Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:49:10 AM
714200 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Pirates of the Caribbean III « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean III  (Read 3330 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 01, 2009, 09:21:05 PM »

I'm probably one of the few people who wasn't very interested in Pirates of the Caribbean.  My entire reaction to the first was, "Well, that was better than I thought it would be."  I had no intention of ever watching the other two, but my friends put in the third one at our New Year's get together.  My reaction to Pirates of the Caribbean III was, "Man, this movie was even worse than I thought it would be.  And I thought it would be pretty freakin' bad!"

Kiera Knightly ruined this movie single-handedly.  I don't think it was her fault.  She's just far too pretty and far too physically puny for her part.  I didn't like her character, at all, or her part in the story.  It was awful when they kept dragging out the already unforgivably dragged out brawl at the end so Barbossa could marry her to Orlando Bloom.  Ugh.

Speaking of Orlando, he didn't seem very interested in this movie.  Hell, it looked like he was kind of annoyed at being in it.  Even Johnny Depp didn't seem very interested in this movie.

Mostly, though, the movie was just too damned long.  Even the spectacle of pirates fighting undead fish people got old less than halfway through the final battle.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Frogger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 09:39:45 PM »

The film was far too long. The 3rd film was awful but most of the 2 films which are just one story split in two normally not great.

How ever the 3rd film got boring quickly. I rather thought the 2nd film was rather enjoyable.

Saying that all the films where over hyped far too much.

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."Mao. "At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. It is impossible to think of a genuine revolutionary lacking this quality." Ernesto Che Guevara. "A lie told often enough becomes the truth" Lenin. "Religion is the opium of the masses." Marx.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 02:43:46 AM »

Personally, I loved the first movie. The only reason I watched it is because the movie we had originally went to see didn't start soon enough. So we watched it, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Don't even remember what we originally planned to watch.

So, the original is a movie that should never have had a sequel. It was pretty much a one off, near perfect in my opinion. Almost exactly like the original Matrix, another movie that should never have had sequels.

The thing is, for both movies, once they start having to manufacture mythologies for the sole reason to make more movies, the original is diluted. And both "franchises" suffer from the mindset of bringing back characters just because they think we the audience want to see them. (Why did that wood-eye guy have a special scene in POTC3?)

I'm not going to fault them, they made a crapload of money. I'd do it, too, if I was the money man. It's just a shame they had to actively hurt the original by doing so.

As for the third Pirates: I liked it more than the second. It's still not good, but I will give it some points for being one of the weirdest big budget films to come down the line in a while. Giant noses, resurrected giant sea-women, etc.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 08:51:16 PM »

There are so many problems facing the POTC franchise.  I think the number one thing is the utter and complete lack of anything resembling a coherent plot line, especially in the sequels.  Its like they made a collage with pretty pictures but completely forgot to glue the pictures into place. 

The first one I found to be entertaining for the first 45 or so minutes.  Then after the third or so battle at sea, I quickly found myself having severe deja vu.  I pretty much forgave the plot holes (some of which an elephant could have fallen into) but walked away with a "that was ok" attitude about the film. 

The second and third..sigh...if you sat down with me and asked what those films  were about, I'd have no clue.  All I remember is fish men, a heart, a few battles at sea and a giant squid. Once again...all pictures...no plot gluing it together.

Akira your right about Depp not seeming to care by the third one.  Matter of fact, I found his character downright Jar Jar Binks-like by the end of the third movie.  Orlando bloom...well...he acted like Orlando Bloom does in any movie involving Orlando Bloom.  Kiera I couldn't buy as a swashbuckler and I don't think anyone else did either. 

If there is ONE shining light in the whole series its the highly underrated performance by Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa.  Although his return in part three happened to be one of the biggest plot WTF moments IMHO, I bought it simply to have him around. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 10:00:46 PM »

A Bald Bull avatar... wow, never seen that before.

I enjoyed the first one a lot, and the second one was basic summer popcorn fun/trash.   The woman playing Calypso took the thick accent to new.. thickness.

The third was kinda incoherent and too long, but I still can't say it annoyed me.  There are much, much worse films.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 11:30:27 PM »

My feeling are simalar to other already posted.  We need an expert opinion.  Someone use to dealing with pirates....I know just the guy.

Small | Large

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 07:35:12 PM »

Well, be prepared for "Pirates of the Caribbean IV." The last one made so much money, they're thinking of doing a fourth. Especially as Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush said, they want to do a fourth. And Keira Knightley, who at first, was not interested in doing another one, the last I heard, is now interested in doing another one. And Zac Efron has said he'd be interested in appearing a fourth one, if the right part for him can be written.

If it is done, it is likely to be an one-shot deal and not a trilogy. With everybody looking for the Fountain of Youth in Florida, which was set up in the last one.
Torgo

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 07:50:43 PM »

I thought that the 1st PTOC was fun despite being about a half hour too long.  Keria Knightly fit perfectly in that movie in addition to be ravishing on the eyes. Johnny Depp's performance is the stuff of legend in that 1st movie.

But I don't think that anyone involved was expecting the 1st Pirates flick to do the gonzo box office that it did. Especially since it's based on a theme park ride.  After it did a gazillion dollars, a sequel (or sequels in this case) were almost a mandatory.

The problem that I had with the 2nd and 3rd movies was that it felt like enough plot for just one movie that was needlessly stretched out to fill the run times of 5 hours of movie.  No one really seemed to be enjoying their characters as much the 2nd time around and if you weren't really paying attention to the convoluted plot, your head hurt trying to keep up with what the hell was going on.

They should have just let it be with the 1st one but Hollywood  can't think like that anymore. 

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 07:53:33 PM »

The second one's my fave...

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Pirates of the Caribbean III « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.