Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:09:46 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Places You've Seen Or Been Featured In Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Places You've Seen Or Been Featured In Movies  (Read 14436 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: January 02, 2009, 09:02:14 PM »

Have you ever seen a movie filmed in your area (or somewhere you've been) and realized you've driven by it many times?  I recall watching Dumb And Dumber on television when the guys drive out of Providence past a giant blue bug on a roof.  That is New England Pest Control mascot and I used to drive by it to work every day at my old job.  I think it was parodied on Family Guy once when they had a flea infestation. 

The other place I can recall is swimming at the beach where Jaws was filmed.  My father in-law's mother owns a house on Martha's Vineyard and usually has us up there in the summer time.

So what places can you list?

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 10:10:54 PM »

One scene, I believe the opening scene, of "Hunt for Red October" was taken in Resurrection Bay, the bay that the town I live in is on.

Oddly enough, I've been to three places where locals have claimed "Deliverance" was filmed. One in Texas, one in Oregon, and another in Oklahoma. I've been told it was filmed in Georgia, but I really don't know. Weird.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 10:13:42 PM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 11:06:46 PM »

The film No Way Out featured some chase scenes in and around some sites in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, DC that were very familiar to me, including the footpath along the C & O Canal and the Georgetown Park Mall. In the movie, the shopping mall became the "Georgetown Metro Station". The residents of Georgetown, rather famously, refused to allow Metro to be built in their neighborhood. So that made it extra amusing for me when I recognized where they were.

Nobody old enough to have seen The Exorcist can go by a certain staircase next to a building on M Street without pointing out that the building and staircase featured prominently in that movie. Especially if they're with an out-of-towner. But I saw the movie long before I ever saw Georgetown, so I was the out-of-towner in that conversation.

The Key Bridge, which connects Georgetown with Arlington, VA, was the site of some Spielberg disaster movie involving a killer asteroid. I remember the call for extras, people to park on the bridge and look up and look scared. We briefly considered it, but ultimately decided not to. I think we had other plans that day and weren't going to be anywhere near. I've never seen the film, so I haven't had a chance to recognize the Key Bridge on film.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 11:07:29 PM »

A good part of the movie BOYS DON'T CRY was filmed in Greenville, TX.  One of my former students is an extra - tall kid in an orange prison jumpsuit in the courthouse scene.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 11:13:47 PM »

It's almost cheating to mention New York since so much stuff is filmed there, but I think this example is out of the mainstream. In Next Stop, Greenwich Village, I immediately recognized the coffee shop that the characters hang out in as "Cafe Reggio", one of my wife and my favorite hangouts when we're in NYC. I'm pretty sure it's never identified by name.

I also used to recognize a number of places in the title sequence of the TV show "Mad About You".
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 11:33:54 PM »

I live in a suburb of Cleveland Oh.  I've been to the places they shot scence for in Double Dragon, Air Force One and Spider Man 3

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 01:09:57 AM »

STRIPES was filmed here and some forgettable Bruce Willis Film was made here too, that I can't remember the name of.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 06:18:46 AM »

"Velvet Goldmine" starring Ewan McGregor and Sir Alec Guinness's "The Man in the White Suit". More recently, the entire city of Manchester is shown engulfed in fire in "28 Days Later".

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 08:02:24 AM »

The movie Mallrats with Shannen Doherty was filmed in the Eden Prairie Center, a shopping mall in a suburb of Minneapolis.  I used to live in Eden Prairie and have shopped there numerous times.  They did a major remodel on the place a few years ago, and there's about a third more stores there now, so it's not really recognizable as the same mall any more.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 08:32:48 AM »

I was working in Harvard Square when they were filming GOOD WILL HUNTING.  There's a scene at an outdoor cafe and I drove past it during filming.  At the time, I had no idea what the movie was.  There was also an equipment truck parked outside the window of the office where I was working that day.

I was also working at the Tobin Bridge just after Clint Eastwood finished filming MYSTIC RIVER.  The people in the office told me Clint was a really great, down-to-earth guy.  He needed to close down several toll booths on the bridge during filming.  To avoid a huge traffic jam, they needed to open the other toll booths for free and the production company paid the cost of the tolls.  They said when shooting was completed Clint had tents set up in the parking lot below the bridge and had a huge catered party for the film crew and bridge employees.

I live just a few miles from Boston, so I'm familiar with a lot of neighborhoods and buildings that you seen in movies filmed in the area.  City Hall plaza is a popular filming location.  I've seen several movies with scenes where a character (usually an attorney or politician) comes running out of the building.  In some movies, you often see the Prudential building in the background or the famous Kenmore Square Citgo sign.  Movies like THE VERDICT and THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE have lots of good Boston area scenes.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 08:53:42 AM »

How could I forget?  The sci-fi classic LOGAN'S RUN was filmed at the Town East shopping mall over in Mesquite, TX.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 09:04:09 AM »

Theres Something About Mary has a few familiar scenes from Providence.   From what I understand, a good portion of Amistad was filmed in Newport RI which is a few towns over from me.

Richard Gere was supposedly one town over from me filming a movie.  I'm not sure what the title was. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 09:42:42 AM »

The British Rom-com "Gregory's Girl" was filmed in Cumbernauld, my home town back in circa 1979. It was mostly set in Abronhill but the shopping mall that appears in some scenes including the large clock (actually a leftover from a demolished Glasgow railway station) and the little cafe is Cumbernauld Town Centre in North Carbrain.

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
Raffine

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 10:36:40 AM »

A whole movie called SHUDDER http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1233228/ was shot in and around my house a couple of years ago. It's got Gunnar Hansen and Edwin Neal, both of the original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE fame, in it.  It's also got Indians, hillbillies, slaves, moonshiners, a pig head, and crazy murderers - something for the entire family.

I got to hang out with Hansen and Neal during the month or so the film crew took over the place.

Here's what I learned:
Gunnar is really a nice guy who is originally from Iceland and likes to writes poetry.
Edwin Neal is quite the bizarre fellow and he's got a huge collection of rare and valuable movie posters.

Tiffany Shepis (ABOMINABLE, BOOBIES, TROMEO AND JULIET) is in it, too, but I didn't know who she was 'till later.
She plays an Indian.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Javakoala
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 11:47:09 AM »

While it isn't a good movie, "Blood Cult" had some exterior shots of the college campus shot at Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, OK, which is where I went to college (for too many years).  Made by the same people, "Terror At Tenkiller" also had a few scenes shot on campus and around Lake Tenkiller, which wasn't far from Tahlequah.

I also visited Spokane,WA, where "Benny And Joon" was shot and saw the park and the weird restaurant shaped like a milk bottle.  Also shot there was "Tiki", a strange little horror film by Ron Ford, whom I count as a friend, and he used some areas of the college there for a few scenes, if I'm not mistaken.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Places You've Seen Or Been Featured In Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.