Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:59:06 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  So I'm watching Poltergeist ... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So I'm watching Poltergeist ...  (Read 3512 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 25, 2008, 10:48:05 PM »

... and not only do I realize that M. Night Shyamalan stole the whole "dead people who don't know they're dead and communicate with a small child" plot from Poltergeist but the freaking Cloverfield monster comes from there, too!

Small | Large

At about 8:06, the ghosts form into a creature which looks a whole lot like the Cloverfield monster.  At around 8:16-8:30 you get some real good looks at it.  It's skeletal, has very long skinny arms, has the same basic head profile.

Man, who would have thought?

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 12:31:58 PM »

Good points.  I've always felt Poltergeist was one of those films that was ahead of it's time.  Although it may not have excelled in special effects, it had simple scares that worked 100 times better than most of the shlock Hollywood pumps out nowadays. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 02:42:10 PM »

I agree, and I think they hit home with a lot of people with things like the whole clown scene. The way TV entered the plot, a signal-less TV in an otherwise dark room, for me anyways, makes me think of the movie whenever It's late and the cable goes out or such. Definitely ahead of it's time, it's about the only movie I know of that some friends of mine weren't allowed to watch because of how scary it was. Not language, or gore, or nudity, just simply fear. It's as much about what they DIDN'T show as what they did. They didn't show Carrol-Ann dismembered or all bloodied up, she was there, seemingly unharmed, but of uncertain fate. I really liked the sequel, the third one, not so much.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 03:01:39 PM »

Poltergeist is a family film in a way that's mostly lost today.  These days, "family films" tend to be completely inane (you know, because kids are stupid) but with a lot of sexual innuendo thrown in for the adults to "get".  Poltergeist, on the other hand, is simply a movie that can scare the s**t out of the entire family!

Most reviews I read talk about how the movie is "for kids", with monsters in the closet and killer trees outside the window, but a monster in the closet or a tree that eats you ought to be scary for an adult, too!  Just look at the guy peeling his face off.  Watch the scene where JoBeth Williams falls in the swimming pool pit at the end.  That's sure as hell not just for kids!

If anything, now that I'm old enough to think about it a little more deeply, Poltergeist is even scarier than I remember it being when I was a wee lad.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 12:31:33 PM »

... and not only do I realize that M. Night Shyamalan stole the whole "dead people who don't know they're dead and communicate with a small child" plot from Poltergeist but the freaking Cloverfield monster comes from there, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZE9KZBYsko&feature=related

At about 8:06, the ghosts form into a creature which looks a whole lot like the Cloverfield monster.  At around 8:16-8:30 you get some real good looks at it.  It's skeletal, has very long skinny arms, has the same basic head profile.

Man, who would have thought?

Is that the monster ?
It's good, ain't it ?

I'd recommend you give Poltergeist 2 a look.
However, AVOID THE THIRD ONE AT ALL COSTS!!!!.
I wonder if the third has been reviewed on the site...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 01:24:49 PM by doggett » Logged

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 02:38:51 PM »

Yep, that's the one, although either that image or the youtube clip are mirrored for some reason, likely the image sincethe clip has a shot if a moving van with the lettering displayed correctly.

Also, 3 wasn't that bad IIRC, it just wasn't the same, and wasn't as good.

Also, has anyone read anything about Dominique Dunne, she was the older sister. She was choked to death in her own driveway by an ex-boyfriend, whom she already had a restraining order against, and the guy does a total of around six years for it. Sad, apparently she did an episode of Hill Street Blues where she portrayed someone that had been abused, and they didn't need much makeup because she was already bruised up from him.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 01:08:30 PM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 06:09:06 PM »

Poltergeist is a family film in a way that's mostly lost today.  These days, "family films" tend to be completely inane (you know, because kids are stupid) but with a lot of sexual innuendo thrown in for the adults to "get".  Poltergeist, on the other hand, is simply a movie that can scare the s**t out of the entire family!

Most reviews I read talk about how the movie is "for kids", with monsters in the closet and killer trees outside the window, but a monster in the closet or a tree that eats you ought to be scary for an adult, too!  Just look at the guy peeling his face off.  Watch the scene where JoBeth Williams falls in the swimming pool pit at the end.  That's sure as hell not just for kids!

If anything, now that I'm old enough to think about it a little more deeply, Poltergeist is even scarier than I remember it being when I was a wee lad.
I'd argue that parents shouldn't show this to a kid.  For myself, this film's scares rank up there with that of the Exorcist.  Yes thats a bold statement but for myself I'd probably have less goosebumps watching Linda Blair rotate her head 360 than that damn clown scene. That scene is easily one of the most brilliant shot scene in movie history.  We've all had that god awful thing in our room we swore was going to get us one day as kids.  Of course my fear of clowns plays into that scene as well. 

The guy peeling his face off was definitely something a kid shouldn't see.  There are a lot of adult orientated scenes throughout   During the clown attack scene, the mother arguably gets sexually molested by a naughty spirit.  It starts by lifting her shirt up and tossing her around the room for a bit.  Then theres the whole pot smoking thing which I never understood as a child.  Perhaps the most tame scene is the one involving the tree eating the kid.  Even that is nightmare inducing. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 09:52:12 PM »

That movie had great pace, and good buildup.

The way the kid is creeped out by the clown for nights on end, and keeps tossing the blanket on his face... and then one night, it just doesn't take. 
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 11:55:19 AM »

I don't see anything wrong with showing Poltergeist to children my mum showed it to me when I was a kid and I loved it.
Except the clown bit...
Scary...

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 10:21:12 PM »

Saw POLTERGEIST new in the theatre in 1982.  At the time, the effects were great, and though it is largely a light-show, it's never boring.  I am a fan of TOBE HOOPER films.  If I had a complaint with this film, it'd be it breaks rules, and goes way over the top by the end (but certainly in a way audiences would enjoy!)  I think in our jaded "post rock" age POLTERGEIST can easily fit into the slot of "Family Film," but in its day the film challenged that purpose, and won out, a huge hit.   

Akiratubo, the idea of child medium to dead unawares was not novel when POLTERGEIST was made; I'll simply mention THE INNOCENTS but there are other examples.  I'd say M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN mined the usual sources, but created a film with a unique perspective. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
akiratubo

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 03:04:38 PM »

Akiratubo, the idea of child medium to dead unawares was not novel when POLTERGEIST was made

True, but The Sixth Sense explains the ghosts in almost exactly the same terms as in Poltergeist.  The scenes in question even take place between a little boy and a psychologist in both films.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  So I'm watching Poltergeist ... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.