Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:14:52 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  I Hate Big-Name Actors! Am I Alone On This? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: I Hate Big-Name Actors! Am I Alone On This?  (Read 14285 times)
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2009, 01:49:29 PM »

Adam Sandler (I don't think I've ever laughed at him)

Least funny man to ever work in comedy films. Yes, I'm even counting Paulie Shore. All of his "jokes" are just him making stupid gibberish noises. Ugh.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2009, 11:13:19 PM »

Adam Sandler is hit and miss for me. Some of his movies I really enjoyed, but others I haven't. It's been years since I've even gone out of my way to see one. I'd say his movies have gotten less enjoyable the more successful he's gotten, and the more he's tried to act. Put him in a ridiculous lowbrow comedy, playing some insane yet good-hearted loser, and surround him with guys like Clint Howard and Rob Schneider playing equally off-the-wall characters, and I will probably like it. I haven't enjoyed Sandler any time he's aimed higher than that.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2009, 04:14:21 PM »

I don't have any problem with big name actors in concept, and very rarely does it hurt suspension of disbelief for me.  Actors can dominate a film of course, but that's a fault of the film in many cases, not always the fault of the actor.  I also don't think an actor dominating a film means it is inherently a bad movie either.  Like, say, Malcolm McDowell dominates every scene in A Clockwork Orange, but it's still a great film. 

I might also add that "star power" was a more important draw in Hollywood films 60 years ago and earlier than it is today.  They could sell almost any film with two or three big names in it back then, which isn't the case now.  They also built films around the available stars even more than now (perhaps that's an opinion, but it seems that way to me).  It helps a lot to have big names now (obviously), but it doesn't guarantee anything. 

So basically, I'd say it is actually LESS of an issue now than it once was. 

Burgo, I'll also add I think it is funny that John Wayne is on your list.  He plays the exact same part, in a larger than life sort of way, in almost every one of his many, many roles.  I don't think any actor in the modern day has done it as extreme as he has.  It's perhaps the worst in his war films, where apparently he was drafted from the streets of Dodge City.  Not to say I don't enjoy his performances as well, for what they are. 
bladerunnerblues
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 03:27:13 AM »

I don't have any problem with big name actors in concept, and very rarely does it hurt suspension of disbelief for me.  Actors can dominate a film of course, but that's a fault of the film in many cases, not always the fault of the actor.  I also don't think an actor dominating a film means it is inherently a bad movie either.  Like, say, Malcolm McDowell dominates every scene in A Clockwork Orange, but it's still a great film. 

I might also add that "star power" was a more important draw in Hollywood films 60 years ago and earlier than it is today.  They could sell almost any film with two or three big names in it back then, which isn't the case now.  They also built films around the available stars even more than now (perhaps that's an opinion, but it seems that way to me).  It helps a lot to have big names now (obviously), but it doesn't guarantee anything. 

So basically, I'd say it is actually LESS of an issue now than it once was. 

Burgo, I'll also add I think it is funny that John Wayne is on your list.  He plays the exact same part, in a larger than life sort of way, in almost every one of his many, many roles.  I don't think any actor in the modern day has done it as extreme as he has.  It's perhaps the worst in his war films, where apparently he was drafted from the streets of Dodge City.  Not to say I don't enjoy his performances as well, for what they are. 

I enoy westerns and I am a huge fan of Spaghetti Westerns but I think John Wayne is extremely over rated.
I think I have seen only 2 of his films,True Grit(watched it on TV at my grandparents)and I forget the name of the other.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 12:31:15 PM »

I enoy westerns and I am a huge fan of Spaghetti Westerns but I think John Wayne is extremely over rated.
I think I have seen only 2 of his films,True Grit(watched it on TV at my grandparents)and I forget the name of the other.

I thought he was great in Rio Lobo, aside from Unforgiven it's my favourite western.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 02:09:24 PM »

Some actors bring a certain amount of flair and panache to every role they undertake . .

like Sean Connery.

Others cast a wet blanket of boring over everything they touch -

Keanu Reeves.

However, some actors I truly admire incude:

Tom Hanks
Mel Gibson
Sam Neill
Gary Oldman

Some actresses that I will watch whether they can act or not:

Anne Hathaway
Cameron Diaz
Barbara Carrera
Michelle Pfeiffer

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Kate
Dedicated Viewer

Groovy.

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 02:11:16 PM »

Others cast a wet blanket of boring over everything they touch -

Keanu Reeves.

Bluesad

FEED ME A STRAY CAT
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2009, 03:55:09 PM »

Some actors bring a certain amount of flair and panache to every role they undertake . .

like Sean Connery.

Small | Large

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Rat-Bat-Spider
Dedicated Viewer

ICE to meet you!

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 09:31:48 PM »

Wow, so I wasn't alone on this. It's hard to tell with all the responses in my way Smile But seriously, I don't think that adding big names is necessarily a bad thing. It's just that somebody should be famous for their performances, not who they happen to be intimate with at the time or what they're wearing or how they happen to be existing at any one particular time. I'm so sick of hearing about what people like Tom Cruise and Hugh Jackman do on their off time because that takes away from their job and makes them useless fodder for deadening conversation. And once you do that they start to become overly famous for no reason. When was the last time you recall Julia Roberts doing anything worthwhile as an actress? Never? Well, why do I still here about what she does and does not do outside of the studio? it's a vicious cycle, and I know that the hype machine is important to Hollywood's infrastructure, but it makes me physically ill sometimes to hear the banal details of a celebrity's life. So thank goodness for people like Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio, actually performing well enough to be mentioned instead of wearing something lurid or saying something celebridiculous (HA!)

www.cinematronica.wordpress.com
A movie review every day for an entire year. Can he handle it? Can YOU handle it?
Kate
Dedicated Viewer

Groovy.

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2009, 03:01:38 PM »

So thank goodness for people like Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio, actually performing well enough to be mentioned instead of wearing something lurid or saying something celebridiculous (HA!)

Nice to hear someone praising Leo instead of bashing him. I'm not a huge fan myself, but I think he gets way too much crap for no reason (other than that he used to be "the pretty boy from Titanic").

FEED ME A STRAY CAT
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  I Hate Big-Name Actors! Am I Alone On This? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.