Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:38:55 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Poltergeist « previous next »
Poll
Question: What do you think of Poltergeist?
I love it! - 5 (33.3%)
I think it's good - 9 (60%)
Meh - 1 (6.7%)
Overrated - 0 (0%)
What is this piece of crap? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Poltergeist  (Read 5008 times)
ds21
Bad Movie Lover

« on: February 10, 2009, 12:12:17 AM »

I just watched it, and was very disappointed.  I just wondered what everyone else thought.

I am David
David I am

Making the world a little more random since 1989.
TikTac
New Visitor

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 01:22:23 AM »

Well I think the key is not to watch it as a super scary horror film, because it's not. To me, it wasn't scary at all and was really sort of cute in a way.
ds21
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 01:25:58 AM »

Well I think the key is not to watch it as a super scary horror film, because it's not. To me, it wasn't scary at all and was really sort of cute in a way.
That may have been part of my problem.  I was really looking for something scary.

I am David
David I am

Making the world a little more random since 1989.
Paquita
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 03:14:22 AM »

I love it but my opinion doesn't count... I used to watch it with my dad a lot and he would always sing the "god is in his holy temple" song to creep me and my mom out.  Fond memories.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 03:39:46 AM »

I love it but my opinion doesn't count... I used to watch it with my dad a lot and he would always sing the "god is in his holy temple" song to creep me and my mom out.  Fond memories.

That quote was from Poltergeist 2Smile

Small | Large

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 08:07:48 AM »

I think it's good.  It had some excellent characters in the father and mother.  I liked a lot of the little touches, like them smoking some pot in bed.  I also liked the way they thought the haunting thing was really cool at first, putting the kid on the kitchen floor and she'd slide around.  Mom thought it was amazing, the kid was bored.  The movie really seemed to go on a long time though, especially towards the end. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 09:11:01 AM »

This film is comfort food to me because it was one of my first scary movies that I watched religiously.  I can see by today's standards its kind of "meh" but watching it as a kid was awesome.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Paquita

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 09:52:01 AM »

That quote was from Poltergeist 2Smile

We watched them both! I liked them both! They were recorded on the same tape. I dont like part 3 though.  I <3 Craig T Nelson.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 11:09:57 AM »

This film is comfort food to me because it was one of my first scary movies that I watched religiously.  I can see by today's standards its kind of "meh" but watching it as a kid was awesome.

Me too  TeddyR

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 09:23:01 PM »

I liked it.  Creeped me out as a kid.  Nowadays, not so much.  I'd have shipped my kid off to a boarding school in Alaska if it happened to me.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Torgo

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 10:46:06 PM »

This movie scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. I saw it in theaters when I was 8. Gave me nightmares!

Small | Large

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 05:05:20 PM »

It's been more than 10 years since I saw it, but as I remember, it was good but not great.

It's surprising I don't remember it as great overall, since it had a number of great individual scenes and elements.  The trees, the melting face in the mirror, the creepy psychic, and of course the iconic scene of Drew Barrymore in front of the television saying "they're here." 

That's a lot of memorable scenes for a movie not to stand up as great.  I guess it's a testament to the fact that the script didn't have a strong story arc, but rather seems like something written with the intention of stitching a bunch of great images/special effects together.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
monkeymomma
New Visitor

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 08:20:22 AM »

For Halloween every year my 13 year old son and his friend sit in the driveway with a tv and watch scary movies while they hand out candy.  Neither of them like trick-or-treating, and i hate getting up and answering the door every five minutes, so it works out well for eveyone.  This past Halloween I rented Poltergeist for them to watch.  They came in after it was over and were aghast at the "second ending".  They liked the movie and were surprised that it was PG and I saw it when I was younger than they are now.  My son said that explained a lot about me and walked away.
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 08:52:20 AM »

...and of course the iconic scene of Drew Barrymore in front of the television saying "they're here."

That was Heather O'Rouke in Poltergeist, Drew Barrymore was in E.T.

Two of the actresses from the film died at young ages. Heather O'Rouke died in 1988 from cardiac arrest brought about by bowel obstruction and Dominique Dunne, the older sister, was strangled to death by her ex-boyfriend in 1982, the same year the film was released; the bastard only served 4 years for it.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 08:40:36 PM »

...and of course the iconic scene of Drew Barrymore in front of the television saying "they're here."

That was Heather O'Rouke in Poltergeist, Drew Barrymore was in E.T.

Two of the actresses from the film died at young ages. Heather O'Rouke died in 1988 from cardiac arrest brought about by bowel obstruction and Dominique Dunne, the older sister, was strangled to death by her ex-boyfriend in 1982, the same year the film was released; the bastard only served 4 years for it.

You're right about Heather O'Rourke, of course.  (Am I required to write "as usual"?)

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Poltergeist « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.