Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:11:27 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Red Dwarf « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Red Dwarf  (Read 12451 times)
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« on: December 19, 2008, 12:03:12 AM »

When I first heard about this Cult British series from the late 80's, I didn't have much desire to watch it.  I didn't even know it was a sitcom...I thought it was just another Star Trek wannabe Sci-Fi show.  Then I found it on Netflix a few days ago, and decided to give the first series a try. 

All I can say is...wow!  It has been years since I've seen a sitcom with this much originality and imagination, that still, at its core, manages to amuse and satisfy like any other good show of its ilk.  I don't want to spoil any details for the uninitiated, but I'll just say that there's a good reason why this series has a 9.1 rating on IMDB. 

I've finished series one tonight, and have Series 2 ready to go soon. 

Anyone who's seen this series, I'd love to hear from you.  Anyone who hasn't checked it out yet, I say you should watch at least one episode and see what you think.   Smile
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 01:10:40 AM »

One thing I've always admired about British sci-fi, is how they tend to give serious thought to possibilities...
Particularly, the potential for temporal disruptions resulting in very embarrassing situations.

"Simply put, when our future selves killed us in the present, they inadvertently killed themselves in the past..."

"It's an orange swirly thing in space!"

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 03:01:51 AM »

i absolutely love this series. as a kid, the public television stations in new england (maine, vermont, new hampshire, etc.) showed lots of tom baker dr. who, and then as a teen, they were airing a lot of red dwarf, especially the 4th, 6th, and 6th seasons, and i couldn't get enough.

i thought the dynamic lost a bit of steam when you-know-who joined the series (don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen the later seasons), but it always managed to be in turns, juvenile, though-provoking, darkly wry, and genuinely sentimental.

probably one of the best series ever, regardless of category.

the season 7 opener, tikka to ride, is probably my favorite, and i feel like it does a good job of representing the series as a whole, although it might not be a great place to start, as that might leave you lacking a bit of context, characters and idioms-wise.

while season 1 has some great episodes, waiting for god and confidence & paranoia in particular, we really didn't get the classic dwarf group together until the season 2 opener, kryten.

doesn't matter though. none of you are dummies. start anywhere you'd like. like charles fort said, "one measures a circle starting anywhere".

wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 08:29:46 AM »

Awesome show, they used to show it late night on public tv but that was years ago. I always liked british sci-fi the storys were just so weird and quirky but still they always managed to work. And I would have to say that there creature and set designs were always better than anything done in america, they actually made there aliens look alien.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 11:54:08 AM »

Series 2 and 6 are the best !!!!

Series 7 and 8 are....

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 03:40:16 PM »

I enjoyed this show thanks to BBC-America via satellite TV. I've been tempted to buy the DVDs, but I just haven't been able to justify the cost at this point. Still, it's a very fun show.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 03:51:10 PM »

yeah, the cost isn't low, but i had to have each season, even if it did cost me an arm and a leg.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 04:11:26 PM »

I grew up with Red Dwarf, would always watch it in the evenings after school in my room on my crappy ol' portable. I totally loved the cat and the theme song always cheered me up no matter what. I must admit, I lost track of the later series', they never really held my interest. Still a fantastic comedy show tho'.  Thumbup

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 06:20:30 PM »

I found Dwarf about 10 years or so ago and LOVED it. The writers had a very unique way of looking at things, kinda reminds me of Douglass Adams. I liked the idea of the computer getting senile, , and bored for that matter. Bribeable robots, vengeful vending machines, robots with OCD, and one being the combination of a complete egomaniac, a total failure, and DEAD, all at the same time. Great show, pity the movie deal never happened.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 08:39:48 PM »

If you can't stand robots with groinal sockets, annoying talking toasters, and a ship's computer with an IQ of 6000 (PE teachers that is), then Red Dwarf is not for you and you are a smegging smeghead!!

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 06:27:01 AM »

I have a particular fondness for this show. The writing and acting are just perfect. I think that Series 5 and 6 are the best when the plots developed a stronger orientation towards action as well as comedy.

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
Doggett

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 03:22:49 PM »

You guys know that this show is coming back for 2 specials, right ?

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 03:26:11 PM »

No, I was not aware of this. What a pleasant surprise.  Smile

Doggett

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »

No, I was not aware of this. What a pleasant surprise.  Smile

Seriously ?
I thought everyone knew.
I figured that's why everyone is jumping on the Dwarf band wagon.
They're gonna be on channel Dave not the BBC, if you're wondering.

JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 03:41:31 PM »

I think I posted something about the new specials on the "Press Releases" board back around September>

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Red Dwarf « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.