Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:15:55 PM
714381 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I just bought my favorite movie of all time ... « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: I just bought my favorite movie of all time ...  (Read 16225 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 02:47:44 PM »

Some of the logic doesn't follow:
It's legal to buy a used copy, even though the artist doesn't benefit. Let's say in most cases new copies are available, yet buying used is chosen because the buyer doesn't value the disc at $20.00. However it's frowned upon if someone burns a copy for their own collection?

This is the original buyer's right - that of first sale.  Would it be fair to you if a car maker could say that you cannot sell a car that they made?  That only they can sell their cars?  Once you buy something you own it, and you should be able to sell it if you want.  What you are selling is a copy that the creator made.  They already benefited from the first sale.  The creator's rights are preserved, and so are yours.

I'm sorry to say this, but it's really the fault of the owner if they don't sell a product that can actively prevent people from making copies.
You've got to be responsible for your own property. Just like you don't leave your doors and windows unlocked!

This is a hollow argument.  You are saying that because you do not want to pay the price that someone establishes for their product then what you are doing is OK.  And you are just providing arguments for DRM, which is awful.  DRM interferes with the rights of people who legitimately purchase movies, music, and games.  People with the attitude of "if you don't want me to steal it, then protect it" are partially to blame.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 02:50:37 PM »

Andrew answered Nukie more concisely (as usual  TongueOut) while I was typing my response, but I'll add my two cents as well.

Some of the logic doesn't follow:
It's legal to buy a used copy, even though the artist doesn't benefit. Let's say in most cases new copies are available, yet buying used is chosen because the buyer doesn't value the disc at $20.00. However it's frowned upon if someone burns a copy for their own collection?

Not 100% clear on the scenario you're proposing.  Are you saying you see no difference between reselling a used copy of a CD you bought but no longer want, and giving away a free copy to someone else while still keeping the original CD?

In the first case, only one person has a copy of the CD, and both have paid for it.  In the second, two people have a copy of the CD, and only one has paid for it.      

If the label only prints 100 CDs, and everyone follows the rules, 100 copies are sold and only 100 CDs will be in circulation at any time.  There's a market for 100 CDs and everyone who wants one has one.  

If everyone who bought one of the original 100 CDs makes a copy and gives it to a friend for free while keeping a copy for themselves, then 200 CDs are in circulation, but only 100 have been bought.  There's now a potential market for 200 CDs.  Some of the people who got a free copy would have bought a used copy, some wouldn't have bought any copy, but some would have purchased a full priced copy.    

Back when people made individual copies of records on blank tapes, it was not a big deal.  But digital distribution all over the world at the click of a button makes it a big deal.  

Taken to the extreme, only one person ever has to buy a CD.  He can then rip it to mp3s and upload it to a file-sharing service where the entire world can enjoy it.  This doesn't happen only because some good-hearted people want to be sure the artist/producer gets their fair share, or because some people aren't technologically proficient enough to figure out how to use file-sharing.  

I don't think its any coincidence that CD sales dropped 30% in the 3 years after Napster went online.    

Burning shouldn't be equated with piracy; the person isn't selling copies on the black market.

Semantics.  Makes no difference if you sell or give away an illegal copy.  If you shoplift a candy bar and give it away to your girlfriend, you can't say you're not guilty of a crime because you didn't profit.  

I'm sorry to say this, but it's really the fault of the owner if they don't sell a product that can actively prevent people from making copies.
You've got to be responsible for your own property. Just like you don't leave your doors and windows unlocked!

Can't blame the victim.  I imagine if you leave your door unlocked one night and you're robbed, you won't say, "good one, burglar, you got me!  You earned that stereo system!  Well done!"

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009, 03:09:38 PM »

-Jimmybob

Thumbup

That image caught me by surprise.

As a university student I have an external hard drive which I rip my films onto, as it saves having the DVD here in halls.

I do find it sickerning that anyone can support DRM. I am buying a copy of a film not renting the damn thing. Will they try what they have done with games requiring online activations for the DVD copy to even work? Earth 2160 required me to phone up to get the game to work as the damn thing did not detect my internet connection. The main serious issue of anti piracy protection is the damage to the 2nd hand market and the fact servers and companies will not always be around. This means one day your copy of X will just stop working.

Anyway I am off to watch return of the killer tomatoes. It took 4 evening to watch through attack of the killer tomatoes. I am holding onto a faint hope that the sequel has managed to become better than the original.

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2009, 08:18:03 PM »

Okay, I was wrong. TeddyR

But I dunno if I can just blame pirates for consumers right of resale being taken away. Could buyers who hoard and sell a used product be blamed too?

I don't know the figures here, but is the media-market totally moving away from the DVD, to something with a shelf-life? Or are we going to stay at both, and those who pay for temporary, just pay less?

Quote from: Rev.Powell
the label only prints 100 CDs, and everyone follows the rules, 100 copies are sold and only 100 CDs will be in circulation at any time.  There's a market for 100 CDs and everyone who wants one has one. 

Either the firm has a small demographic, or they are hoarding (if thats the correct term).
But hoarding would only hurt such a firm these days; it would benefit the pirates.
If the firm has such a small demographic it might be too costly to print, or they really don't have to worry about pirating.

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2009, 01:49:40 AM »

You know if you burn you're own copy you can delete all those piracy warning in custom setup ... oh the irony. Or so I've heard.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:57:38 AM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2009, 06:53:28 AM »

You know if you burn you're own copy you can delete all those piracy warning in custom setup ... oh the irony. Or so I've heard.

Well when you rip it off the DVD you can only take the movie files if you wish so no anti piracy ad.

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »

Quote from: Rev.Powell
the label only prints 100 CDs, and everyone follows the rules, 100 copies are sold and only 100 CDs will be in circulation at any time.  There's a market for 100 CDs and everyone who wants one has one. 

Either the firm has a small demographic, or they are hoarding (if thats the correct term).
But hoarding would only hurt such a firm these days; it would benefit the pirates.
If the firm has such a small demographic it might be too costly to print, or they really don't have to worry about pirating.

100 was just a random number.  Actually, there's X copies of the CD.  No matter how many copies they print, they lose some potential sales to pirating.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2009, 08:38:28 PM »

Well when you rip it off the DVD you can only take the movie files if you wish so no anti piracy ad.

I wish I could do this with some of my own DVDs.  Seems like too much work, though.

The problem I have is not with the anti-piracy ad, per se, but with the fact that the any message is unskippable.  Those Rhino MST3K DVDs always have an unskippable copyright notice, Rhino logo, then the MST3k opening with the doors.  And the crappily manufactured discs alway make my DVD player reset at some time.  Then I have to sit through a minute or so of unskippable content before I can go back to scene select and resume where I left off.  It's annoying and pointless. 

Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2009, 11:15:52 AM »

I wish I could do this with some of my own DVDs.  Seems like too much work, though.

The problem I have is not with the anti-piracy ad, per se, but with the fact that the any message is unskippable.  Those Rhino MST3K DVDs always have an unskippable copyright notice, Rhino logo, then the MST3k opening with the doors.  And the crappily manufactured discs alway make my DVD player reset at some time.  Then I have to sit through a minute or so of unskippable content before I can go back to scene select and resume where I left off.  It's annoying and pointless. 

Its well worth doing. You also have a back up of your choice movies which could be lost in a freak accident or the wear and tear finally take its toll. The back up allows you to burn a replacement disc if that ever happens.

Now depending on the software you use, you could rip from dvds while surfing the web. Its well worth doing to any long menu selection films (jeepers creepers comes to mind) as well as any extra ordinary long anti pirate ads.

I have been enjoying MST3K on youtube its a shame they never brought out series box sets as I would have snapped them up. Is it just me or does most of the single MST3K DVDs seem to have a few episodes missing from each series. Maybe it was just the stocker I was looking at but it would be annoying if I was unable to enjoy them all.
Small | Large

If you aim for 1TB you should have plenty of room. Many students use this now as it saves having to transport a DVD collection or CD collection. I plan to put all my DVD collection here with me now onto it and when I travel home again I can take the DVD's back.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2009, 11:48:37 AM »

I have no problem buying a legitimate copy of a movie ... HOWEVER if a movie is OOP and commanding $75, $100 or more dollars for a used copy. I have no problem getting a bootleg or burnt copy.

If the film maker/studio doesn't want folks making copies then make affordable legal ones.

I'm not even going to get into the recording of cassettes or VHS tapes ... if I've said it once I've said it a 1000 times, where was the the whining by the industry on the recording of cassettes and VHS tapes? The cows out of the barn if they had a problem with copies they should have complained then and not wait until now. You nip it in the bud otherwise don't be surprised when you're neglect of a problem becomes commonplace. The goes for everything in life.

Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 12:23:58 PM »

I have no problem buying a legitimate copy of a movie ... HOWEVER if a movie is OOP and commanding $75, $100 or more dollars for a used copy. I have no problem getting a bootleg or burnt copy.

If the film maker/studio doesn't want folks making copies then make affordable legal ones.

I'm not even going to get into the recording of cassettes or VHS tapes ... if I've said it once I've said it a 1000 times, where was the the whining by the industry on the recording of cassettes and VHS tapes? The cows out of the barn if they had a problem with copies they should have complained then and not wait until now. You nip it in the bud otherwise don't be surprised when you're neglect of a problem becomes commonplace. The goes for everything in life.

I would suggest charity shops but having volunteered in a few I feel I better mention they will throw away what they think wont sell. Shockingly they let a lot of crap books through but any DVD/videos with stupid titles will normally be chucked to make way for more recent popular films that get donated in large amounts.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2009, 12:40:31 PM »

I would suggest charity shops but having volunteered in a few I feel I better mention they will throw away what they think wont sell. Shockingly they let a lot of crap books through but any DVD/videos with stupid titles will normally be chucked to make way for more recent popular films that get donated in large amounts.

Go luck with that around here, recently I donated over 300 DVD's to the local library with the note if you don't need them return them to me, which is a option on the donation form. None were returned and ZERO ended up on the shelf at the library ... were did they go? Anything that was returned I was going to donate to the local thrift store.

Beside I don't think I'm going to find a copy of "The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover" at the the local thrift store and a R1 is going for around $80.00.

Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2009, 01:27:28 PM »

Go luck with that around here, recently I donated over 300 DVD's to the local library with the note if you don't need them return them to me, which is a option on the donation form. None were returned and ZERO ended up on the shelf at the library ... were did they go? Anything that was returned I was going to donate to the local thrift store.

Beside I don't think I'm going to find a copy of "The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover" at the the local thrift store and a R1 is going for around $80.00.

Well from my experience they are moved round to other libraries or charity shops well some of them, others become tombed in a small room which gets a short every few months when the selves start to run low.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2009, 01:56:45 PM »

Well from my experience they are moved round to other libraries or charity shops well some of them, others become tombed in a small room which gets a short every few months when the selves start to run low.

Nope they ended up in someones (Library Employee's) personal collection as I found out later and they weren't fired ... so no more donations from me, books, movies, money or otherwise. I live in a small town, there isn't much that happens here that you don't hear about and the local library had at last count less than 100 DVD's in their collection, but I bet the employee's have a great collection.

Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2009, 02:03:58 PM »

Nope they ended up in someones (Library Employee's) personal collection as I found out later and they weren't fired ... so no more donations from me, books, movies, money or otherwise. I live in a small town, there isn't much that happens here that you don't hear about and the local library had at last count less than 100 DVD's in their collection, but I bet the employee's have a great collection.

Sounds that way. Thats awful.  Hatred

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I just bought my favorite movie of all time ... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.