Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:21:11 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Like The Anime Influence In Today's Cartoons? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you like Anime style artwork in today's cartoons?
Yes - 0 (0%)
No - 18 (78.3%)
I don't care either way - 5 (21.7%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Do You Like The Anime Influence In Today's Cartoons?  (Read 17964 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: January 10, 2009, 08:49:12 AM »

So I was watching Saturday morning cartoons with my kid and noted how much Japanimation influence there is nowadays.  I won't pretend to be an expert in the field but its pretty easy to spot.  The spiky hair, the big eyes, etc were all over cartoons like the new Transformers.  Although I can appreciate the art work, I don't really care for it.  Matter of fact I've grown a bit sick of it. (no offense if you like it) How do you feel about it?   

I had a friend who was huge into Anime.  He had a friend in Japan who he'd trade comics with.  Oddly, his friend preferred X-men comics to Anime. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 09:16:50 AM »

Years ago it was good, but now it's too simplistic. When we did the 100 best cartoons thread, it was plain for all to see that all the "best" ones were american cartoons, the vast majority being pre-90's. I think animation is very poor today, I see no excuse for standards to have dropped so badly within the last 10-15 years. Plus, alot of these kids shows are so basic by design and story that they are practically souless.

When I was younger I used to do alot of drawing and would often make pictures of cartoon characters of the time, be it He-Man and Lion-O, the Turtles or the Dungeons & Dragons gang. Being inspired by other artists work, made me better at doing art when it came to school work. You could draw most tv characters now in about 3 seconds and they would pretty much all look the same. Also, these kids shows now don't seem to carry any kinds of morals within the "stories" and they lack the great music and variety of colour.

I voted No. The only Anime I like is "Ghost In The Shell" and "Fist Of The North Star". Those are classic series, that are for a mature audience and have lots of work and effort put into them.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 09:19:23 AM by Circus_Circus » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 09:41:52 AM »

No. NO. NOOOooooOOOOOoooo!!!!!!! Oh seet jeebus no!

I like this kind of cartoon....!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 10:01:41 AM »

Every once in a while I like to see an anime movie, but then not the ones aimed at kids (not the hentai stuff, either; just the stuff for grown-ups). I'm with RC; Warner Brothers (1930s-1940s), Tex Avery, and other animation pioneers made the best stuff. The cartoons from the 80s that were listed in the "Best cartoons" thread were, in my opinion, substandard, stiff, and very poorly animated (although they were still better than most Hanna-Barbera craptoons). The stuff today mostly all looks the same; that "anime" style has robbed many cartoons of their individuality. Nicktoons have avoided this for the most part, but most of the anime-ish cartoons look the same and have the same basic plots: collect all the {fill in the blanks} before the bad guys get them in order to get to some unspecified goal or play the card game and defeat the bad guys to save your friend. They are simply shilling video games or card games with no real entertainment value.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 12:03:36 PM »

RC-  basically, the older a cartoon is, the better.  the best craziest ones are the ones from like the 30's where daffy duck was completely insane.  I sawa  good one the other day where oswald rabbit wanted a milkshake.  the ppwner of the milkshake establishment put some milk into the metal cans and then put the cans in the wasteband of a topless hippopotumus who did a few secnds of bellydancing then it was done

no offense to the topic starter or fans of the modern cartoons of couse
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:11:31 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
akiratubo

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 12:41:45 PM »

I don't care one way or the other.  If the cartoon is good, it's good.  Anime influence isn't going to be a deal breaker.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 12:44:08 PM »

The Batman was rubbish.

Look at how cool and well thought out the art design was on the Batman TAS.

And "The Batman"'s Joker looked like a demented monkey Hatred

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 01:10:48 PM »

I guess I don't care much.  I like the older stuff like Scooby Doo and I like some Japanese stuff like Cowboy Bebop and Tank Police.  I think today's stuff would suck whether or not it had an anime influence - it's just product.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 08:09:33 PM »

Doesn't matter if it's anime or something else, I hate it when everything starts to look the same. Everytime the viewing public shows an interest in something, everybody's got to copy it. Creativity goes in the toilet, and good shows are diminished through repetition and imitation. Of course, the same applies to live-action shows, movies, music and so on.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Eyesore
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 10:36:30 AM »

I like my cartoons "cartoonish". I remember watching Speed Racer and some Hercules cartoon (I haven't seen or thought about it in 30-35 years) as a kid and thinking the animation was weird, then.

Love Cowboy Bebop, though.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 01:46:42 AM »

NO!!

Anything after about 1960 sucks hind tit. The quality fell off sharply about that time. Just in the number of cells made per toon was reduced greatly and then they went with overlays where the image didn't change just the mouth moving. Now along come Anime with their BIG ANIME EYES ... what's up with Japanese animation and big round eyes, I have theories.

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 02:47:10 PM »

No, I'm fed up of it.  A few years ago Cartoon Network put out Samorai Jack.  This floored me beucase it was an action cartoon that did not look like Anime.  I actually rememer thinking "wow" when I first watched it.   Good stuff if you haven't seen it.  Its the same guy as did the Clone Wars.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Pilgermann

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 03:41:04 PM »

One of the big problems is that it's just a superficial influence without any real understanding of the techniques involved.  Japanese anime is its own unique thing and I don't think much of it would be called a "cartoon" in the traditional sense.

If you want to learn to be disappointed with (or possibly hate) most animation, check out John K.'s (of Ren & Stimpy fame) blog:

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/

Whether or not you're a fan of his work, he knows his stuff.  It's a very educational blog, basically an online course in animation and cartooning.

I still enjoy many of the old crappy 80's and 90's cartoons I grew up with, though.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 04:14:41 PM »

South Park has likely some of the most basic, simplistic animation possible, but who watches South Park for the quality of the animation? It's the story that's funny, it might fail if it was well animated. 

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 05:01:58 PM »

The guys at South Park don't let the animation part get in the way. I remember the first time I saw SP, I thought "Are they doing this crap with CONSTRUCTION PAPER?", and had forgotten about it by the time the show was half way over. I LOVE how unforgiving they are, Kenny died every episode for a while, some people (Canadians as it turns out) have heads that are in two pieces, they've advanced one whole grade in the 10 years it's been on, it's perpetually winter, and they DO NOT EXPLAIN IT. When I first heard of it, before I had seen the show, people were talking about how Kenny died every episode. I was asking how the hell that worked, and people said "That's just how it is". I honestly thought there was going to be some explanation for it, , but no, , I just got used to it. When they did finaly elude to an explanation, , it was even more ludicris than him dying every show and appearing alive in the next. I am kinda bummed how little airtime Jesus gets these days though.

Personally, I don't care for any Anime. A few years ago they put on a cartoon that (I believe) was supposed to parody Anime, , take it to the extreme, including the totally senseless name. It was called Bo-BoBoBo-Bo-Bobo, and it was the weirdest think, , and not completely in a good way. I chalk it up in the same row as the Pokemon crap that started 10 years or so that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

When I was a kid, I couldn't stand Speed Racer, , and the quality that made me not like it is something I see in alot of today's Anime. Anime seems to have a style over substance approach to things, which is escpecially annoying since I don't care for the style.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Like The Anime Influence In Today's Cartoons? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.