Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:42:59 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  2009 Oscar Nominations « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2009 Oscar Nominations  (Read 15696 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 06:21:17 PM »

The Academy would seem to have a schizoid attitude, when it comes to animated films. They see nothing wrong with placing "Slumdog Millionaire" in the category of
Best Picture, even though . . .

(a) It is a joint U.S./U.K. production, which makes it in part, a foreign film. And . . .

(b) It is in both English and Hindi, which it in part, makes it a foreign language film, but . . .

"Wall-E" which is totally an U.S. production and totally in English is relegated to Best Animated Film.

And to add to the confusion, "Waltz with Bashir," which is animated film from Israel, is placed in Best Foreign Language Film, which is the foreign equivalent of Best Picture, instead of Best Animated Film.

If I were the people responsible for "Slumdog Millionaire," I would have pushed for Best Foreign Language Film, where it is almost assured of winning an Oscar, instead of Best Picture. Though, apparently, at this moment, it is the odds on film to win the Oscar as Best Picture.

I'll also add, if the public was voting by ticket sales, the winner of Best Picture would be "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," the only film--so far--among the entries that have grossed over a $100 million at the box office. The other four films nominated, combine gross--so far--have yet to gross a $100 million.
Susan
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 11:42:42 PM »

I am still bitter towards the oscars for moving their date from late march to february. They're trying too hard to ride the coattales of the golden globe and SAG awards but that short time period doens't give me enough time to watch all the movies I want to see before the awards.

Same bastards who decided to break up the olympics to every 2 years i'm sure
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »

Indeed TDK was a mediocre popcorn film but it being up for any Oscar is cool with me.  This is because 90% of the movies nominated for any type of award in the past 10 years seem to be mostly pale and lifeless dramas.  All of which I have no interest in seeing. 

Personally, maybe it's just me, but I just flat-out hate the Oscars. Strikes me as just a big Hollywood glitterati circle jerk where the rich/pretty/pretentious douche bags get all dressed up in their best "look at meeee!!!!" outfits and give themselves all a big pat on the back and compliment each other on how rich/pretty/pretentious they are. I think of it all as just a snobby, self-important celebration of ego-stroking bologna. Maybe that's just me, but I effin' hate the Oscars. Call me harsh. Whatever.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 12:44:27 PM »

Indeed TDK was a mediocre popcorn film but it being up for any Oscar is cool with me.  This is because 90% of the movies nominated for any type of award in the past 10 years seem to be mostly pale and lifeless dramas.  All of which I have no interest in seeing. 

Personally, maybe it's just me, but I just flat-out hate the Oscars. Strikes me as just a big Hollywood glitterati circle jerk where the rich/pretty/pretentious douche bags get all dressed up in their best "look at meeee!!!!" outfits and give themselves all a big pat on the back and compliment each other on how rich/pretty/pretentious they are. I think of it all as just a snobby, self-important celebration of ego-stroking bologna. Maybe that's just me, but I effin' hate the Oscars. Call me harsh. Whatever.

I think you described it better than I ever could. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Susan
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 09:29:43 PM »

I liked the oscars when joan rivers did the pre-show. The celebrities dreaded the interviews with her on the red carpet because she would say ANYTHING.

To sarah jessica parker "Oh turn around let me see that dress. Love it. But my dear I have to say, what the hell where you thinking when you put on those shoes?"

And she loved to look at engagement rings. I remember her saying to kevin costners fiance "YOu should be ASHAMED Of yourself. You deserve more than that honey"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 05:14:03 AM »

I hope Mickey Rourke takes it and I'll be happy if Martin McDonagh (In Bruges) and Heath Ledger win too.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 08:40:07 AM »

Okay, I've been pulling for Mickey for a while. Not because I've seen The Wrestler (although I could tell as soon as I saw the trailer that it's the kind of movie I'd love) but because it's really the only movie up there being nominated for Best Actor that doesn't strike me as pretentious tripe. Also, I'm a big Rourke fan to begin with, and I think he deserves the award (he's certainly one of the best actors out there period, in my opinion).

But, anyway, now I'm gonna be rootin' for him even harder, as I finally got to see The Wrestler last night. Truly an awesome (and I mean that in that in the strictest sense, in that it filled me with awe) picture. As we speak, I'm typing up a review of it right now.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 09:00:13 AM »

Never been a fan of awards in general, doesn't matter if it's for movies or anything else. There's very little objectivity, and a whole lot of politics, emotions and personal bias. We've all seen choices that leave us going "huh?" and this is why.

I must say the Academy Awards have gotten a little more inclusive when it comes to sci-fi, action, comedy, etc., but there is still a lot of bias toward "important" films. And some bias against popular films. There was a time when The Dark Knight would have been relegated to technical awards - best sound editing or some such thing. That's improved, but snobbery is still the rule. Pleasing the customers is not necessarily a factor in pleasing the industry.

I think this is what makes the Oscars not just irrelevant to me, but also uninteresting. It's not just the movies that get nominated year after year that I have no interest in seeing, but the ones I've never even heard of until everyone in the industry is touting them as the year's best. Maybe they are. I think it's great that smaller movies get some attention, but why should I root for them when I know nothing about them?

And count me as another person who was not blown away by Heath Ledger's performance. He was very good, but I have to question whether he would have gotten as much attention and praise had it not been for his tragic death.

That's the problem with the Oscars. You don't know the reasons for the choices. Nobody has to defend them. And then the award itself is held up as an argument for the quality of the film.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:48:14 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 04:43:20 PM »

And count me as another person who was not blown away by Heath Ledger's performance. He was very good, but I have to question whether he would have gotten as much attention and praise had it not been for his tragic death.

I hate when people say he might have or only gotten nominated because he died or he only has praise because of his death.  That's not the case.  He got the nomination and got the praise because his performance was great and it happened to be better than most every other film in 2008, which is why he was nominated.  Plus, his performance was not only impressive, it made us forget than he died and made us forget that he was even Heath Ledger.  I mean really, I watched the movie and forgot who he was, litterally thought I was looking at the Joker.  Almost all movies you watch, you instantly see someone you know and just think well, there he or she is playing a part in the movie.  Not with him.

Well I'm on the topic, I dislike it when people say the only thing that was good about the film or was memorable was his performance.  No, that's not what only rememberable.  The big rig flip, the final confrontation with Two-Face, the first appearance of the bat-pod, when Batman glides into that guy's office in China, when the body smashes against the window, or when Batman tries to rescue everyone who were dressed to look like the bad guys.  I mean, those are just as rememberable as any scene with the Joker.  I mean, come on, that's like saying the only thing that is rememberable about Peter Jackson's King Kong was King Kong himself.  I remember the dinosaurs in that film more than King Kong.

Back on the topic of Oscars, I'm still ticked off that Wall-E, The Dark Knight, The Wrestler, and Revolutionary Road were rejected for awards that they deserved.  That is all.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 04:42:32 PM »

Yay! Mr. Rourke is giving his BAFTA acceptance speech for best actor as I type.....   Smile

peter johnson

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 11:48:29 AM »

"In Bruges" should have been up for Best Picture, and all 3 actors -- Colin Farrell, Ralph Fiennes, and Brendan Gleason should have gotten acting nods as well.

I'll be rooting for it for "Best Original Screenplay" then . . .

peter johnson/denny disappointed

I have no idea what this means.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  2009 Oscar Nominations « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.