Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:32:54 PM
713362 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Like The Anime Influence In Today's Cartoons? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you like Anime style artwork in today's cartoons?
Yes - 0 (0%)
No - 18 (78.3%)
I don't care either way - 5 (21.7%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Do You Like The Anime Influence In Today's Cartoons?  (Read 17961 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 10:17:52 PM »

I think it's getting way overused.  I mean, there are some "anime style" cartoons I like because they good shows (Avatar, for instance), but it bugs me when we're seeing a lot of old school shows redone in Anime style (like the new Transformers, or Lunatics for instance).  It just doesn't LOOK right now on robotic characters.  And what really bugs me is when, for comedy effect, they have the character briefly morph into these REALLY exaggerated "large faces" and stuff, to me, it destroys the mood and takes away any sort of credibility or seriousness the show is trying to build (a la Teen Titans).

And for that matter, what is UP with that "tear drop" thing that I keep seeing over and over?  Yes, I know what it means in Japanese cartoons, but why the heck are American cartoons now using it as well?  A drop of water by someone's head doesn't mean s**t to us Americans!  (Yeah, call me ethnocentric if you want, but I stand by my point, plus I doubt it means anything to Canadians, Afrcians, Europeans, etc, etc either.)

Tear Drop? Enlighten me for those of us that do not, have not, will not watch Anime.

I'd like to know about the "tear drop" thing too.  I can't recall noticing it before.

As for anime, I don't really care one way or the other.  I'll watch any style of animation as long as the story is good and it's well drawn within its style. 

Well, I watch a lot of anime and I am a big fan, but the teardrop thing still puzzles me.  Though, through my experiences watching the shows, I have theorized that the teardrop represents 3 things, embarrassment, witnessing something weird, and feeling slightly threaten.  I think the teardrop represents those things and that’s how it is represent in anime character.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:22:12 PM by InformationGeek » Logged

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
BTM

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 10:46:09 PM »

According to my sources, the drop of water means the character's either embarrassed or thinking deeply about something.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Jim H

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 01:55:21 PM »

NO!!

Anything after about 1960 sucks hind tit. The quality fell off sharply about that time. Just in the number of cells made per toon was reduced greatly and then they went with overlays where the image didn't change just the mouth moving. Now along come Anime with their BIG ANIME EYES ... what's up with Japanese animation and big round eyes, I have theories.

Yeah, the 1960s is when it switched from theatrical shorts to TV shorts.  They were produced quicker and had much lower budgets - hence, cheaper, inferior, animation.  On the whole, I'd also say writing standards fell - at least in the old school style cartoons, like those from Warner Bros.

Anime seems to have a style over substance approach to things, which is escpecially annoying since I don't care for the style.

One thing to keep in mind is there's a heavy filter on what kind of anime we see in the west.  We only get a very small percentage of anime produced.  It's a pretty big thing over in Japan, which runs a huge gauntlet of genres and styles - think of how American film must look outside the USA when the only films that get wide releases world wide are the gigantic big budgeted Hollywood action films. 

One thing I will say though - anime is, on the whole, amazingly homogenous visually.  If you watch three or four different American cartoons, you'll likely see much more variety between them than 95% of all anime.

I don't know, I'm not really an anime "fan" per se, there have just been shows I liked in the past.  I haven't watched any anime in a year or two, actually.  My personal favorite is Trigun, for what that is worth.

As far as the influence - I was fine with it when it was minor in the 90s.  For example, Gargoyles has some anime influence in its visuals, but it is relatively minor and actually adds to its look.  There are a lot of shows now that are HEAVILY influenced by anime, and it is done poorly to boot.  And I don't like that at all.  One thing western cartoons have in abundance is variety in visuals, and they really should work to maintain that. 

I also don't think anime-type storylines should be adapted to western cartoons.  It really is never that well-done, and they're so ridiculously bloated in the Japanese originals (I'm referring to Shounen Jump type stuff like Dragon Ball, which is what normally gets ripped off) that they can't ever copy them very well.
Fishasaurus
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 10:52:10 AM »

Anime influence seems, potentially, like the death blow to the individuality of animated cartoons.  It's all starting to look the same to me.

It takes a child to raze a village. -- Jello Biafra
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 10:55:40 AM »

Batman The Animated Series

Small | Large

The Batman

Small | Large

Oh, man...

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Javakoala
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 07:05:24 PM »

I'd vote against "The Batman" just because of what they did to the little squirrels.
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 04:44:21 PM »

So I was watching Saturday morning cartoons with my kid and noted how much Japanimation influence there is nowadays.  I won't pretend to be an expert in the field but its pretty easy to spot.  The spiky hair, the big eyes, etc were all over cartoons like the new Transformers.  Although I can appreciate the art work, I don't really care for it.  Matter of fact I've grown a bit sick of it. (no offense if you like it) How do you feel about it?   

I had a friend who was huge into Anime.  He had a friend in Japan who he'd trade comics with.  Oddly, his friend preferred X-men comics to Anime. 

Ya know, I feel the same way.

I got nothing against anime. In fact, I dig it. I'm not hardcore obsessive like I know a lot of people can get with it, but I like it. I'm not too deep into it, but I really like stuff like Devilman, Akira, Ghost In The Shell, and a lot of H-anime. I even liked The Big O. But I really, really, really don't like the way that "edgy" anime style has integrated itself into everything nowadays. Look at that new Batman cartoon on the W.B. It's terrible.

Of course, at the end of the day, I really couldn't give a rat's patoot what the art looks like, as long as the story itself is still good. I'm not a fan of this new anime-inflected version of EVERYTHING, but I could live with it... if only the cartoons themselves didn't suck so hard these days.

I'm a big 11-year old, really. I still live cartoons and Saturday morning programming and "stupid" kids' stuff. But there are very few cartoons around nowadays that are any good. Remember the old W.B. Batman and Superman cartoons? I can watch them now and still be blown away. It isn't just nostalgia. Those shows were genuinely great. I watched Batman and Superman every chance I could, and I HATE Superman. That's how good that Superman toon was. Cartoons today suck. Hard.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Jim H

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »

So I was watching Saturday morning cartoons with my kid and noted how much Japanimation influence there is nowadays.  I won't pretend to be an expert in the field but its pretty easy to spot.  The spiky hair, the big eyes, etc were all over cartoons like the new Transformers.  Although I can appreciate the art work, I don't really care for it.  Matter of fact I've grown a bit sick of it. (no offense if you like it) How do you feel about it?   

I had a friend who was huge into Anime.  He had a friend in Japan who he'd trade comics with.  Oddly, his friend preferred X-men comics to Anime. 

Ya know, I feel the same way.

I got nothing against anime. In fact, I dig it. I'm not hardcore obsessive like I know a lot of people can get with it, but I like it. I'm not too deep into it, but I really like stuff like Devilman, Akira, Ghost In The Shell, and a lot of H-anime. I even liked The Big O. But I really, really, really don't like the way that "edgy" anime style has integrated itself into everything nowadays. Look at that new Batman cartoon on the W.B. It's terrible.

Of course, at the end of the day, I really couldn't give a rat's patoot what the art looks like, as long as the story itself is still good. I'm not a fan of this new anime-inflected version of EVERYTHING, but I could live with it... if only the cartoons themselves didn't suck so hard these days.

I'm a big 11-year old, really. I still live cartoons and Saturday morning programming and "stupid" kids' stuff. But there are very few cartoons around nowadays that are any good. Remember the old W.B. Batman and Superman cartoons? I can watch them now and still be blown away. It isn't just nostalgia. Those shows were genuinely great. I watched Batman and Superman every chance I could, and I HATE Superman. That's how good that Superman toon was. Cartoons today suck. Hard.

Did you ever see Justice League?  I thought it was pretty solid.  But yeah, kids cartoons are pretty crap on the whole now.
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2009, 08:31:28 AM »

Ugh.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2009, 06:32:43 PM »

I'm totally into anime at the moment. The thing you have to understand is that most of the appeal has less to do with style and more with story. The evolution of manga and anime in Japan (and lack of censorship, especially to younger viewers) allowed the medium to address broad themes and concepts. By contrast, American animation, which was based around vaudville and innocuous humor, over time became thought of mainly as children's entertainment.

The big eyes that the style is famous for was inspired partly by Max Fliesher cartoons but even more by Disney (Snow Wite and Bambi, in particular, which influenced "God of manga" Osamu Tesuka. Its a convention that has survived mainly due to the Japanese placing such a high value on cuteness. Big eyes denote an innocent character (such as Ash Ketchum in Pokemon), whereas slanted eyes suggest a more menacing character (such as Spike Spiegel in Cowboy Bebop).

The funny thing is, some of the "classics" you mention, particlarly from the 80's onward, had much of the animation duties performed by japanese anime companies. This includes Batman: The Animated Series (which was even more inspired by anime's adult themed storytellying), Jem, Inspector Gadget, GI Joe (all American hero my ass), Transformers (a series which was originally adapted from a line of Japanese toys) and Thundercats.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:39:57 AM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 08:30:30 AM »

The funny thing is, some of the "classics" you mention, particlarly from the 80's onward, had much of the animation duties performed by japanese anime companies. This includes Batman: The Animated Series (which was even more inspired by anime's adult themed storytellying), Jem, Inspector Gadget, GI Joe (all American hero my ass), Transformers (a series which was originally adapted from a line of Japanese toys) and Thundercats.

The difference now is that many of the American cartoons that you see today, like the most recent Batman series, are making the conscious effort to mimic the style and content of a "typical" anime. The suits in charge of all these shows, by the way, seem to think anime means "edgy" artwork, lots of speed-lines, big eyes, pointy noses, lots of flashing explosions, and little else.

As I said before, I really couldn't care less about the artwork (though I do admit that I'd like to see a return to more Westernized styles, especially in the case of Batman... dammit, I miss Bruce Timm! ...anime influence or no, there's a difference between being influenced for the better, and just straight copycatting... which is what you see so much of today) as long as the cartoons themselves are good. And that's the big problem with the cartoons I see today. Anime, non-anime, whatever. Hell! Give me that old Golden Book style where there weren't any moving pictures, just cameras panning across still illustrations. I'll take scribbles if ya got 'em. It doesn't matter. Just put some effort into the writing, ya know?

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 01:12:26 PM »

Another example :

Extreme Ghostbusters

Small | Large

The Real Ghostbusters

Small | Large

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
ds21
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2009, 12:18:31 AM »

Most of what's on cartoon Network is junk.  If anime influence means that we actually get something that's funny without being gross, offensive, or boneheaded, then I'm fine with it.

Looney Toons... now THERE'S art, IMO.

I am David
David I am

Making the world a little more random since 1989.
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2009, 02:50:23 PM »

Most of what's on cartoon Network is junk.  If anime influence means that we actually get something that's funny without being gross, offensive, or boneheaded, then I'm fine with it.

God, have you seen The Loonatics, or whatever its called, where they take the classic Looney Tunes and make 'em "edgy."

::vomit::

ds21
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2009, 08:55:12 PM »

God, have you seen The Loonatics, or whatever its called, where they take the classic Looney Tunes and make 'em "edgy."

::vomit::

Hatred Hatred Hatred

how dare they!!!!!!! blastphomy!!!!!!!!

I am David
David I am

Making the world a little more random since 1989.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Like The Anime Influence In Today's Cartoons? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.