job in a heartbeat.

Anubis, are these movies that have never been translated into English before?  Sounds exciting, because I bet there are still a treasure trove of 3rd world movies that are unknown to us because they seemed too "bad" to be worth translating.

Hope someone takes you up on it.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 11:55:01 AM »

Anubis, are these movies that have never been translated into English before?  Sounds exciting, because I bet there are still a treasure trove of 3rd world movies that are unknown to us because they seemed too "bad" to be worth translating.

At least not that I've seen Reverend. The ones in question are some luchadore titles that fall outside of the Santo and Blue Demon stuff. I'd also like to find someone fluent in Japanese to translate my copy of Sweet Home too, but I figure Spanish would be an easier language to find help with first. Living in Brooklyn I posted on Craigslist since New York is a melting pot, but so far no takers. Bluesad

schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 12:45:31 PM »

At least not that I've seen Reverend. The ones in question are some luchadore titles that fall outside of the Santo and Blue Demon stuff. I'd also like to find someone fluent in Japanese to translate my copy of Sweet Home too, but I figure Spanish would be an easier language to find help with first. Living in Brooklyn I posted on Craigslist since New York is a melting pot, but so far no takers. Bluesad

Well, the price you're offering works out to about 50 cents an hour, max. Ever tried to transcribe anything? I've done it in *English* and it's tedious, incredibly time-consuming work.

You need to find someone who'd do it as a labor of love.
Julio
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 10:22:08 AM »

Hey dont know if you still need someone to translate! I can do it if you still need someone!
To be honest i feel i can do it better than some of the regular movies out there.
I am a Mexican American 36yrs of age,live on the border, college educated & know both Languages very well! And to be honest alot of what Hollywood translates alot of it is not said right or changed! Or the voices they add to characters are retarded! We dont talk like that!
I can translate it and if you got some slang,or saying, riddles etc. that doesnt translate well, i can maybe try to tweak it to make it make sense! let me know what you think!
Caronte
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 11:56:59 AM »

Hi, I'm spanish, I would do it if you send the time codes, so I only would have to translate it.  Cheers

Jim H

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 01:42:19 PM »

Well, the price you're offering works out to about 50 cents an hour, max. Ever tried to transcribe anything? I've done it in *English* and it's tedious, incredibly time-consuming work.

You need to find someone who'd do it as a labor of love.

Yeah, I had a friend who did some Japanese translation for a dub work (I'd say he is conversationally fluent, but not too close to native speaker fluent).  A 20 minute anime episode took him an entire day of non-stop work.

I will say, however, if you don't mind a crappy job it's possible to do it quicker.  I knew someone who knocked together very basic (no translation of slang, no contextual changes, no character separation, just enough to get the gist of the plot and such) spanish subtitles in about 5 hours on a 90 minute movie. 

Just remember the results will be akin to the subtitles you get on Hong Kong VHS tapes from the 80s. 
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bad movie translation job for anyone interested. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.