Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:16:28 AM
713348 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 615657 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #690 on: December 06, 2015, 02:52:46 PM »

The Good Dinosaur

Beautiful story. Beautiful animation. And a darn fine Oater, as well.

Recognize the middle peak of Claw tooth Mountain? It is the peak Paramount Viacom uses on its logo. "Pay your respects to the competition. For where they are today, may be where you are tomorrow."

The strength of Pixar lies in its willingness to play against one's expectations.
Who'd have thought that the smallest would come from the largest. Not I.

That those you think you can trust, you can't trust, and those you think you can't trust, you can trust. Though, that is becoming more common, especially in books read.

Surprises
The violence was surprisingly violent. Thus, the PG-rating was well earned.

While it developed that way, at the beginning, I expected more "What was that, Lassie? Timmy has fallen down the well!"

Not that the film was free of Stereotypes.
The older sister is the brains in the family, and the older brother is the brawn in the family.

That the son can only come into his own, when the dad is gone. "The Lion King."

And notice . . .
That snakes have legs in this version.

Ere the film . . .
"Zootopia." The only animated trailer to get a laugh from the adults in the audience.

Surprising, though, it should not be, one can really bond with the animals in the film. Maybe because the people who made the film knew how to pace and edit, which is hard to do.

And look for all the in-jokes. Already, just looking at the film poster, in-jokes for Prada and Burberry.

Which may be why, while the other animation studios are good, Disney/Pixar is in a league by itself, and why this year, they dominate the Annies. That is not to say that they'll win, for as in all such awards, the best does not always win.

Next time: I was hoping to see the latest film version of "Macbeth," but . . .?! That is not yet in wide release. So, it looks like my next theatrical experience will be "Star Wars : the Force Awakens."

And we'll see what we'll see.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #691 on: December 08, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »

I'll be watching double features every night this week to catch up on my awards voting.

THE ASSASSIN: A female assassin is sent to kill her own cousin, now leader of a breakaway province, in 7th century China. More HAMLET than HERO, THE ASSASSIN stately and gorgeous, but epically slow and confusing. 3/5.

45 YEARS: On the eve of their 45th wedding anniversary, husband Geoff begins behaving strangely when he receives a letter dredging up a dead romance from the past, before he met wife Kate. Subtly frightening meditation on our inescapable separateness, revealed by how fragile a partnership can be even after decades together. 3.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #692 on: December 09, 2015, 10:09:10 AM »

THE GOOD DINOSAUR: In a world where dinosaurs evolved intelligence, one apatosaurus separated from his farm must conquer his fears to return home (and domesticate humans along the way). Features the most beautifully detailed backgrounds I've seen in an animated film (you would swear they used photographs at times), and while the derivative story was nothing special, it brought a few clever touches to the table (the pterodactyl storm-chasing cult). BSK is right about the violence but he forgot to mention the drug trip, which was quite a surprise in a Pixar movie. I was wondering how moms and dads were going to explain why Arlo the dinosaur suddenly had 8 eyes to their 4-year olds. 3.5/5.

MISTRESS AMERICA: A college freshman with literary ambitions is homesick until she finds friendship and inspiration in the daughter of her mother's fiance, a flighty Manhattanite in her early thirties. A lightly witty and extremely mannered farce about a manic dream pixie stepsis (indie darling Greta Gerwig, who also co-scripted). 3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #693 on: December 10, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »

THE DANISH GIRL:  Based on a true story. Supported by his long-suffering wife, a Danish painter in the 1920s begins dressing as his feminine alter-ego, Lilly, eventually choosing to live as a woman and seeking out then-experimental sex-change surgery. Well acted and well intentioned, but humorless and oh so sensitive, this is a serious movie trapped inside the body of a routine one. 3/5.

ANOMALISA: Stop-motion. A motivational speaker suffering from a nervous breakdown has a brief affair with plain-Jane fan Lisa in a Cincinnati hotel. Strange and surprisingly funny, the movie's formal quirks serve its melancholy thesis that love is an anomaly. 4.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #694 on: December 11, 2015, 10:14:42 AM »

STEVE JOBS: Centered around various product launches, egocentric Apple CEO Steve Jobs deals with logistically crises, corporate backstabbing, and his strained relationship with the daughter he is reluctant to recognize. Surprisingly dramatic, although these biopics of the recently deceased always trouble me since the accused can't explain or defend himself. 3.5/5.

CARTEL LAND: Documentary focusing on the Autodefensa, a civilian vigilante group formed to fight against the Templar drug cartel in Mexico's Michoacán province, and also on a paramilitary group on the American side of the border ("Arizona Border Recon") that has declared war on the cartels. Shocking, brutal footage shows the complexities of Mexico's drug wars and brings a dawning realization that the purest intentions are inevitably corrupted and there may not be good guys on any side of the conflict. 4/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #695 on: January 06, 2016, 09:49:10 AM »

ROOM: 5-year old Jack, who lives as a captive with his mother, knows nothing of the world outside Room, the only reality he's ever known; when he's freed can he adjust to the hubbub of the outside world, and to people who are not his mother? Journeys from tense to tender, earning every tear it jerks along the way. 4.5/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #696 on: January 06, 2016, 06:19:47 PM »

ROOM: 5-year old Jack, who lives as a captive with his mother, knows nothing of the world outside Room, the only reality he's ever known; when he's freed can he adjust to the hubbub of the outside world, and to people who are not his mother? Journeys from tense to tender, earning every tear it jerks along the way. 4.5/5.

I am glad that you enjoyed it. Frankly, it's not my cup of tea, but . . .?! The film does have that rare distinction of a child performance, here Jacob Tremblay, who plays the boy in the film, so good, that there is talk of nominating him for an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. He has already been nominated by the Screen Actor's Guild in Best Supporting Actor for his performance in the film.

And whether he wins or not, he's going to be a busy little man this year in 2016. Having 4 films coming out, the last 3 being in post-production.

Before I Wake
Burn Your Maps
Shut In
The Book of Henry

If he keeps this up, it looks like he'll have a nice career as an actor ahead of him.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #697 on: January 13, 2016, 09:43:06 AM »

THE BIG SHORT (2015): Follows three groups of contrarian investors as they make big bets against the housing market right before the subprime mortgage crisis of 2008 bursts the real estate bubble. Quirky characters and clever 4th-wall breaking asides to explain key concepts (with celebrity cameos) energize this financial thriller, which is pitched about halfway between the smarts of MARGIN CALL and the glitz of WOLF OF WALL STREET. 4/5.

dean

« Reply #698 on: January 20, 2016, 01:19:20 AM »

The Hateful Eight:

So my short review of The Hateful 8: looks beautiful on 70mm (and ironically doesn't do too many landscape shots). Not Tarantino's best in my opinion and suffers a bit from some scattered characters. Still a fun enough ride if you can get over the pointlessness of how often people punch Jennifer Jason Leigh. Sammy Jackson at his descriptive best in one scene with an image that will burn in my brain for a while and Walter Goggins puts in a stellar performance as well.

Given the 3 hour running time I probably didn't need 45 minutes of introductions and the 'oh my lord, is that you x? Well I'll be' seems to get looped incessantly and could have been trimmed somewhat.

SEE IT IN 70mm if you can!

Side note; sound cut out at the screening during a key scene and was actually pretty fun because of it.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #699 on: January 22, 2016, 11:44:19 AM »

THE REVENANT (2015): 19th century scout Glass miraculously survives being betrayed and left for dead by his hunter companions, then sets out to survive the wintry wilderness as he hunts for revenge. The icy cinematography is the highlight of this somewhat overblown adventure; Tom Hardy again impresses as the villainous Fitzgerald, and Leo di Caprio stays in the chase for his first Oscar. The bear attack is great. 3.5/5.

jimpickens
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #700 on: January 23, 2016, 03:14:19 AM »

Star Wars the force awakens mediocre at best basically a reboot of a new hope.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #701 on: February 05, 2016, 03:54:22 PM »

ACADEMY AWARD NOMINATED SHORT FILMS: ANIMATION: This year's Academy Award nominated animated shorts include Hindu superheroes from Pixar, a stick-figure vision of the future, the melancholy tale of an escaped circus bear, a comedy about two cosmonauts trying out for a space launch, and a sketchbook melee that's so violent and gory that they advised children to leave the room before it aired. "World of Tomorrow" is the critic's favorite, and would get my vote, but it may be too out there for Academy tastes (if so, look for "Bear Story" to win). I look forward to these every year; this is the strongest slate since they started sending these out to theaters. You shouldn't miss it if you have the chance. 4.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #702 on: February 10, 2016, 09:57:41 AM »

KUNG FU PANDA 3 (2016): Titular Panda Po, still childlike but now a celebrated kung fu warrior, must deal with a chi-stealing master from the spirit realm while simultaneously learning about his panda heritage when his biological father shows up. "Wuxia cute" is a hard tone to maintain, but this spectacular looking animation (love the split screens!) does a decent job. Shaw Brothers fans will like this. 3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #703 on: March 16, 2016, 08:55:16 AM »

EMBRACE OF THE SERPENT (2015): In two journeys separated by decades, an Amazonian hermit and shaman reluctantly guides two European scientists on a trip to find a legendary medicinal plant. Colombia's entry in last year's Academy Awards is slow but beautiful, and shows a world and a culture we haven't seen very often in movies (CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST this ain't). It fumbles a little at the end but there's a "Heart of Darkness"/APOCALYPSE NOW vibe to the journey downriver. The best part by far is a visit to a Christian mission/orphanage, and then the return years later to see how it has changed; I would have built the whole movie around that part. 4/5.

dean

« Reply #704 on: March 17, 2016, 04:06:29 AM »

The Witch:

Old timey creeper of a film. A definite slow burner. Saw it at a cinema and right before things got a bit more intense someone loudly exclaimed "Is this a comedy?" as it was bordering on getting a bit silly and too full of itself. But then it started getting bloody and brutal. Gotta say though that the trailer was so good it was pretty hard for this one to match the hype. I can't help but feel that if they had a bit more cash and a bit more special effects they could have done something truly amazing. That being said I really enjoyed it, just know you have to be in the mood for a lot of religious based moaning in the first two thirds with not enough gore/scares to balance out the 'drama' 4/5

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.