Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:20:37 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Tropic Thunder « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tropic Thunder  (Read 5020 times)
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« on: November 26, 2008, 09:41:09 AM »

I rented this movie months after seeing it in the theater, and it's as funny as it was back then.  I can't remember the last time I've laughed so hard at a movie.   

This may be one of the best, smartest, and all-around amusing comedies I've seen in a while.  It's a scathing look at the world of Hollywood, taking a real good look at people who all seem to be pretending to be other people, on and away from the set.

However, this film is not for everyone.  Like all good comedy, it pokes around at a lot of touchy subjects.  One scene in particular has the potential to offend, if the lines are taken out of context.  You'll know what scene that is when you see it. 

The biggest surprise of this film, to me, is Tom Cruise, who plays the vicious Hollywood Producer, Les Grossman.  he did such a great job disappearing into his role, that when I first saw this movie, I didn't even know it was him until the credits.  I thought it was David Cross.   BounceGiggle
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 11:40:19 AM »

I thought it was decent when I saw it in the theater (just not enough consistent laughs for me to think it was great).  I recently bought the unrated cut DVD and my opinion of the movie has declined quite a bit.  But I must say some of the performances were excellent (with Tom Cruise being the biggest surprise).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 07:59:25 PM »

Saw this in the theater and thought it was terrible.  It was all I could do to stop myself from getting up and walking out.
It had so much potential but felt like there was something missing. 
The only parts I liked were the scenes with Tom Cruise.  He was hilarious.

Ben Stiller practically sleepwalked through it.  And Downey's performance, while funny at first, quickly got on my nerves.  Jack Black's talent was completely wasted.

Awful film.  I rate it 1 star out of 4 and a big  Thumbdown.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:32:53 AM by Ash » Logged
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 02:43:14 PM »

This is another of those that was recommended by someone that ALWAYS recommends movies that I just can't stand (Nacho Libre, Napolean Dynamite, and a few others have been recommended by this same person). I might try it, but don't have too high of hopes.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Torgo

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 04:14:36 PM »

I loved the movie both in theaters and on unrated DVD but I do admit that it's a love it/hate kind of movie.   

I think it would have worked better if they had had an actual seemingly (though not) washed up action hero like Sylvester Stallone playing the Ben Stiller role.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 10:19:33 PM »

i just saw this one tonight on DVD.  I'm simply ok with it.  I had a few chuckles but thats about it.  I will say Robert Downey Jr. is the best thing going for that film. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 07:27:02 AM »

I didn't like the movie as much as I thought I would've.  I love most movies that Stiller/Black have put out, so it seemed like a no-brainer to throw them together and add Robert Downey Jr (who I also like.)

Sadly, it didn't live up to expectations.

While I did enjoy parts of it, I felt that the Tom Cruise scenes were very much overrated (then again, I'm biased and will hate anything he does.)  I also felt that while it wasn't his best role, Jack Black did a decent enough job as the drug addict, especially the scenes he's tied to a tree. TeddyR

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 08:06:55 AM »

I should add although I'm not crazy over the film, I have to hand it to the cast because most of them are one trick ponys. (Aka Jack Black, Ben Stiller, Tom Cruise) They made me forget why I didn't like most of them.  I loved the fake trailers at the beginning of the film.  Simple Jack made me crack up along with the "never go full retard" conversation.   BounceGiggle
Small | Large

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
peter johnson

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 12:14:16 PM »

Hell, made me laugh a lot -- Didn't really expect anything further from it, but thought the Khmer Rouge-type guerillas worshiping the Forest Gump ripoff was a really great idea.

Also loved the "full retard" bit -- Naw, the trailer made it seem like a big dumb loud comedy like Talledega Nights or some such, so when I found some actual thought had gone into it, I was pleasantly surprised and won-over.

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 10:23:57 PM »

For me, the biggest laughs were the trailers in the beginning.  I must have replayed the Robert Downey/Tobey Maguire trailer a half-dozen times.  The rest of the movie was okay.  It had some laughs, but it was a bit too long.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Tropic Thunder « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.