Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:15:02 AM
714208 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Silent Running (1972) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Silent Running (1972)  (Read 2685 times)
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« on: January 07, 2009, 10:37:03 AM »

This blog entry really says everything that needs to be said about this under-appreciated gem. 

http://york-multiplex.blogspot.com/2007/04/why-i-love-silent-running-and-you.html

All the hooplah surrounding Wall-E lead to me discovering this film.  It has the same ecological message, but with a more somber delivery.  Bruce Dern, though he goes a little over the top in a few scenes, does a great job portraying a very complicated man, who seems to think of himself as the last sane individual in a humanity gone mad.  The robots, The music, and even the two songs by Joan Baez, do a magnificent job of adding some much needed emotion to the story.  I usually find songs in most 70's era films to be bothersome and pointless, but not in this film. 
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 12:01:17 PM »

Yep. I own this film, and saw it first in theaters. Wouldn't have been in 1972 though as my wife and I remember seeing this together. So probably I saw it at a university showing (my school had half a dozen excellent film series around campus). Agree with everything written there, and it's a shame this movie wasn't more popular.

That's back when science fiction, both movies and books, was viewed as a cult thing and kind of looked down on by the general public. It's a shame it took "Star Wars", which is more like the unscientific space opera of the 30s than any actual decent science fiction, to make sci-fi acceptable. But I guess I'm grateful that it did, and that it opened up the big budgets (along with creating Industrial Light and Magic).

I absolutely agree with what that reviewer says about the robots. That's what a robot drone should act like. I can't begin to describe how irritating I find C3PO for so many reasons.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:10:33 PM »

An under-appreciated film, I think.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 09:11:45 AM »

I saw it when I was a kid and loved it.  Tried watching it again a while back and couldn't even make it past the 15 minute mark.  The ship design is fabulous and the premise is unique, but they just lay the environmentalism on way, WAY too thick.  Dern is b***hing out his fellow crew members for not eating natural food, after they've just explained to him that there is no natural food on earth for them to eat.  That's as far as I made it.  I think it wasn't popular because people don't want to watch Bruce Dern slowly going nuts (he had a pretty good head start) while doing pretty much nothing, accompanied by Joan Baez music.  Every minute seems to last an hour.  It actually could have been good if they wouldn't have gone whole hog on the environmentalism thing - I mean, the message of the movie is obvious, you don't have to beat us over the freakin' head with it.  But oh no, this isn't going to be a movie with an environmentalist message, it's going to be an absolute environmentalist screed.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 12:00:12 PM »

Silent Running was an anual staple of the pre-cable late-friday-night show "Big Chuck and Little John" (Previously "Hoolihan and Big Chuck"). Every friday they'd show a movie, often of the B-variety, with sketch comedy bordering each end of the comercials. Silent Running was a big deal, they'd have a countdown when it was coming up, and even had a contest where viewers sent in home-made models of the robots.
Anyways, I always liked it, it's not fast-paced, but a good flick in my opinion.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Silent Running (1972) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.