Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:18:10 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 614132 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #660 on: July 29, 2015, 08:57:10 AM »

MR. HOLMES (2015): In 1947, retired and losing his memory, the real-life Sherlock Holmes (Ian McKellen) tries to remember the details of his final case (which he is sure Watson has reported wrongly), while taking a young boy under his wing as a beekeeping apprentice. Not a mystery per se (although there is a mystery or two), but rather an interesting dramatic take on the detective icon as a lonely old man alienated from humanity by his intensely logical mind. 4/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #661 on: July 29, 2015, 04:12:40 PM »

I think a lot of people miss the depths to what a Marvel film can rise or fall, as they are actually far deeper then a lot of films that are suppose to be deeper, because they are not about superheroes or super heroines, but . . .?! about relationships. Relationships between families, foes, friends, mentors, etc. For example . . .

"Ant-man"

Villain
a hero is only as good as the villain, he or she faces, and "Ant-man" has one of the better ones in Cross. When is the last time you saw a villain that practiced meditation and yoga?

Surprises
not really any surprises in the film, except Pym survived. Maybe because of . . .

Sequel
we are promised a sequel. And I'm down with that.

In-jokes
a number of good in-jokes in the film.

Emotionally
resonating

Cynical
one of the most cynical films I've seen, as it basically says that we are all crooks. It is just some of us are bigger crooks than others.

Creepy
I found it surprisingly creepy, as near death comes by . . .
-drowning
-record needle
-dance step
-falling
-vacuum cleaner
-rat
etc.

Casting
the strength of a Marvel film always comes in the casting. Who'd have thought of casting Michael Douglas as Pym? Not me, but . . .?! He is perfect in the part.

Cameo
what is a Marvel film without a Stan Lee cameo?

After-credits scene
not 1, but 2 after credits scenes.

Action
some good action as a future Avenger takes on a present Avenger.

As to what is next . . .

Mr. Holmes
Except . . .
like so many films I want to see, it is not playing in the area in which I live.

Finest Hours
Based upon the book of the same title and regarded as the greatest rescue at sea in the peacetime history of the U.S. Coast Guard. When 2 oiler tankers run aground off the coast of New England during a storm and start to break up, it is up to the U.S. Coast Guard to set off in small boats to rescue both crews.
Except . . .
It is not scheduled for release to January of next year.

Thus . . .
There may not be anything I want to see till this Thanksgiving, when the next Pixar film "The Good Dinosaur" comes to a theater.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #662 on: August 05, 2015, 08:57:06 AM »

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: ROGUE NATION: Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) once more finds himself a rogue agent when the IMF is shut down (due to events from the previous film), and he is left to hunt down the leader of a criminal syndicate with the help of a female British agent (rising star Rebecca Ferguson). A crowd-pleasing junior James Bond caper with a great chase sequence through the streets of Casablanca; fun, but it too often tries to imitate and top its excellent predecessor, GHOST PROTOCOL, resulting in a few plot (and physics) twists that defy believability. 3.5/5.

VenomX73

« Reply #663 on: August 05, 2015, 06:43:21 PM »

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' 2015

My 1st Dragonball at the movies. 10 out of 10, Frieza was awesome in this one.

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #664 on: August 06, 2015, 03:20:39 PM »

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' 2015

My 1st Dragonball at the movies. 10 out of 10, Frieza was awesome in this one.

So I see this is playing near me and has a 100% Rotten Tomatoes raing. If I know literally nothing about this---I mean, I don't even know if it's a TV show, or what---can I go and still enjoy it?

VenomX73

« Reply #665 on: August 06, 2015, 05:07:53 PM »

Yup its all good, even if you don't like anime, or have not watched the shows.
You may not know the names or anything like that, but it's 100% action packed!

I'd go for it while it's on the big screen, I'm glad I did!

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #666 on: August 12, 2015, 08:49:13 AM »

Yup its all good, even if you don't like anime, or have not watched the shows.
You may not know the names or anything like that, but it's 100% action packed!

I'd go for it while it's on the big screen, I'm glad I did!

Well, you're right that it was action packed and probably best to see on the big screen. I do wish I knew something about the characters, though. It was basically two guys fighting for an hour with what seemed like unlimited godlike powers; nothing was defined or explained for the newcomer. There were like 10,000 characters and I think I would have liked it more if I'd known who any of them were and what they were doing! Still, I don't regret it. 3/5.

dean

« Reply #667 on: August 12, 2015, 09:37:22 AM »

Reposted in another thread but this one's worth a repeat IMO

The Duke of Burgundy:

! No longer available Small | Large

"Peter Strickland's wryly subversive S&M fantasy is everything that Fifty Shades of Grey isn't … a wondrously bizarre affair, beautiful and baffling by turns." – The Independent

Originating as a tribute to 1970s Spanish sexploitation filmmaker Jesús Franco, the third film from wonderfully unique British director Peter Strickland (Berberian Sound Studio, MIFF 2012; Katalin Varga, MIFF 2009) ends up somewhere else entirely: an ethereal, fairytale world of women only, butterflies and human toilets!"

This has been my standout film so far. Produced by Ben Wheatley of  'A field in England, Kill List and Sightseers' fame and directed by Peter Strickland [Berberien Sound Studio, which was one of my favorites last year] this was a great film.

I never thought a film about S&M Lesbians in some weird 50s world with no men would feel so real to me.  Twirling

The characters are great. Its kind of like if Wes Anderson wanted to make an erotic, at times surreal, exploration on what it means to love somebody, and to try and cater to their tastes despite not really being as into it yourself. But really its a fantastic exploration about the relationship between two people and for that it explored BDSM dynamic in a really fantastic way. No crazy people who just want to hurt/be hurt or any of that stupid Fifty shades nonsense; just wonderful characters, lush cinematography and some bizarre psychedelic sequences. 

5/5

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #668 on: August 19, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »

SHAUN THE SHEEP MOVIE: After botching a plan to get a day off, Shaun and his flock of sheep travel to Big City to find and retrieve their farmer, who has amnesia. Full of nonstop nonverbal gags (the restaurant scene is worthy of Chaplin or Keaton) and meticulous animated textures, this dialogue-free adventure gives INSIDE OUT some unexpected competition for best animated feature of the year. 4.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #669 on: August 26, 2015, 09:24:06 AM »

THE END OF THE TOUR: The true story (much of the dialogue was taken from the actual tape recordings) of David Lipsky's intimate interviews with author David Foster Wallace during the last leg of his book tour for his blockbuster literary hit, "Infinite Jest." It's the best movie about two overeducated white guys talking to each other since MY DINNER WITH ANDRE, and I mean that as a sincere compliment. Jason Segel should draw some "best actor" interest for his Wallace, as should the script for "best adapted screenplay." 4/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #670 on: September 02, 2015, 09:12:41 AM »

BEST OF ENEMIES: Documentary covering the televised 1968 Gore Vidal/William F. Buckley debates and the lifelong hatred shared between these two intellectuals on opposite sides of the political spectrum. Vidal wins the debate, but not with ideas; he goads Buckley into losing his cool by calling him a crypto-Nazi, which prompts Buckley to call Vidal a queer and threaten to punch him. The ratings were a hit and contemporary American political discourse was founded. 3.5/5 

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #671 on: September 09, 2015, 01:15:08 PM »

PHOENIX: An Auschwitz survivor has facial reconstruction surgery that changes her appearance, then meets the husband who may have betrayed her to the Nazis in post-war Berlin. Slow-moving but involving post-Holocaust drama with a slight noirish tinge. 3.5/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #672 on: September 14, 2015, 02:13:57 PM »

In the area in which I live, when a holiday falls on a Monday, almost everything closes down, to give all a 3-day weekend. One of the few places that remain open are the movie theaters, which seem to be open 365 days an year. Thus, to keep from sitting around all day in my apartment and going bored out of my gore, I went and saw a movie. A mediocre film, but . . .?! One that had its moments, which we'll get to later, as it was the best of a bad lot showing that day. Thus, we have "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."

Sequel
Since the film apparently lost money at the box office, we are unlikely to see a sequel. Yet, if there is one, I'll probably see it.

Rome
I can't say I have ever been to Rome, but . . .?! I hope to get there in 3 to 4 years.

Hired Help
Anybody can be the boss, but . . .?! Good help is hard to find. Where do the villains go for their underlings? It's not like they are just there standing on the corner.

Hindsight
being 20/20. Who'd would have thought that Germany, whose economy was devastated by 6 years of war. Then divided into 4 power zones and then 2 countries, would emerge today with the most powerful economy in Europe.

Faux pas
Probably wrong, but . . .?! When you kiss the hand, the gloves come off 1st, as it is gauche to kiss a woman's hand, while she is wearing gloves.

Director
One thing almost kept me from seeing the film. The director Guy Ritchie, as the last two films of his I saw were his films with Robert Downy, jr. as Sherlock Holmes. The 1st was bad enough, but . . .?! the 2nd was one of the worst films I've ever seen. The stupidity of the characters in the film was mind boggling.

Children
No children were harmed in the making of this film. Actually, I don't even remember seeing any children at all, even as background extras, nor do I remember seeing any children in the audience, which we'll get to later.

Berlin
Unlike Rome, I have had the pleasure of visiting Berlin a number of years ago. Which is not that far from where my father's family lived, before they emigrated to the U.S. in the 1880's.

Audience
I was surprised to see so many people in the audience for a film that had not been that successful and had already been playing for some time. It's success or its lack thereof is probably due to the fact that its appeal was not to the younger generation, children, but . . .?! to those who remember the TV show which we'll get to next.

TV show
I wish it had come out later in my life, or I had been born earlier, as I might have then enjoyed it more, but . . .?! At my age, when I saw it, I was put off by its black humor and its cartoon violence. Thought, the people guest starring in it, can hardly be beat and include . . .

Anne Francis -- Arthur Malet -- Albert Dekker -- Akim Taminoff -- Angela Lansbury -- Alan Mowbray
Bernard Fox -- Barry Sullivan -- Bradford Dillman -- Bill Dana -- Bonnie Franklin -- Brooke Bundy -- Barbara Feldon -- Broderick Crawford
Carol Lynley -- Curd Jurgens -- Carroll O'Connor -- Charlie Ruggles -- Chad Everett -- Caesare Danova -- Cher -- Charles McGraw -- Charles Lane
Dan O'Herlihy -- Dorothy Provine -- Darren McGavin -- Doodles Weaver -- Daniel J. Travanti
Eleanor Parker -- Eddie Albert -- Elsa Lanchester -- Estelle Winwood -- Eleanor Audley -- Eric Braden -- Elisha Cook, jr.
France Nuyen
George Macready -- Glenn Corbett -- Gavin Macleod -- George Tobias -- Gerald Mohr -- George Sanders
Henry Jones -- Herbert Lom -- Harold J. Stone -- Harvey Lembeck -- Harold Gould -- Hal Smith -- Hugh Marlowe -- H. M. Wynatt
Ivan Dixon
Jill Ireland -- James Hong -- Jack Palance -- Jeannine Riley -- J. Pat O'Malley -- Jack LaRue -- John Carradine -- JohnHJoyt -- James Doohan -- Judy Carne -- Jack Weston -- Jack Lord -- and June  Lockhart -- John McGiver -- John Abbott -- Joan Crawford -- Jay North -- Joan Blondell -- John Dehner -- Julie London -- John Banner -- Jeanette Nolan -- Jesse Royce Landis
Kim Darby -- Kurt Russell -- Kurt Kaszner -- Kevin McCarthy
Lola Albright -- Leslie Nielsen -- Leonard Nimoy -- Lee Merriwether -- Liam Sullivan
Madlyn Rhue -- Maurice Evans -- Martin Balsam -- Mary Ann Mobley -- Michael Rennie -- Martin Landau -- Marta Kristen -- Malachi Throne
Nancy Kovack -- Noel Harrison -- Nancy Sinatra -- Nehemiah Persoff -- Nobu McCarthy -- Ned Glass
Pat Crowley -- Patricia Medina -- Peggy Ann Garner -- Perry Lopez -- Paul Lukas -- Paul Winfield -- Patsy Kelly -- Pat Harrington, jr.
Rip Torn -- Ricardo Montalban -- Ronald Long -- Richard Kiel -- Roger C. Carmel -- Richard Anderson -- Robert Culp -- Richard Beymer -- Robert Strauss -- Richard Erdman -- Reta Shaw -- and Ruth Warrick
Sid Haig -- Senta Berger -- Slim Pickens -- Shelley Berman -- Sonny Bono -- Sue Anne Langdon -- Shelia Macrae -- Sharon Tate
Tony Bill -- Telly Savalas -- Terry Thomas -- Ted de Corsica -- Ted Cassidy
Vera Miles -- Vito Scotti -- Victor Borge -- Victor Buono -- Vincent Price -- Vic Tayback -- Victor Buono
William  Marshall -- William Shatner -- Werner Klemperer -- Whit Bissell
Zalman King and Zohra Lampert

And that is only a partial list of the guest stars on the show, or, why the '60s' was one the best decades for watching TV.

Next time: either the newest Bond or boy scouts vs. zombies. whatever comes 1st.
Harold J. Stone --

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #673 on: September 16, 2015, 09:10:41 AM »

THE GIFT: An awkward old high school acquaintance (once known as "Gordo the weirdo") forces himself into successful businessman Simon's life with a series of gifts; Simon says he doesn't remember him, but there are hints that Gordo may have been bearing a grudge for a long time. A dramatic thriller that succeeds more through depth of characterization than plot twists. 3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #674 on: September 23, 2015, 08:43:23 AM »

GRANDMA (2015): Young Sage shows up at Grandma Elle's house needing $600, and the crusty old lesbian poet fires up her rustbucket and hauls around town seeking to call in favors from friends she's alienated. Lily Tomlin (who just turned 76!) puts an angry feminist spin on the comedy stereotype of the obscene grandma. 3.5/5.

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.