Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:32:33 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Bram Stoker's Dracula or Mary Shelly's Frankenstein ? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer ?
Dracula - 7 (53.8%)
Frankenstein - 6 (46.2%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bram Stoker's Dracula or Mary Shelly's Frankenstein ?  (Read 7621 times)
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« on: January 20, 2009, 09:46:18 AM »

When I was growing up all my mates told me how good Dracula was and how rubbish Frankenstein was. They were wrong. Frankenstein was a great story of a man who was smart but not wise. Dracula is the stroy of a smug git. Who happens to be immortal. Who cares ?

Oh, and Frankenstein doesn't have Keanu Reeves rubbish accent.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:51:04 AM »

I've always been partial to the Frankenstein tale, no matter how ya slice it.

Never been a vampire kind of guy. But I've always had a weakness for Frankenstein and Frankenstein-esque re-animation stories.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 12:23:43 PM »

As far as the books, Frankenstein.  I don't think it's as good as its reputation, but I can at least stand to read it.  Dracula was one of the hardest slogs through a book I've ever had.

As far as the basic stories, I could go either way.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:25:43 PM by akiratubo » Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 01:09:13 PM »

I must admit that I found "Frankenstein" much more readable as a novel than "Dracula" as both Frankenstein and the Creature are both very interesting characters. I did like "Dracula" but it wasn't as engaging as "Frankenstein". I actually prefer Edgar Allen Poe as a writer of horror.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 01:10:59 PM by JJ80 » Logged

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
Doggett

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 02:57:11 PM »

I forgot to mention, Winona Ryder 's accent is equally as poor as Keanu's TeddyR

akiratubo

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 03:20:08 PM »

If we're talking about the two '90s movies, I'll still take Frankenstein.  Coppola's Dracula was bad, and boring.  I did think the lighting (of all things) was impressive.  Branaugh's Frankenstein was pretty bad too, in many of the same ways, but it was at least much more energetic and at least a little less self-important.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 03:22:47 PM by akiratubo » Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 06:26:18 PM »

Books?  FRANKENSTEIN, by a mile.

Original Universal 30s movies?  FRANKENSTEIN, by a mile.

90s remake?  DRACULA, even despite Keanu and Wynona dragging it down.  Much better visuals, far less boring to me.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 06:56:48 PM »

Vampires all the way, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 07:01:56 PM »

I voted for DRACULA.  The DeNiro Frankenstein monster was ridiculous.  As for the old Universal movies, I prefer FRANKENSTEIN.  Now, if we want to talk about the books, I think DRACULA is superior to FRANKENSTEIN.  I also think YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN was better than DRACULA: DEAD AND LOVING IT and OLD DRACULA.  And the old Marvel TOMB OF DRACULA comic books were much better than the MONSTER OF FRANKENSTEIN (title eventually changed to FRANKENSTEIN MONSTER).  I preferred the old Aurora DRACULA model kit to the FRANKENSTEIN model kit.  And COUNT CHOCULA cereal was better than FRANKENBERRY (although, they were both better than BOO BERRY).  ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN had both DRACULA and the FRANKENSTEIN MONSTER in it, and neither of them were as funny as Abbott or Costello.    

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Doggett

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 07:45:30 PM »

I loved DeNiro's Frankenstein. Helena Bonham Carter as the bride was really freaky and far sadder the bride in the classic film of the '30s.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 08:21:44 PM »

Though I didn't think much of it at all, I actually made it all the way through "Mary Shelly's Frankenstein".  Took two tries though. 

"Bram Stoker's Dracula", I lasted 15 minutes maybe.  It had a cool opening scene and then the bottom just dropped out entirely.

And I'm a huge fan of Gothic horror.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 10:33:38 PM »

I voted for DRACULA.  The DeNiro Frankenstein monster was ridiculous.  As for the old Universal movies, I prefer FRANKENSTEIN.  Now, if we want to talk about the books, I think DRACULA is superior to FRANKENSTEIN.  I also think YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN was better than DRACULA: DEAD AND LOVING IT and OLD DRACULA.  And the old Marvel TOMB OF DRACULA comic books were much better than the MONSTER OF FRANKENSTEIN (title eventually changed to FRANKENSTEIN MONSTER).  I preferred the old Aurora DRACULA model kit to the FRANKENSTEIN model kit.  And COUNT CHOCULA cereal was better than FRANKENBERRY (although, they were both better than BOO BERRY).  ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN had both DRACULA and the FRANKENSTEIN MONSTER in it, and neither of them were as funny as Abbott or Costello.    

Wow. That is going into detail! I'm going to go the Burgomeisters route and address all those choices as well...just because...I dunno...because it seems like FUN!  Smile
.Being as the original question seems to pertain to the newer remake films-I have to say DRACULA by default....even though Sid Vicious as The Count didn't do it for me. By default-because I never saw the DeNiro FRANKENSTIEN!
.the Universal seies-Thats a tough one! FRANKENSTIEN was the better made film by far. Brownings DRACULA was ok...saved only by Bela Lugosi. And the first 20 minutes or so of DRACULA are cinematic beauty. BUT...I have to choose....DRACULA....I'll bet you can guess why. LUGOSI. Lugosi is so otherworldy....so alien to the human race....so etheral...alien... and devoid of human contact for so long...he communicates in non sequieters. Untill he moves to Carfax Abby and the film turns into a filmed stageplay and looses it's magic. But Bela makes Dracula my favorite. Not to deny Karloff and FRANKENSTIEN it's due. The original FRANKENSTIEN is my favorite of the FRANKENSTIEN series of films. It took itself more seriously than BRIDE...the Monster was second fiddle in SON...and the rest were fun B pics. But the first was classic. Gee...I dunno....I have to tie those two. DRACULA and FRANKENSTIEN were both classic!!!
.The books? Eh...DRACULA. Frankenstien was too old fashioned. The Monster was smarter than most English professers,fer crying out loud!
.HAMMER Dracula series or Frankenstien series? FRrankenstein...hands down. Peter Cushing got more screen time in his series then Lee did in his.And Cushing is sooo much fun as the "do or die" Doc! But most of the Monsters in the Frankenstien series were...welll....lame. Just stupid and dumb. (Though I like Lee's ugly Monster-or "Creature" as he was billed-and the pseduo Universal  looking Monster in EVIL of FRANKENSTIEN).Lee just was a guest star in most of his own films!!! He was a GREAT Count...and yet Hammer wasted him!
WHY?!?!?!
.The Aurora model kits? CREATURE of the BLACK LAGOON!  TongueOut Hmmm....thats a tuff one....I dunno....probley Drac...sentimental reasons. He was the first one I got. And I had them ALL.
.FRANKENBERRY. I don't like chocolate cereal. Tastes like mud.
.And...of course my favorite actors for the charecters..Me...I mean...Bela for Dracula,next Chris Lee,than John Carradine. For Frankie-King Karloff, than Glenn Strange (he just looks so cool!),then...uh...Peter Cushing as the Doctor!  Smile
.OH! And BLACULA was FAR better than BLACKENSTIEN! Unless yer drunk...than BLACKENSTIEN is a hands down knee slapper!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 12:32:26 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 11:12:03 PM »

Speaking souly of the 90s movies...I'm more for Frankenstein due to the fact Bram Stoker's Dracula tried to be too artsy fartsy at times.  I love Gary Oldman and he did shine in the movie.  However, Dracula was more or less plagued with a menagerie of oddness at times that made it a bit pish posh.  That and of course as already mentioned, Reeves as an Englishman...yeah...dude. 

More or less, Frankenstein kept to Shelly's themes about a man who had everything but lost it due to his quest for forbidden knowledge.  It also maintained a sense of sympathy towards the monster. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
TrashFilmChristy
New Visitor

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 12:24:06 AM »

hmmm...
Books...both classics, hard to choose.
Universal classics...definitely Frankenstein.
Hammer...another hard choice. both are awesome.
90s movies...both suck BAD and I refuse to sit through either again to remember which sucked less. pee-yew!!!

I don't think I ever ended up with the Aurora models, but I have the Luminators models and have always been partial to the Frankenstein.
In fact, I believe I have a lot more Frankenstein toys than Dracula toys, but more Dracula comics than Frankenstein comics.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 12:47:06 AM »

hmmm...
Books...both classics, hard to choose.
Universal classics...definitely Frankenstein.
Hammer...another hard choice. both are awesome.
90s movies...both suck BAD and I refuse to sit through either again to remember which sucked less. pee-yew!!!

I don't think I ever ended up with the Aurora models, but I have the Luminators models and have always been partial to the Frankenstein.
In fact, I believe I have a lot more Frankenstein toys than Dracula toys, but more Dracula comics than Frankenstein comics.

Crimeny! I frgot about comic books! DRACULA LIVES and TOMB of DRACULA was much better than Marvel's pug-nosed FRANKENSTIEN. Gene Colan's Drac was a unique creation! Oh yeh-...
.BILLY THE KID VS> DRACULA was better than JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTIENS DAUGHTER ony because of John Carridine. Don't get me wrong...I love them both!

Small | Large

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Bram Stoker's Dracula or Mary Shelly's Frankenstein ? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.