Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:53:13 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Places You've Seen Or Been Featured In Movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Places You've Seen Or Been Featured In Movies  (Read 14439 times)
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 12:06:10 PM »

Around here (San Gabriel, Ca.) the most recognizable place is the Queen Anne Cottage and the surrounding area at the L. A. County Arboretum. It's the former Baldwin Family home and can be seen in commercials, TV series such as Fantasy Island, and lots of movies from Operation Burma to Curse of the Komodo. When we're watching something and we see it's been filmed here it destroys what ever effect the movie makers were going for.
If you ever get to the Los Angeles area and have the time this is a great place to visit, we used to go there quite a bit when our daughter was young, lots of stuff to see and it's relatively inexpensive.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 01:27:05 PM »

Back in 2006, I was an extra in the movie "The Final Season".

Trailer:
Small | Large

The baseball stadium they're playing at in the clip below is only a few miles away from my place.
I've been there to watch baseball games countless times.
Notice the Hy-Vee sign behind the pitcher...  I shop there all the time.   Smile  (it's a grocery store)

He's Gonna Hang One For You
Small | Large

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 08:49:36 PM »

William Girdler's ABBY was filmed near my grandmother's old neighborhood.  I didn't see her house, though.  Maybe I should get the DVD and search through it frame by frame.

When I lived in Las Vegas, I passed all sorts of film locations.  More than once, I walked by while crews were filming scenes.  RUSH HOUR 2 was one, as well as some of the location shoots for the TV series "Las Vegas."

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
peter johnson

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 03:02:33 PM »

Man, so many . . . I'll stick with the ones that come to mind most readily:

I was invited to spend Christmas break once with a family in Palos Verdes, CA.  Their next door neighbor had the yard wherein the "Big W" sequence, with the crossed palm trees, from "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World", was filmed.  The coconut palms still looked the same.

Practically the only shot of Colorado in Kubrick's "The Shining", was a shot of the Flatirons (local rock formation) taken from the parking lot of these crappy apartments I lived in in '82 in Boulder, CO.  The story is supposed to be set in Colorado, but the rest of it was shot in Canada.

"ROBO-C.H.I.C.", "Ah! Marie!", "Kill Line", etc., all contain very familiar shots of Pueblo and Colorado Springs, CO -- oh, wait, I was in those!

"Crazy People", a 1990 Dudley Moore/Darryl Hannah vehicle, was shot in and around Charlottesville, VA, where I went to graduate school.  Practically the whole film is a travelogue of that part of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

I visited Castle Doune and Castle Stalker, in and around Stirling & Oban, Scotland -- site of Castle Arrgh! and almost the entirety of "Monty Python and The Holy Grail"!!  You can even get a little xeroxed booklet in the main office that outlines where the Trojan Rabbit sequences, etc. etc., were all shot.  Amazing!!

As was said, to say "New York" is like cheating, but I have to say I've visited the Santa Monica Pier, in CA, which has had more exterior shots done than perhaps any other place in the LA area, with the exception of the Universal back-lot.

"Meteor", a made-for-TV/Movie of The Week from years gone by, had all its exterior shots done in Longmont, CO, the town I live in now.

I know there are others, but these most readily spring to mind --

peter johnson/denny tourist

I have no idea what this means.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 08:20:37 PM »

As was said, to say "New York" is like cheating, but I have to say I've visited the Santa Monica Pier, in CA, which has had more exterior shots done than perhaps any other place in the LA area, with the exception of the Universal back-lot.

That's funny... I didn't even consider thinking of Manhattan.  I used to visit quite a bit.  I remember one time I was separating from my friend, a native New Yorker and a movie fiend, and he asked me to meet him later that night "where Bad Lieutenant was shot."  It was a little like a trivia question wrapped in a scavenger hunt, but I found him.   Wink 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 07:39:48 AM »

In the horrible John Travolta film Lucky Numbers was filmed in several places in my home town.  The Denny's they filmed at is about 5 or 6 miles from where I live.

Girl, Interrupted was filmed in several locations in central PA.  Some of the film was filmed I think maybe 1 or 2 miles from my house.  They also filmed at the former state hospital in Harrisburg which closed some years ago.

There is another film being made about the area that going on right now at the former state hospital.  I considered trying to get a part as an extra in the film for something to do but I wasn't well enough health wise to try out for it.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 10:24:15 AM »

I've been to the City of London, as used in the 28 Days Later films...
It's a 20 min' tube journey away from me but well worth it. TeddyR

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »

My nephew told me the movie MALL COP was filmed at the Burlington Mall in Burlington, MA.  It's about a 15 minute drive from my house and I shop there regularly (most recently, for Christmas).  I didn't see any of the filming, however.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 11:01:07 AM »

It's also got Indians, hillbillies, slaves, moonshiners, a pig head, and crazy murderers - something for the entire family.

BounceGiggle TeddyR

Stephen Hopkins' The Ghost & The Darkness was partly filmed in Pretoria, as was Darrell Roodt's Cry The Beloved Country. Parts of Richard Attenborough's Cry Freedom were filmed in Gweru, Zimbabwe, my home town.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 12:29:19 PM »

The mansion where they filmed many Dark Shadows episodes is about a half hour drive from my house.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 10:20:33 PM »

Man, so many . . . I'll stick with the ones that come to mind most readily:

I was invited to spend Christmas break once with a family in Palos Verdes, CA.  Their next door neighbor had the yard wherein the "Big W" sequence, with the crossed palm trees, from "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World", was filmed.  The coconut palms still looked the same...
How cool is that?  Must have been some beautiful backyards!!!   Smile  Thumbup

I have no cool stories to relate except that I had lived in Asbury Park, NJ for a few years and a number of films I've taken no interest in were filmed there, and I believe also part of an episode of "The Sopranos" a TV program I've never looked at.   Lookingup
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:23:18 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pilgermann

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 01:43:33 AM »

A bit of the terrible Elizabethtown was filmed in Louisvile and there's a driving sequence with many familiar sights.

I saw a house where some of The Insider was filmed, wee.

A couple of years ago I visited the Ohio State Reformatory where parts of The Shawshank Redemption were filmed.  The tour points out many areas of interest and they have a prop tunnel that Tim Robbin's character crawled through.  Oh, and I think a bit of Air Force One was shot there, as well as a Li'l Wayne music video (there was a jail cell with a toilet painted gold).

Iseuelt
New Visitor

Oh hell yah, I'm up for a bad movie!

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 04:44:59 AM »

There have been a few great movies that feature Oregon, the gorgeous state I call home, but "Stand By Me" is particularly close to my hometown and even though a lot has change in the last how ever many years, it is still recognizable to us who know the area. Also "The Hunted" had scenes in our fantastic forests. Although "Without A Paddle"'s plot suggests the story takes place in Oregon, really the only scene that does is the one with the small town at the end.
HirayamaKodomo
New Visitor

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 12:31:10 AM »

Hello there,
Let me give my experiences if I could.

I used to live in Tucson, AZ and four films immediately come to mind.

"Revenge of the Nerds"
All of the external shots of Atoms college is in fact the University of Arizona (my alma mater). I never could figure out where exactly the nerd house was shot, but I definitely recognized the final scene where wormser is thrown in the water fountain (Old Main).

"Can't Buy Me Love"
The scenes in the mall were areas I would walk through countless times. The place is the Tucson Mall.

"Bodies, Rest & Motion"
This underrepresented indie flick was shot in the early 90's. The intro shots from a car were shot going north on Oracle (right down the road from where I lived) road leading to the Tucson Mall. The restaraunt scene with Tim Roth and Phoebe Cates is in the Red Robin entrance of the mall.

"Tin Cup"
There is an outdoor scene between Kevin Costner and Cheech Marin that was shot on 4th ave in downtown Tucson. There was also another shot with Kevin driving down the street and Rene Russo watches him go--the building is the old hotel congress.
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 12:44:19 PM »

I Once Visited Boston On A Tour Bus And Our Tour Guide Pointed Out A Building Where They Filmed Some Of The Show BOSTON LEGAL

i've never even seen the show though
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Places You've Seen Or Been Featured In Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.