Main Menu

Why aren't there more movies like the Dark Crystal?

Started by frodo, January 01, 2009, 05:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frodo

Why aren't there more movies like the Dark Crystal?

The Burgomaster

Frankly, I'm GLAD there aren't more movies like the Dark Crystal . . .  :bouncegiggle:
"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."

Doc Daneeka

Because for the most part it's just Jim Henson's company making them!

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.

lester1/2jr

Doggett

Because people are stupid and think kids won't watch puppets over CGI.
THEY'RE WRONG!!!
I saw Dark Crystal as a kid and loved it.
Labyrinth's good too.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.

CheezeFlixz

QuoteWhy aren't there more movies like the Dark Crystal?

Because they can churn out CGI films at Pixar faster and cheaper and make just as much money at it or more, that's why.

Justy

Because CGI is so cheap. You can just hire a 13 year old to run your movie through Windows Movie Maker.

I really enjoyed The Dark Crystal. It was a fun movie when I was a kid. Hollywood has a very jaded view of youth today. They have no idea what the real world is like. Only what they hear its like or what they think its like. They feel that because in their opinion kids are ignorant tools with the attention span of a gadfly that they need CGI.

CGI should just a part of movie making and not the whole of it. I really am beginning to hate its influence in movie making.
-----------------------------------------
"Hey that's great, but who're the Chefs?"
-----------------------------------------

ToyMan

on top of the sensible reasons other people have offered so far, can you imagine how difficult it would be to secure funding for a film where you're going to tell a fantasy story, let alone one with puppets? i mean, sure, if you're a henson-type-company, you're all set, but pitching "and then the puppets destroy the evil wizard with the magical whatsitcalled" to the money people probably isn't the easiest sell ever.

HarlotBug3

First of all, I love The Dark Crystal to this day. It is one of the greatest fantasy films that will ever be made.

Second of all, I love to play Devil's advocate.

The Dark Crystal had more than a dozen cgi moments in it (at the time blue screen was cgi). There's no reason the two can't co-exist. Watch Mirroror Mask (The Jim Henson co's glorious return) and Hellboy 2.

Watch The Dark Crystal first. It's stunning to this day.
"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."

BoyScoutKevin

Well, as I understand it, there was suppose to be a sequel, but the idea of that fell through. Why? I'm not sure, but maybe because the first one did relatively little business. But, like most of the posters to this thread, I enjoyed it, too.