Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:14:27 PM
713354 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Like The Anime Influence In Today's Cartoons? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you like Anime style artwork in today's cartoons?
Yes - 0 (0%)
No - 18 (78.3%)
I don't care either way - 5 (21.7%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Do You Like The Anime Influence In Today's Cartoons?  (Read 17959 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 07:27:08 PM »

Classic cartoons and anime collide:
Small | Large

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 07:36:48 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has negativity on the subject.  I prefer the 70s/80s animation style more than anything.   Stuff like He-man, Thundarr, GI Joe, etc.  I did watch this show over the weekend and kind of dug the theme.  I would say it kind of mixes 90s animation with 70s cartoon themes.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 08:19:06 PM »

Classic cartoons and anime collide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYRPvz-LV-k

That clip summed it up pretty well IMO. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
BTM

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 02:12:26 AM »

I think it's getting way overused.  I mean, there are some "anime style" cartoons I like because they're good shows (Avatar, for instance), but it bugs me when we're seeing a lot of old school shows redone in Anime style (like the new Transformers, or Lunatics for instance).  It just doesn't LOOK right now on robotic characters.  And what really bugs me is when, for comedy effect, they have the character briefly morph into these REALLY exaggerated "large faces" and stuff, to me, it destroys the mood and takes away any sort of credibility or seriousness the show is trying to build (a la Teen Titans).

And for that matter, what is UP with that "tear drop" thing that I keep seeing over and over?  Yes, I know what it means in Japanese cartoons, but why the heck are American cartoons now using it as well?  A drop of water by someone's head doesn't mean s**t to us Americans!  (Yeah, call me ethnocentric if you want, but I stand by my point, plus I doubt it means anything to Canadians, Afrcians, Europeans, etc, etc either.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:04:13 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 10:38:17 AM »

I think it's getting way overused.  I mean, there are some "anime style" cartoons I like because they good shows (Avatar, for instance), but it bugs me when we're seeing a lot of old school shows redone in Anime style (like the new Transformers, or Lunatics for instance).  It just doesn't LOOK right now on robotic characters.  And what really bugs me is when, for comedy effect, they have the character briefly morph into these REALLY exaggerated "large faces" and stuff, to me, it destroys the mood and takes away any sort of credibility or seriousness the show is trying to build (a la Teen Titans).

And for that matter, what is UP with that "tear drop" thing that I keep seeing over and over?  Yes, I know what it means in Japanese cartoons, but why the heck are American cartoons now using it as well?  A drop of water by someone's head doesn't mean s**t to us Americans!  (Yeah, call me ethnocentric if you want, but I stand by my point, plus I doubt it means anything to Canadians, Afrcians, Europeans, etc, etc either.)

Tear Drop? Enlighten me for those of us that do not, have not, will not watch Anime.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 10:43:17 AM »

the thread seems to be for people who DO like modern cartoons.  why insult the topic starters tastes?
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 12:23:55 PM »

the thread seems to be for people who DO like modern cartoons.  why insult the topic starters tastes?
Actually nope, I rather dislike anime influence in modern cartoons hence my original post in the thread.
Although I can appreciate the art work, I don't really care for it.  Matter of fact I've grown a bit sick of it. (no offense if you like it) How do you feel about it?   

DarkSider's Realm

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 12:33:42 PM »

so do you like any modern cartoons or just very old ones

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:37:22 PM by The DarkSider » Logged
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 12:37:45 PM »

so do you like any modern cartoons or just very old ones
I like some modern cartoons but I mostly like stuff from pre-anime explosion in the past few years. 

DarkSider's Realm

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 01:08:17 PM »

I like some modern cartoons but I mostly like stuff from pre-anime explosion in the past few years. 

I'm not sure if I'd even call it an anime explosion. I like real anime. It's this faux anime everybody's doing - superficial knockoffs that try to look like anime. That's what we're seeing too much of.

---------------------
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 01:18:41 PM »

I don't even like the name..."Anime". It's like saying "I like Annie-May". Like you've got a crush on a Walton.

I forgot, Guyver: Bio-Boosted Armour is good  TeddyR

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 01:38:14 PM »

My anime preferences go farther back, to when most of my friends had no name for it other than "Japanese cartoons." Star Blazers, Force Five and Battle of the Planets were among my favourites growing up. I like some of the later stuff too, like Evangelion and Dragonball Z, and movies like Metropolis or Steamboy. It's anime in the vein of Pokemon, Digimon, etc. that I don't care for. That's the style that seems to have taken over, going back a few years to when you could watch Fox for two hours on Saturday morning and see nothing but Digimon.

---------------------
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 02:26:48 PM »

Now along come Anime with their BIG ANIME EYES ... what's up with Japanese animation and big round eyes, I have theories.

Ironically enough, the big eyes characteristic of anime are a direct result of American toon icon Betty Boop. The Japanese fell in love with her freakish peepers and started drawing their characters with similarly grotesque oculars. So, if you hate giant eyes in Japanese cartoon characters you can blame Betty Boop and her American creator Grim Natwick. Now you know... "AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!" TeddyR

As far as the anime influence in current American productions, I couldn't care less. The only cartoons I watch that were created in the last 5 years are either Adult Swim comedies or Cartoon Network's "Chowder" and "The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack", which I'm pretty sure both of which were created by former Spongebob writers. I lost interest in anime right around the time that Spriggan came out and the utter saturation of the market began. That's not to say that I'm anti-anime, but I no longer watch things just because they're Japanese made or influenced.

15 years ago my friends and I had to wait for the Sci-Fi Channel's annual "Anime Invasion Week" to get exposure to new stuff... and by "new stuff", I mean dubbed stuff from the '80s that was new to us. We'd mark it on our calenders anytime TBS would have a midnight showing of Vampire Hunter D or Robot Carnival, then spend the week up to it counting down the days. I miss those days...

Small | Large
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:29:38 PM by AnubisVonMojo » Logged

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 08:41:12 AM »

I was born in the early 90s, so I had a chance closely how animation and anime crossed for my early years.  To answer the topics question, I don't really care.  Anime influence can work well for certian cartoons, Avatar, Teen Titans, and Kappa Mikey(Actually, that show pretty much seemed to mock that style of animation by adding characters that were drawn with American influence and with Japanese influence).

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 08:48:09 PM »

I think it's getting way overused.  I mean, there are some "anime style" cartoons I like because they good shows (Avatar, for instance), but it bugs me when we're seeing a lot of old school shows redone in Anime style (like the new Transformers, or Lunatics for instance).  It just doesn't LOOK right now on robotic characters.  And what really bugs me is when, for comedy effect, they have the character briefly morph into these REALLY exaggerated "large faces" and stuff, to me, it destroys the mood and takes away any sort of credibility or seriousness the show is trying to build (a la Teen Titans).

Tear Drop? Enlighten me for those of us that do not, have not, will not watch Anime.

I'd like to know about the "tear drop" thing too.  I can't recall noticing it before.

As for anime, I don't really care one way or the other.  I'll watch any style of animation as long as the story is good and it's well drawn within its style. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Like The Anime Influence In Today's Cartoons? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.