Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:31:31 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  rich people into shape shifting now « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: rich people into shape shifting now  (Read 8048 times)
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 11:45:34 PM »

Gold is. . . . . .

A really cool color for a Lab. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 01:28:39 AM »

Ohhh, he's just a big sweetie! A bit drooly, but cute. I like Rotties.

Of course he's drooly, he's looking at that tasty morsel. Little Yorkie snacks.

Actually they are big babies and they have no concept of how large they are, mine still believe they are lap dogs. Mine average 125 lbs. terrify people and they wouldn't hurt a thing.

I think this thread is now officially derailed.   

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 10:28:25 AM »

I think this thread is now officially derailed.   

You think? TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 10:31:44 AM »

Lester is telling us that inflation and the value of the US dollar are the primary factors in determining the price of gold. Yet, on the other hand, he's quoting a document (from?) that basically tells us that gold is influenced by many factors, including inflation and the US dollar. Doesn't seem to reinforce the argument all that much.

first let me say you can feel free to disagree with me about anything.  I welcome it so don't hjold back.

If I say that golds price is determined mainly by inflation and the value of the us dollar then produce a quote, sorry I didn't link the source it's a failrly generic explanation,  saying that those are two of the factors how is that not reinforcing my point?

I said gold price was determined by the value of the dollar and so does the quote.

inflation is literally the adding of more dollars to the money supply.  that's the only thing that inflation is.  

NOw, gold DEMAND can be raised when there is alot of volatility  and people think the dollar is GOING to fall.

here's an easier way of understanding it:  gold buys about the same amount of stuff it always does.  a carpenter got paid 20 dollars a week in 1914 or one ounce of gold.  today a carpenter makes  20 or so dollars an hour or 800 dollars a week or roughly one ounce of gold.  it just works out that way thugh not exactly

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:34:04 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 01:38:52 PM »

first let me say you can feel free to disagree with me about anything.  I welcome it so don't hjold back.

But don't expect a differing opinion to be respected. Honestly, backpedaling is the closest I've seen you come to agreeing to disagree with someone. Welcoming different points of view for a pleasant and lively discussion is one thing, welcoming them as a challenge, because you think you can shoot them all down is something else entirely. Differing opinions should move the discussion forward, leading it in different directions. In your threads, they invariably lead to bickering back and forth over the same point until everybody gets sick of it or Andrew is forced to lock the thread. I don't see the value in that.

If you're looking to discuss ideas, you're going to have to bend a little. If you're looking to 'educate' us or convert us to your way of thinking, I can only say 'no, thanks.'

If I say that golds price is determined mainly by inflation and the value of the us dollar then produce a quote, sorry I didn't link the source it's a failrly generic explanation,  saying that those are two of the factors how is that not reinforcing my point?

Because that wasn't your original point. To say that those are two of many factors is a far cry from saying "if the us governmetn (sic) could just stop spending and inflating it's currency gold would be at a more reasonable price and people would be less apt to do all this awful stuff to get it." As for the source of the quote, if you are going to cite something as proof of your position, where it's from is important, just as a general rule. Not all sources are equal, and not all of your sources have been objective in the past. If it is just common knowledge, why put it in quotes, unless you mean to give it weight? If you want it to count as anything more than your own opinion, you need to identify your source.

I don't disagree with the quote, but I do

inflation is literally the adding of more dollars to the money supply.  that's the only thing that inflation is.  

Was that ever questioned?

NOw, gold DEMAND can be raised when there is alot of volatility  and people think the dollar is GOING to fall.

I quite agree. However, it's not what you said originally. Indeed, you downplayed the role of nervous investors driving up the demand, and thus the price. You've been pretty specific about causes.

here's an easier way of understanding it:  gold buys about the same amount of stuff it always does.  a carpenter got paid 20 dollars a week in 1914 or one ounce of gold.  today a carpenter makes  20 or so dollars an hour or 800 dollars a week or roughly one ounce of gold.  it just works out that way thugh not exactly.

Well, that was patronizing. So, is your point that the price of gold hasn't really risen at all? Are you saying that inflation is bad because, in practice, the average income is not keeping pace with the cost of things (a reasonable concern, if supported), or that the amount of money in circulation has been, overall, exceeding the rate of economic growth (again, a reasonable concern), or maybe that there should be the same amount of money in circulation as there was in 1914, in spite of nearly a century of growth? That last one would be damned silly.

I'm just not seeing the point in posting these threads. You believe debt is bad, saving is good, inflation is somehow unnatural, and government policies are largely to blame. I got that a year ago. Since then, you've basically made the same points, supported by the same arguments. And your response to disagreement is to make the same points again, but more simply, because we obviously don't understand.

What you don't seem to understand is just how offensive that can be. I think it's safe to say that the regulars on this board are generally intelligent and well-informed, and have a wide range of education and experience. You should be showing everyone a little more respect.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:46:50 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 01:40:34 PM »

Oh, I almost forgot.

---------------------
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 03:42:08 PM »

If you're looking to 'educate' us or convert us to your way of thinking, I can only say 'no, thanks.'

that's what a debate is.  the person with the point left standing wins.  I shoot down yours you shoot down mine.   

I'm just not seeing the point in posting these threads. You believe debt is bad, saving is good, inflation is somehow unnatural, and government policies are largely to blame. I got that a year ago. Since then, you've basically made the same points, supported by the same arguments.

lol why are you participating in the thread if you feel this way?   did someone tell you you HAD to?

To say that those are two of many factors is a far cry from saying "if the us governmetn (sic) could just stop spending and inflating it's currency gold would be at a more reasonable price and people would be less apt to do all this awful stuff to get it."

no it's saying  the same thing.  that's the root of the problem, the us inflating it's currency.  that causes the price of gold to rise and that causes people to go diving deep into scary unsafe mines in africa and south america to try and find it.

If you want it to count as anything more than your own opinion, you need to identify your source.

I don't "have" to do anything.  it's a message board not a new york times article

What you don't seem to understand is just how offensive that can be.

so you fill my thread with pictures of dogs and insult me? 

Look, I happen to own gold.  i track it by following the performance of the US dollar, mainly.  go to www.321gold.com  or www.kitco.com and I think you'l find most of the analysis is related to the dollar. 

Im' sorry you don't happen to like this explanation but there aren't any others I'm aware of.

why do YOU think the price of gold is above 800 dollars an ounce ?

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:01:48 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 07:40:02 PM »

OK, there were a number of ways you could have responded to that, and you picked the most likely. You're right and that's that. Makes for really good conversation.

Anyway, tell it to Skruffty. I hereby give up.

---------------------
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »

thanks for hijacking my thread out of animus to me and reality

why do YOU think the price of gold is above 800 dollars an ounce ?

still waiting...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »

You're welcome.

And I never claimed to care why gold is $800 an ounce. I just offered advice on getting along with people.
If it makes you feel better, you are absolutely right, always, about everything. I am sorry to have ever questioned you. You are much smarter than anyone on this board in every way. Now, enjoy your thread, for all the discussion is likely to advance with only one correct opinion (sorry, I mean "reality"), already stated back at the beginning.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:27:24 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »

"you're welcome. And I never claimed to care why gold is $800 an ounce. I just offered advice on getting along with people.
If it makes you feel better, you are absolutely right, always, about everything. I am sorry to have ever questioned you. You are much smarter than anyone on this board in every way. Now, enjoy your thread, for all the discussion is likely to advance with only one correct opinion (sorry, I mean "reality"), already stated back at the beginning."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 04:49:01 PM »

Now that you mention it, you do remind me of Comic Book Guy.

---------------------
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 10:20:59 AM »

wow.  nice variation on "I know you are, but what am I?" there.  Do you compose comebacks professionally?  Can I hire you for the next time I get hassled for no reason on a discussion board?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:22:33 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 10:25:23 AM »

This thread is done.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  rich people into shape shifting now « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.