Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:27:37 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Invaders From Mars (1953) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Invaders From Mars (1953)  (Read 2556 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 15, 2009, 08:10:43 PM »

A little boy sees a flying saucer land near his house.  His Dad goes to investigate and gets turned into a remote-control zombie.  Several other people follow suit.  The kid is desperate to find anyone who believes him.  Surprisingly, he does, and the Proper Authorities mobilize against the alien invaders ...

I was thinking, "what a great movie" all the way through this.  Then it turns out it was all a dream.

f**k you for that, movie.  f**k you right in the ass.   Hatred

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:15:53 PM »

There was a British release of "Invaders from Mars" that cut out the "it was a dream" ending.  Unfortunately, this version has been effectively lost. 

The recent Wade Williams DVD release of "Invaders from Mars" features American and British versions of the film -- the British version on this disc keeps the "it was a dream" ending, but has some additional footage that was cut into the British version. 

Out of curiosity, what do you think of the bit at the end where, after waking up from the dream, the boy sees a flying saucer land again? Was he dreaming again, or was it really happening, and his dream had been prophetic?

akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:25:45 AM »

Out of curiosity, what do you think of the bit at the end where, after waking up from the dream, the boy sees a flying saucer land again?

It made me even angrier.

Was he dreaming again, or was it really happening, and his dream had been prophetic?

Either way ...  Hatred

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
peter johnson

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 03:04:43 PM »

Well, if it's prophetic, then the whole "dream" thing takes on new meaning.  I like this film and the remake of it -- now I can't remember if the remake had it be a dream as well, or just left it as real . . . anyone?
You can't beat that goofy "leader" in the glass ball!!
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 10:17:04 PM »

My review of the remake from four years ago says:

And it's all a dream again, until it isn't!

I don't remember any more than that.

Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 12:53:46 PM »

I enjoyed the original more than the Tobe Hooper remake, but both are fun films to watch. The ending of the 1953 version scared me the first time I saw it, I was about 7 years old at the time, I've always wondered what young David was going to do about the Martians and the spaceship that were now behind his house. What's he going to tell his parents ? What if he's still dreaming ? On the other hand what if they're really there ? The only other part that scared me was that girl, Kathy Wilson, she was just frightening as an emotionless Martian slave. When my daughter was in junior high school I rented both versions of these movies and we watched them in order, she found the remake to be quite funny, especially the scene in the high school basement where the original Martian leader can be seen perched on a storage shelf. The weird music that could be heard in the original just before the Martians sucked people under gave her a couple of nightmares. I always thought that was kind of stupid, why warn the people you're going to grab, just suck them down into the tunnel. I have to say these are two of my favorite movies.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 08:20:35 PM »

Both versions of INVADERS FROM MARS are worth checking out, the remake being faithful to the original in tone at least.  The original is a classic, even if Akiratubo wants his movies to be real!!!  Twirling

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Invaders From Mars (1953) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.