Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:37:57 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 615606 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #750 on: October 02, 2016, 02:32:02 PM »

The Magnificent Seven
the 2016 remake

While the 1960 original had better . . . (IMHO)
--writing
--villain
--opening
--music
--direction
--action
--acting

I did think the 2016 had the better . . . (IMHO)
--cinematography, as it had more opportunities to expand its horizon.

And while Denzel Washington is no Yul Brynner, it is hard to believe this is Denzel's 1st western, as he does show what a good actor, and Denzel is a good actor, can do with a role.

Though . . .?! If I had it in my power, I have tossed out the script, and made this into an actual event, just to see how it might have played out in real life.

Still . . .?! I am glad I saw it, as if the trailers that preceded the film were any indication of what was upcoming, we are set for films that are . . .

(a) less realistic
(b) more mind boggling in a negative sense
(c) less interesting
(d) all of the above.
And the race is on to the bottom.

Next time: maybe Queen of Katwe. Though . . .?! It is not playing particularly in my area.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #751 on: October 04, 2016, 09:07:32 AM »

MASTERMINDS: A well-meaning but dimwitted security guard is manipulated by a sexy coworker into stealing $17 million from his armored car company, then betrayed after he flees to Mexico. Zach Galifinakis does a nice job as the lovestruck dupe in a mullet, and you'll surely laugh a couple of times. Comes close to being a good movie, but it too frequently it strays from character-based caper comedy into dumb gags (often delivered via montage). 2.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
dean

« Reply #752 on: October 08, 2016, 11:00:43 PM »

Train to Busan 2016

Top of the Korean box office and it's a zombies on a train movie!

! No longer available Small | Large

I had a lot of fun with this one: Entertaining action set pieces and mindless fun enough to not worry about plot holes. This one killed it in the Korean box office and is most certainly going to get a sequel.

Basic plot: Neglectful fund manager dad takes daughter to ex-wife in Busan via the fast train. With hints of an accident at a local biotech facility, just as they leave the station a girl runs into the train, starting off a series of zombie infections throughout the train whilst the cities in Korea all get overwhelmed. People who are on the train need to move through carriages/go to infected stations to try and survive the zombie outbreak on the train and the cities around them.

Great zombie design, interesting world building and the fact that it's on a train for the most part actually makes it quite tense at times. I give it a 4/5, probably the most fun zombie I've seen in a couple of years.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #753 on: October 12, 2016, 08:59:43 AM »

Dean: TRAIN TO BUSAN was a hot ticket at Fantasia. I went to see some more under-the-radar movies while it was playing because I thought it would get distribution for sure and I'd be able to catch it later. Plus, zombies, meh.

QUEEN OF KATWE: The true story of Phiona Mutesi, who grows up illiterate in the Ugandan slum of Katwe but is discovered to be a prodigy when she signs up for a church-sponsored chess team. It tugs obvious heartstrings quite effectively, but the tone-perfect portrait of hard life in Katwe provides compensation for the cynic, while still hitting the inspirational notes for the target audience. 3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #754 on: October 19, 2016, 09:46:05 AM »

HARRY AND SNOWMAN: In the mid-1950s Dutch immigrant Harry DeLeyer pays $80 for Snowman, a plow horse bound for the slaughterhouse; the horse turns out to be a jumping prodigy who will change Harry's life. Low-key, linear, but legitimately heart-tugging documentary. A must for horsefolk. 3/5.

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #755 on: October 19, 2016, 10:35:23 AM »

HARRY AND SNOWMAN: In the mid-1950s Dutch immigrant Harry DeLeyer pays $80 for Snowman, a plow horse bound for the slaughterhouse; the horse turns out to be a jumping prodigy who will change Harry's life. Low-key, linear, but legitimately heart-tugging documentary. A must for horsefolk. 3/5.

I envy your access.  Seems it will have very limited screenings in Canada.  Read the book and plan to see the film.  I recommend the book to my students (I am a professional equestrian coach).  It is a simple story that will appeal to horsefolk, as you say.  Inspiring to those of us doing it on a budget.   Wink

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #756 on: October 19, 2016, 12:01:04 PM »

I envy your access.  Seems it will have very limited screenings in Canada.  Read the book and plan to see the film.  I recommend the book to my students (I am a professional equestrian coach).  It is a simple story that will appeal to horsefolk, as you say.  Inspiring to those of us doing it on a budget.   Wink

Lots of horsefolk here in KY, I think that's why it played here.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #757 on: October 26, 2016, 01:16:40 PM »

MISS HOKUSAI (2015): Anime biopic on the life of Katsushika O-Ei, daughter of famous Japanese painter Hokusai; she's almost as devoted to painting as her famous father, but constantly feels inferior and knows she will never be as great as he is. Heavily episodic without much in the way of growth or development, but colorful splashes of the supernatural and dream sequences that recreate famous Japanese prints help the way across some dry spots. 3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #758 on: November 02, 2016, 10:09:40 AM »

DON'T BREATHE: Three teenage burglars break into a blind Iraq war veterans home to rob him, but discover the old coot is more dangerous than they expected when he locks them in and turns off the lights. Remorseless and full of wrinkles. Hard to believe this was directed by the same guy who brought us the lame EVIL DEAD reboot, but it just goes to show you the power of original material. 4/5.

dean

« Reply #759 on: November 04, 2016, 12:35:50 AM »

DON'T BREATHE: Three teenage burglars break into a blind Iraq war veterans home to rob him, but discover the old coot is more dangerous than they expected when he locks them in and turns off the lights. Remorseless and full of wrinkles. Hard to believe this was directed by the same guy who brought us the lame EVIL DEAD reboot, but it just goes to show you the power of original material. 4/5.

I really like Fede Alvarez. Even the Evil Dead reboot wasn't horrible in my opinion. The only thing I thought was lacking in Don't Breathe was a bit of a lack of proper character development (beyond Jane Levy and even then it stretched that a bit) plus the whole angle it ended up going in verged on a bit 'on the nose' in regards to that one strapped up scene. Still it was really well shot and nicely tense for a film with only a few people in it. I look forward to seeing what he can do with the news he may be tapped to direct a Girl with a Dragon Tattoo sequel.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #760 on: November 04, 2016, 03:48:22 AM »

Dr Strange. Marvel's latest superhero offering. Had to do some persuading to get Kristi to go see it, but in the end she did and enjoyed it. Tilda Swinton kept giving me the impression her character had a really impish sense of humour and I kept expecting her to do something a bit childish and silly. Decent film, ticked the right boxes for me but nothing game changing.

Basically if you've enjoyed the other Marvel movies you'll enjoy this one too. If not, then give it a miss.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #761 on: November 11, 2016, 10:35:36 AM »

DR. STRANGE: An arrogant physician discovers he is a magical prodigy (and defender of the universe) after seeking help from a mystical cult to cure his damaged hands. Marvel's most visually spectacular movie, with psychedelic-hued neural universes and fast-folding Escher cityscapes; it's nothing special plotwise, but it is a solid spectacle. Every time I think Marvel is finished, they pull out another success; but I do think this is their last franchisable character, and the future holds little besides lame crossovers (one of which was hinted at in the post-credits). 3.5/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #762 on: November 26, 2016, 04:57:11 PM »

Moana

Action
Again why some of the best action sequences are not in your live action films, but in you animated films. I doubt if one can get something as humorous and as exciting as the coconut pirates in a live action film. And while not as humorous, the climatic action sequence between the villain and our heroes is probably best done again not in a live action film, but in an animated film.

Eyebrows
When Maui 1st appears, watch his eyebrows. Do they remind you of anyone?

Inside jokes
I imagine there were a mess of them. Probably more than I caught. The 1st one was probably the best definition of a Disney princess you are going to find in any film--Disney or non-Disney. The 2nd one was, and a reason to stay to after the credits, was the one after the credits. The one everyone else missed, because they already left the theater.

Islands
What I couldn't figure out was whether the islands portrayed in the film were based on actual islands in the Pacific, or were they totally fictional?

Maui
Probably one of the most rounded heroes in a Disney animated film.
He touches both your funny bone and your heart -- both braggart and man of his word -- both feeling and unfeeling -- both hero and coward -- both thoughtful and thoughtless.

The villain
A hero is only as good as the villain he or she faces. I won't say too much about the villain, as not to give too much away, but among animated films Disney has had some of the best, dating back to the days of old Peg leg and the Big Bad Wolf, and this is no exception.

And, yeah, I enjoyed it.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #763 on: November 29, 2016, 08:25:47 AM »

The Magnificent Seven
the 2016 remake

While the 1960 original had better . . . (IMHO)
--writing
--villain
--opening
--music
--direction
--action
--acting

I did think the 2016 had the better . . . (IMHO)
--cinematography, as it had more opportunities to expand its horizon.

And while Denzel Washington is no Yul Brynner, it is hard to believe this is Denzel's 1st western, as he does show what a good actor, and Denzel is a good actor, can do with a role.

Though . . .?! If I had it in my power, I have tossed out the script, and made this into an actual event, just to see how it might have played out in real life.

Still . . .?! I am glad I saw it, as if the trailers that preceded the film were any indication of what was upcoming, we are set for films that are . . .

(a) less realistic
(b) more mind boggling in a negative sense
(c) less interesting
(d) all of the above.
And the race is on to the bottom.

Next time: maybe Queen of Katwe. Though . . .?! It is not playing particularly in my area.

Mom liked it. That is good enough for me and she preferred it to the original.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #764 on: November 29, 2016, 08:29:41 AM »

Skiptrace with Jackie Chan and Johnny Knoxville.

I have absolutely no idea what they're trying to do here - blowing pigs up?  Buggedout - but I enjoyed it.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.