Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:01:49 PM
714380 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Stephen Kings IT, your thoughts.... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Stephen Kings IT, your thoughts....  (Read 11807 times)
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« on: December 30, 2008, 07:23:20 PM »

I'm wondering what people thought of it. I kinda liked it. It was quite good. I'd recommend it. What did you think of it ? Did it contain any flaws. I haven't read the book (although I'll get it soon) so I can't compare it to anything.

It was better than most made-for -television films. I though it was a good idea to have the first half children and second half adults. It's always nice to see (the late) John Ritter and Annette O'Toole.

It had a rubbish ending, though.

Some "IT" fun...

Small | Large
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 07:30:23 PM by doggett » Logged

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 07:35:19 PM »

I think the adaptation did a good enough job keeping it scary enough for a "made for tv" miniseries.  Of course it moves in leaps and bounds from the book but the central idea of an evil clown terrorizing children is pulled off nicely.  Tim Curry absolutely shined as he does in most roles. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 07:37:00 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 09:17:06 PM »

For what it was worth, It was a well done tv-movie.  The whole cast did a good job, especially, I felt, Tim Curry. 

I personally haven't read the book, yet.  None of the stores I've been to have had it.  The biggest complaint I've heard over the years is how much is left out.  To be fair though, the book clocks in at over 1,000 pages.  To do a movie, especially a tv-movie to include everything seems obscene.  Time constraints, budgets, etc make a straight up adaption a little far fetched.  Lord knows I wouldn't want to watch it if it were a ten hour miniseries. 

Not to say there haven't been longer miniseries.  Supposely, Sci-Fi Channel is working on a remake.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 01:10:21 AM »

The minseries was ok.  It was as good as any TV adaptation of the book could have been.  Tim Curry really hasn't gotten the respect he deserves as a "monster" actor.  He was great as Pennywise here and as Darkness in Legend.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 09:48:54 AM »

The minseries was ok.  It was as good as any TV adaptation of the book could have been.  Tim Curry really hasn't gotten the respect he deserves as a "monster" actor.  He was great as Pennywise here and as Darkness in Legend.
Tim Curry, all around, is just flat out underrated as an actor, on the whole.  Even movies he's done that have been terrible, he's been the highlight of said movie.  Like in Scary Movie 2.  He was hilarious in it.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 10:11:37 AM »

Never saw it all the way through but it looked like a decent adaptation. I'm a fan of both Tims who appeared in this: Tim Curry (Pennywise of course) and Tim Reid (Mike Hanlon), a guy who you see now and then on TV but not nearly often enough.
Doggett

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 12:31:07 PM »

Tim Curry's great in Command and Conquer Red Alert 3

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 12:39:55 PM »

Tim Curry was awesome in this movie! They really couldn't have picked anyone better for the role. I prefer how the book goes, particularly towards the end, but tv/film adaptations usually follow a different path. I've always liked anything with clowns, evil ones especially, but IT is cool. I just hate the ending more than anything, it totally spoiled the entire thing.

Doggett

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 12:53:07 PM »

It's a big spider ain't it ?
Jurassic park is the best book ever. Don't know why I mentioned that....

Iseuelt
New Visitor

Oh hell yah, I'm up for a bad movie!

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 01:00:48 PM »

It started a life long phobia of clowns! I actually enjoyed this movie quite a bit and to annoy my friends I remind them that "We all float down here". I don't remember the ending that well, so it must not have been anything I found to exciting or particularly clever. It's been years since my last viewing so I'll have to check it out again just to remind myself.
I agree that Tim Curry is underrated, I even found him entertaining in "Clue".
Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »

It started a life long phobia of clowns! I actually enjoyed this movie quite a bit and to annoy my friends I remind them that "We all float down here". I don't remember the ending that well, so it must not have been anything I found to exciting or particularly clever. It's been years since my last viewing so I'll have to check it out again just to remind myself.
I agree that Tim Curry is underrated, I even found him entertaining in "Clue".

The end I found slightly annoying but overal a very great film.

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 02:17:26 AM »

The first chapter of IT, the book, may be the best bit of writing STEPHEN KING has ever done (and there are quite a few good bits).  The book then devolves into a bloated mess, but one must understand how KING was paid, and he himself had pointed out he had a tendency toward "literary elephantiasis."  The miniseries is better in many ways from the book, including in what's missing, and the first half of the TV miniseries, focusing on the children, is wonderful.  The second part is not so great when they're adults, and the ending is, uh...  Just like the book. 

Pennywise - what a terrific part for TIM CURRY!  And Pennywise is the best part of the film.   
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:19:54 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 07:19:06 AM »

Good points AllHallows.  I liked the first part much better as well.  The ending had me confused.  So Pennywise can no longer be seen in clown form.  That means his true form, aka the spider, is the only thing they can see.  Is that it or is there something else I'm missing?

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Magnus
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 02:31:40 PM »

My wife who does not like horror but LOVES Tim Curry actually watched it.   It has been a while since I saw it, but I thought the whole spider part at the end was wierd.  I would have prefered to have kept the evil clown and ditched the spider. 
ds21
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »

Tim Curry = amazing

I am David
David I am

Making the world a little more random since 1989.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Stephen Kings IT, your thoughts.... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.