Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:46:41 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Getting images and clips from films (DVD) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Getting images and clips from films (DVD)  (Read 4072 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: December 24, 2008, 11:28:16 AM »

Probably asked a hundred times before but here goes..

If I want to submit a review of a movie to this site-how do you get images and movie clips from the movie to place in the review.  What programs are used?  Are there free ones available?  Tutorials?

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 12:25:46 PM »

The Cyberlink Power DVD program that came with my DVD player for my computer has a frame capture feature.
Just pause the movie, hit a button and it saves it to the hard drive.
Then I upload the pic to Imageshack and it's ready to go.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 12:30:41 PM »

for images do Atl+print screen and use paint to paste and edit

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 04:02:21 PM »

Cyberlink works on some images, but it gives me a blank image on others.  It depends on the amount of interlacing in the source, I'm told.  Maybe Ash has a more updated version than mine that will perform proper frame captures. 

The same thing happens when I use the method Darksider mentions: most of the time it works, but sometimes I get a blank image.

I use the freeware VLC Media Player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) for stills.  Never fails, and as a DVD player it's equal or better than the commercial programs I've used. 

I'd be curious as to what Andrew uses to create clips.  I think it may require a hardware card to be able to perform captures of streaming media, but I'm not 100% certain.

As far as reviews for this site are concerned, Andrew will do the clip captures for you if the review is selected and he has the DVD (he did for my review, at least).  I think he'll also do the stills, but it would save him work if you could do them yourself.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 06:19:20 PM »

If I have the movie in my collection, doing the multimedia work is no problem.  I've also bought quite a few movies, just because I was going to post the reader review.

Here's a quick lowdown on the work laptop and system:

My current setup is a Dell E1505 laptop, with a Pinnacle Moviebox Plus USB2 capture device. The Moviebox unit comes with editing software, Pinnacle's Studio Plus, that I use to capture and edit the video. To edit the audio clips, I use a Behringer mixer and firewire device, along with Creative Labs' Wave Studio software.

A Pioneer DVL-700 Laserdisc/DVD player, Pioneer VSX-D557 Tuner, and Sony 4-Head Stereo VCR complete the setup. When capturing from DVD or LD, I use the super VHS connector on my Moviebox; VHS tapes are using the standard RCA jacks on the Moviebox.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 12:48:52 PM »

On the whole, the easiest way to capture proper looking DVD footage is with a hardware capture card.  Just my experience (I used to have a TV Wonder and an All-in-Wonder - you can see clips I captured using them in the Aberration user review).

Otherwise, you can rip clips with DVD Shrink.  It's freeware and does a pretty good job, though you can't get them exactly how you want.  I use it to rip clips within a few seconds of where I want, then use VirtualDub to trim the footage, deinterlace, and convert it into a smaller file format (like DivX or what have you). 

To rip clips with DVD shrink, you open the disc, then say you're going to "re-author" it.  You drag the title of your movie over to the bit on the left, then right click it and select start and ending frames.  You can keep dragging the the main title over and selecting alternate start and end points to grab more clips.  The big problem I have is glitchy interlacing errors.  Can't ever seem to get around them too well.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 11:18:03 AM »

It works!!!!

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
CaptnTripps
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 07:29:06 PM »

For a while I made music videos to movies and i used a program you can download called Fraps to capture video.

http://www.fraps.com/

"Look at this! It bit me, i've been savaged"
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 08:29:01 PM »

It works!!!!
But not always. Bluesad

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Getting images and clips from films (DVD) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.