Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:23:16 AM
714337 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  GRAN TORINO (2008) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GRAN TORINO (2008)  (Read 5197 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 27, 2008, 08:03:54 PM »

Not a great movie . . . but a good movie.

The trailers are somewhat misleading and make this look like a Clint Eastwood / tough guy / kick butt and take names movie about a tough old guy standing up to gang bangers in the Detroit area.  Well . . . it is that kind of movie . . . sort of . . . but it's really more of a character study.

I'll try to summarize this without revealing any SPOILERS (but if you really want to see this movie without knowing much about it, maybe you shouldn't read any further).

Clint plays a Korean War vet who can't hold meaningful relationships with his sons or their families.  A series of events lead him to assist his neighbor, an Asian teenager whose cousin is trying to recruit him into a gang.  Most of the story involves Clint's growing and changing relationship with his Asian neighbors . . . but there are a few scenes with Clint gritting his teeth and standing up to the local tough guys. 

If you are expecting DIRTY HARRY 2008 or DEATH WISH 10 you will be disappointed by this movie.  This is more like Clint Eastwood's version of HARRY AND TONTO . . . minus the cat . . . but plus a few firearms. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 08:37:43 PM »

If you are expecting DIRTY HARRY 2008 or DEATH WISH 10 you will be disappointed by this movie.  

I have to thank you for this because this is what I was hoping it would be.  I'm gonig to avoid it like the plague now. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Torgo

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:53:33 PM »

This one is on my ultra long "to see" list.  A couple of friends mine have seen it and said that while Clint's performance is excellent that the rest of the cast is kind of uneven.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 05:25:10 PM »

A couple of friends mine have seen it and said that while Clint's performance is excellent that the rest of the cast is kind of uneven.

I agree with your friends.  Clint stands out among a cast of mostly middle-of-the-road actors.  And even Clint has a few too many scenes where there is a close-up of his face and he grits his teeth and snarls.  It was amusing the first and maybe second time, but after he did it about 5 times it started to get annoying.  But it's still a good movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Javakoala
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 08:24:21 PM »

If you are expecting DIRTY HARRY 2008 or DEATH WISH 10 you will be disappointed by this movie.  This is more like Clint Eastwood's version of HARRY AND TONTO . . . minus the cat . . . but plus a few firearms. 

Ooh, new high-concept film idea:  Terminator And Tonto, but the cat, you see, is a walking arsenal, and when the two of them aren't grumbling about the traffic, they're blowing up the cars and buildings.  Frolicking on the beach and sinking ships at sea.  Ah, beautiful, man!

Okay, well, I'd watch it....
Torgo

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 04:17:50 PM »

*** out of ****.

I agree that some of the other actors in the movie have some moments where they are kind of sub-par, but Clint truly carries this entire movie on his shoulders.   The movie is kind of bumpy during its 1st act but finally finds its groove in the 2nd act and from that point on it's smooth sailing.

akiratubo

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 06:26:20 PM »

I give Gran Torino 5 out of 4 stars.  It is excellent, damn near a perfect movie.  Frankly, I would have been disappointed if it had turned into something like Dirty Harry: Retiree.  The movie never seemed like it was leading up to that.

There is a stretch of about ten minutes that gets tedious, but everything else is spot-on.  Well cast, well written, well acted, well directed, well scored.  Like I said, 5 out of 4 stars.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 08:52:28 PM »

A couple of friends mine have seen it and said that while Clint's performance is excellent that the rest of the cast is kind of uneven.

Doesn't this describe 90% of his movies?  Sondra Locke anyone?
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 09:10:17 PM »

I loved this movie.  I thought it was even better than Million Dollar Baby, which to me was always a bit overrated. 

Clint Eastwood was splendid as usual, and I have no complaints about the rest of the cast.  You don't always need to surround the guy with big names like Hillary Swank or Morgan Freeman.  The cast were simply playing the parts of ordinary people in the world, which I think they did rather well, so I don't really understand the criticism there. 

I think the OP made another good point with how they're marketing this movie, and completely missing the point of it.  People are gonna go in expecting another cookie-cutter "Death Wish" type movie, and they're gonna be disappointed because of it.
Neville

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 05:14:34 PM »

Just seen it, and enjoyed every minute of it. It's not particularly great, but it's thoroughly entertaining, and it works nicely as a re-write of earlier Eastwood's films, like "Dirty Harry" or "Heartbreak Ridge", because Eastwood plays a similar type of character in his 70s. And of course he can't just solve things only by kicking ass anymore.

And yes, sometimes he overdoes the crusty old man so much you could believe he's gonna break the fourth wall. It's probably going to be his last acting, at least as the lead, and he seems to be enjoying it as much as he can.

And now... get off my lawn!  Hatred  BounceGiggle

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
odinn7

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 12:44:11 AM »

I saw this film last week. I am a big Eastwood fan so I felt that I should see it in the theaters. I went into it fooled by the advertising and expecting lots of gun violence and ass kicking. I have to say, when I started to realize this was not the true direction of the film, I started to feel disappointed. BUT....I sat there and watched...and I became engrossed in the film...and I wound up loving it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Torgo

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 07:55:04 PM »

They're really advertising the movie wrong, but everyone I know who has seen it has had the same opinion that I did. The movie wound up going in a completely different direction than what I thought it was going to based on the ads/trailers.

Terf
Bad Movie Lover

I wish I could be as popular as you think you are.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 08:49:07 PM »

I heard it was a "brilliant" movie, and really want to see it.

Things could be worse; you could be twins.
Jim H

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 01:04:15 PM »

Solid film.  I did quite enjoy it.  I agree that the first act is a little shaky, and some of the other actors are a little weak at times.  Still, it's a good film. 

I'd suggest not walking out as soon as the credits roll, as you get to hear Clint Eastwood sing.  That's gotta be worth something, right?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  GRAN TORINO (2008) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.