Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:47:29 AM
714148 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 617572 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #720 on: June 20, 2016, 04:58:59 PM »

I need to get this out, ere I forget what I was going to say.

"Finding Dory"

Sometimes the critics are right.
If "Finding Nemo" was a film about a parent's concern for a child that has physical challenges, then "Finding Dory" is a film about parents' concern for a child that that mental challenges. And . . .
with "Inside Out" and now "Finding Dory," Pixar is doing more films about the human mind.

On the other hand . . .
the film critic for the local weekly rag is wrong. Then I think he or she is wrong most of the time anyway. (IMHO) the best action scene is not the squid chasing, but . . .the truck hijacking. Not only is it as exciting as the other scenario, it is funny as hell. And from a human standpoint it is the more likely scenario to occur.

And you can count on 2 things occurring in a Pixar film.
1st. John Ratzenberger will do a voice cameo. Here he voices the husband Bill. And . . .
2nd. There will be a list of "production babies," or babies born during the production to people who worked on the film, during the credits. Something that Disney animation has picked up on.

And . . .
whether it is an in-joke or not, having Sigourney Weaver voicing Sigourney Weaver, is one heck of an in-joke.

And . . .
it only took them 13 years, but . . .?! the escapees from the fish aquarium in "Finding Nemo," finally made if all the way across the ocean, from Sydney, Australia to Morro Bay, California. But . . .?!

The business of business is business.
Which actually interests me more than the films themselves

This film has set a new Hollywood record for an opening week for an animated film, beating out "Toy Story 3," which had the old record. This over performance ought to go someway to making up for the underperformance of "Alice Through the Looking Glass." Though . . .

The film studio in monetary trouble at the moment is Paramount. Not only do they have fewer arrows in their quiver, but . . .?! One of their arrows, the newest "Ninja Turtles" is another underperformer at the box office. Making about half of what the 1st film made to date its opening weekend.

And . . .
it'll be interesting to see what shakes out next month in July, as "BFG" and "The Legend of Tarzan" open that 1st week. Then a week later "The Secret Life of Pets" opens, and 2 weeks after that, "Ice Age : Collision Course" opens.

The last two, from the trailers, are why the Academy ought to give the Oscar for Best Animated film to Pixar one year, then the next year Disney Animation. "Moana," anyone? Which has gotten some good play so far, especially among the natives of the South Pacific, who now have a character with whom they can identify. Not to say that other animated films won't be popular, but . . . Pixar/Disney is way ahead of the other American animation studios when it comes to animated films (IMHO.)

And . . .
That's how we earn the brownie points. Pixar/Disney now have the film's director come on ere the film and say thank-you for watching this film in your local cinema. We'll see how long that lasts.

Next time: as previously said, "War craft."

Needed to make a quick correction.

While the biggest opening for a Pixar film was "Toy Story 3," it was not the biggest opening for an animated film. That was for "Shrek 3." Though, the opening for "Finding Dory" has now surpassed both films.

And one other item of note. 62% of the audience to date has been female. We'll have to see if that changes.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:29:50 PM by BoyScoutKevin » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #721 on: June 20, 2016, 06:38:18 PM »

"Finding Dory"

So I'm almost 100% certain to be seeing this, should I be concerned that I never saw the original?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #722 on: June 20, 2016, 07:33:41 PM »

"Finding Dory"

So I'm almost 100% certain to be seeing this, should I be concerned that I never saw the original?

The down and dirty answer is "No!" Most people should be able to enjoy "Finding Dory," even if they have not seen "Finding Nemo." Of course, if one is truly concerned that one will not enjoy "Finding Dory," not having seen "Finding Nemo," "Finding Nemo" should be able on dvd for viewing.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #723 on: June 22, 2016, 08:56:51 AM »

WEINER: After laying low after a sexting scandal forced him to resign from Congress, Anthony Weiner launches a campaign for mayor of NYC and becomes the frontrunner---until a SECOND sexting scandal breaks, in the middle of the race. Weiner is a fascinating bundle of contradictions: an idealist, a hothead, a charmer, a politically savvy tactician who is incredibly naive about his post-scandal prospects, and a man who ruined his own career through series of lies who nonetheless shows an almost embarrassing level of candor and self-examination throughout this political trainwreck documentary. 4/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #724 on: June 25, 2016, 02:54:32 PM »

And we have a winner!

Pixar's "Piper," which played before "Finding Dory." From the audience reaction, or, at least, the audience with which I saw it, if it does not win the Oscar for Best Animated Short Subject, it'll probably be nominated for an Oscar for Animated Short Subject.

Next time: that's what I get for waiting around, I wanted to see "War craft," but . . .?! Now it's not playing in a cinema near where I live. As a big fan of Civil War films, though, I do see that "The Free State of Jones" has just opened, and having learned my lesson, I'll make an effort to see it this coming Sunday, even though the local reviews for it, have not been that positive.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #725 on: July 06, 2016, 08:56:54 AM »

THE NEON DEMON: An ethereally beautiful 16-year old girl travels to Los Angeles to become a model; she's an immediate hit, but not everyone in town wishes her success. Nicholas Winding Refn's slow, surreal and saturated take on the horror genre makes for a beautiful movie, the kind you want to show off to friends, but the "Hollywood feeds on beauty" message is too shallow to commit to. 3.5/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #726 on: July 07, 2016, 06:08:02 PM »

The Free State of Jones

I can understand why some people dislike the film. It is not a perfect film. It could be better, still . . .?! There are a number of reasons to see it.

1st. It does give one some understanding of what life was when and where. Some. Total understanding would most likely come, only if one actually lived where and when.

2nd. Well, one can understand why it was rated R. It does give one some understanding of the horrors of war. Again some. Total understanding again would most likely come, only if one was actually there.

3rd. It does cover Reconstruction. At least up to 1876. A period of time that is not covered that much, at least, in comparison to the War.

It is the little things that make and unmake a film.

Fix bayonets.
There have been scholars that have studied the cause of deaths and wounds during the War, and, at least, some of the studies have shown, that few, for various reasons, of the deaths and wounds were caused by bayonets.

While I  can understand why it was done this way to show that nearly every person shot was killed instantly. That was not the case. Most of the people shot in the battle would survive the initial shooting. Only to die later or to survive the wound, and with medicine the way it was at that time, those that died were probably the lucky ones.

How do we know that the Knights were relatively prosperous for that time and place?
Their windows actually had glass in them.

Let George do it.

There are always questions.

Is history always inevitable? Could something have been done at that time to change the course of history? And if it had changed, would be better or worst off?

What would I do, if I lived at that time and place? Really. I have no idea as to the answer to that question.

Every time I see something like this set in the past, or read something, either fiction or non-fiction, I always ask myself, why mankind has not managed to wipe himself off the face of the earth.

Miscellaneous

This is not the 1st story to cover the Free State of Jones. "Tap Roots," both the book and the film upon which it was based, told the same story. The most notable fact about the film, besides the fact that it stars Van Heflin, is that Boris Karloff plays an Indian in the film. Not that far off, as Karloff was part Indian. Though, not a native American Indian in the film, but . . .?! an Asian Indian, which is why he took the name of Karloff. An exotic name to go with a somewhat exotic appearance. Though, his brother ne'er seemed to have any trouble with his appearance, having a long and distinguished career in the British foreign service under the family name of Platt.

And as many films I have seen, which is in the hundreds, it ne'er ceases to amaze me how much work and how many talented people it takes to make a film.

Next time: I mean to see either "BFG" or "The Legend of Tarzan" on Independence Day, which I failed to do. Thus, I'll try to see one of them this weekend.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #727 on: July 13, 2016, 08:58:12 AM »

SWISS ARMY MAN (2016): Stranded on an island alone, a suicidal man is saved when a magical farting corpse washes ashore, and he's able to adapt the body into a jet ski, water fountain, gun, and eventually, therapist. The absurd minimalist premise grows stranger and more interesting as the film progresses (though it arguably laps itself at the end). Sort of a hallucinatory expansion of the scenes between Tom Hanks and his volleyball in CASTAWAY informed by Ben Franklin's "Fart Proudly." 4/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #728 on: July 18, 2016, 10:44:28 AM »

AS THE GODS WILL: A series of toys/figurines (e.g. daruma doll, "beckoning cat") based on Japanese dieties come to life and put high school students through a series of deadly elimination contests. Followers of gory Japanese madness will appreciate Takashi Miike's superior effort packed with exploding teen heads, creative monsters, satisfying riddles, and wild black comedy. 3.5/5

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #729 on: July 19, 2016, 11:39:45 AM »

From the Fantasia Film Festival

EYES OF MY MOTHER (2016): A young girl on an isolated farm grows up alone, and very twisted, after her parents predecease her. This black and white serial killer character study is doomed to falls between audiences: it's too slow and somber for the average horror fan, but too grisly and disturbing for all but the most adventurous of art-house patrons. 3/5. 

THE WAILING (2016): A black magic plague hits a small Korean village, and a cowardly police sergeant finds himself in the center of the maelstrom when his young daughter becomes one of the victims. An exotic EXORCIST at an epic length (2.5 hours), patient audiences will find much to savor here, especially Kwak Do-won's leading role, which starts out in comedy and ends up in tragedy. 4/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #730 on: July 20, 2016, 09:28:21 AM »

THE LURE (2015): In this unique Polish fairytale-horror-musical, two mermaids come to the surface and become the headliners at a burlesque disco. The message here is clear: don't date a bisexual singing stripper killer mermaid, it will only end in heartbreak (or worse). 4/5.

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #731 on: July 20, 2016, 09:19:15 PM »

Saw the new Tazan movies.  It was mediocre at best. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #732 on: July 21, 2016, 10:54:30 AM »

More from Fantasia Fest:

MOMOTARO: SCARED SAILORS: In this Japanese propaganda film from 1945 anthropomorphic animals work together on the home front supporting the military, who plan to retake a Pacific island from the Allies with paratroopers. How can you rate something like this? It's a complete curiosity, one of Japan's earliest animated films with a style and quality comparable to early Walt Disney; it's mild and idyllic until the cute little bears and monkeys grab bayonets and capture a cowardly Popeye. 3/5 for the curiosity factor.

THE ALCHEMIST COOKBOOK (2016):A man hides out in the woods, practicing ancient alchemical rituals from an old book, intending to summon a demon to make him rich. Ty Hickson, onscreen for the entire movie, acting opposite a cat, does a good job in a tough role, but the scenes when his worldly cousin Amari Cheatom shows up to deliver food, medicine and chemicals really sparkle and make you wish director Joel Potrykus has indulged his Tarantino-esque ear for dialogue in a two-person scenario. 2.5/5

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #733 on: July 23, 2016, 05:04:30 PM »

THE GREASY STRANGLER (2016): A repulsive old man and his son run a rip-off disco tour in LA; the grease-obsessed father is secretly a killer known as the Greasy Strangler, and when his son falls for a nice lady, he feels the need to take her for himself. This sicko comedy is grotesque, off-putting, and totally amoral; it's got a lot of balls (literally) but no heart. Hard to recommend to general audiences, but what it does, it does with unapologetic greasy verve, and if you want to see a John Waters movie done with Tim and Eric's sense of humor, this is your only choice. 3.5/5

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #734 on: July 24, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »

The BFG

From the novel of the same title by Roald Dahl.

I have only see 2 or 3 of the many films based on the works of Dahl. Though, that is more films than of his books I have read, which is 0. He's never been my cup of tea. Though, I did enjoy this movie well enough.

The title character was one of the more interesting film characters I have come across, as he was trapped between the world of the Beings (or us) and the world of the Giants, of which, he was one.

Still, he had more choice as to what happened to him, then Sophie, the little girl in the film, who had no choice as to what happened to her, and I can hardly think of a worst fate, then being without choice in your life.

A surprising amount of depth in the film. For when has 2 people not gone to war, because they perceived each other as being different. But . . .?! Still . . .?! Two people can put aside their differences and work together for the common good.

Though, the most surprising thing I found in the film was the amount of humor in it, which I quite enjoyed.

A Spielberg film, and, while the Company has distributed other of Spielberg's films, this is the 1st that he has made--apparently--for them directly. And we will see how long this relationship lasts. Though, there is a rumor in Hollywood, that he is somewhat unhappy at how he and his films have been treated by his previous studio Universal/NBC/Comcast.

Next time: who knows?
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.