Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:52:17 PM
714229 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE SPIRIT « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE SPIRIT  (Read 4607 times)
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« on: December 31, 2008, 01:58:28 PM »

Before i start ripping on this peice of used toilet paper, id like to point out that I posted this in the "GOOD MOVIES" thread because its not a b-movie by anymeans, what with the name-actors, big budget, and international release. But it is in no way a GOOD film.

WiLL Eisner created THE SPIRIT back in the 40s as a detective comic book with a supernatural twist. It eventually grew a large fanbase and survived thru the decades as a respectable comic series.

Enter comic creator Frank Miller. Miller has created some AMAZING comics in his day. His Daredevil was cool, he gave Batman his testicles back, and his own original creation, SIN CITY, remains as a classic series and a must read for any funny-book fan.
Miller is obviously influenced by Eisners work, as you can see in Millers comics. And when it was time to drag out another comic franchise to be thrown on the silver screen, in this case, The Spirit, Miller was the man to do the throwing since Eisner was dead.

This was their FIRST mistake. If anyone makes a comic book movie, the creator of the comic should have a hand in the making of the film. Eisner beind dead, they couldnt do that. What we got was another Sin City movie with Eisners charecters running around in it instead of Millers.

Millers "stylistic" way of making ONE object in the shot colored while everything else is black and white is present thru out the film, and it get REEELY annoying. Ecpecialy when he focuses on the snow on the bottom of Spirit's shoes of all things.

Also, we get those bummbling, lovable idiots with their names on their shirts that Miller likes to throw in his comics every so often. This is fine for a MILLER comic or movie, but when he throws it in someone elses creation, it just doesnt seem to fit.

And dont ever get me STARTED on the whole "perfect ass" scene. MAN was that ever idiotic.

To be fair, it did have a few redeeming qualities, but not a lot. Not worth my time. Go see it to make your own opinion on it, but dont expect much.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 02:01:46 PM »

Looks like exactly like 300 and Sin City, plays out like Sin City. It has Samuel L. Jackson in it, that's the kiss of death for movies now, in my opinion. I've come very close to starting a I hate Samuel L. Jackson thread.  Lookingup

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 05:43:27 PM »

Looks like exactly like 300 and Sin City, plays out like Sin City.

Sort of.  I saw it.  I'd say it-Looks like Sin City, plays out like the 1960's campy Batman show. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 06:07:32 PM »

I've heard ZERO good things about this movie.  Therefore, I'll do what I usually do: avoid seeing it in the theater, but purchase the Director's Cut DVD and complain about how boring and useless it is.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 07:09:17 PM »

Hey, I quite liked this movie! It's great fun!

-Jimmybob

Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 08:24:19 PM »

My biggest qualm with this is that I feel like Frank Miller should not be trying to be funny. 

KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 08:35:21 PM »

My biggest qualm with this is that I feel like Frank Miller should not be trying to be funny. 

good call.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Kate
Dedicated Viewer

Groovy.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 07:23:10 PM »

This movie sucked... However, I now use "You FART!" quite often as an insult.

FEED ME A STRAY CAT
Torgo

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 11:37:57 PM »

I didn't go to see this in theaters becaue I thought that the trailer looked horrendous. 

Some friends of mine went to see it and they said that it was laughably bad.

I'll probably catch it on DVD at some point to make my own opinion.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 12:34:21 PM »

Hey, I quite liked this movie! It's great fun!

-Jimmybob

I enjoyed it too. Not great, but not terrible (in my opinion). Good. I think it's probably way too quirky for mainstream audiences. Anyone expecting another Sin City (i.e. virtually everyone, especially anyone who saw the trailer) will be soundly dissapointed, but I thought it was pretty good. Okay, really. Flawed in many places (some acting problems, writing problems, pacing problems) but still enjoyable... at least for me.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 06:27:25 PM »

I'm a big fan of the old SPIRIT series.  I got hooked on the SPIrit back in the 70's. I love Eisner's work,and his art greatly influnced my own. I still buy back issues of the Warren Pub. and Kitchen Sink reprints of the old strips from ebay.

I saw SIN CITY and found the style irritating beyond belief. When I heard Frank Miller was involved,I cringed. I think someone like Sam Raimi,who has a good sense of humor (as did Eisner) would have done a good job. And with Bruce Cambell as the Spirit! And Abe Vigoda as Dolan!  TeddyR

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Kate
Dedicated Viewer

Groovy.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 07:00:05 PM »

And with Bruce Campbell as the Spirit!

Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

FEED ME A STRAY CAT
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 08:10:57 AM »

he gave Batman his testicles back

Buggedout BounceGiggle Buggedout TeddyR Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE SPIRIT « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.