Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:45:41 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 615597 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #180 on: April 12, 2010, 04:38:15 PM »

Nicholas Spark's "The Last Song" w/ Miley Cyrus.

Obviously, not the greatest film ever made, but I found it interesting. Maybe because it is one of the few films I've seen, where I actually read the book, before seeing the film.
Thus, I found the changes between book and film interesting.

film: Georgia

Jonah wears glasses
book: Yes
film: No

Family has car
book: No
film: Yes

Items shoplifted
book: Music cds
film: jewelry

Mikey's death
book: six years previously
film: one year previously

And what I found most interesting. In the book there is no indication to the race of the Baptist preacher. He could be black, blue, or green for all I know. But, in the film he's played by a black actor. Thus, did casting say: "We need a black actor. Find the best black actor to play the part." or Did casting say: "Find the best actor to play the part." And the best actor just happened to be black.

That was the minor changes in the film. I also found the major changes made interesting.
Such as . . .

Simply the plot.
Simply the characters
Play down the religion in the book.
Play up the humor in the book.

All I guess to make the film more palpable for audiences.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2010, 03:43:35 PM »

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (2009): Complicated Swedish mystery/thriller involving a forty year old unsolved murder with more than thirty suspects, an investigative reporter who's been framed for libel, and a technogeek punkette who investigates the reporter for reasons of her own.  Satisfying puzzler where the detective is more interesting than the investigation; contains a rape/revenge subplot that some may find graphic and disturbing.  From a series of novels, intended as the start of a franchise. Worth seeing if you like dark detective stories.  4/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2010, 09:30:55 PM »

The Hurt Locker
Sherlock Holmes
Clash of the Titans - 3D
The Book of Eli
Kick Ass

I'm just loving the cinema these days.

Will be seeing Legion when it comes out.  Seriously, who can resist angels with guns?  TeddyR

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #183 on: April 19, 2010, 09:41:43 PM »

The Hurt Locker
Sherlock Holmes
Clash of the Titans - 3D
The Book of Eli
Kick Ass

Will be seeing Legion when it comes out.  Seriously, who can resist angels with guns?  TeddyR

I saw  Legion  and it was entertaining, but loads of different things could have been done better.   I'm not going to name specifics, but some parts weren't even cheesy fun, but rather just...  painful.

It's definitely worth a watch though! But only if you want a totally cheesy movie.

On a side note (months later I still can't get over this) I met the guy (Doug Jones) that plays the Ice Cream Man. Totally great guy.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Killer Bees

Never give up on love

« Reply #184 on: April 20, 2010, 12:33:46 AM »

The Hurt Locker
Sherlock Holmes
Clash of the Titans - 3D
The Book of Eli
Kick Ass

I love that guy!  How did you manage to meet him? 

I forgot to add I've seen Wolfman with Benicio Del Toro too
I saw  Legion  and it was entertaining, but loads of different things could have been done better.   I'm not going to name specifics, but some parts weren't even cheesy fun, but rather just...  painful.

It's definitely worth a watch though! But only if you want a totally cheesy movie.

On a side note (months later I still can't get over this) I met the guy (Doug Jones) that plays the Ice Cream Man. Totally great guy.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #185 on: April 20, 2010, 03:59:20 PM »

Killer Bees - I met Doug at a horror convention here in Maryland last September.  He was so friendly!  As soon as we said hello, he gave me a huge hug!

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #186 on: April 21, 2010, 01:07:40 PM »

KICK ASS: Nerdy kid decides to become a superhero, becomes a youtube and media sensation, then is drawn into more trouble than he can handle when he meets a father/daughter team of real masked vigilantes.  Teen wish-fulfillment fantasy with too much cheap "black comedy" violence; it loses whatever charm it had upon the introduction of a ten-year old foul-mouthed sadist.  It's also very Hollywood and very predictable.  I realize most here disagree with me on this one, but this was a disappointment.  2.5/5.

Jim H

« Reply #187 on: April 21, 2010, 01:42:39 PM »

KICK ASS: Nerdy kid decides to become a superhero, becomes a youtube and media sensation, then is drawn into more trouble than he can handle when he meets a father/daughter team of real masked vigilantes.  Teen wish-fulfillment fantasy with too much cheap "black comedy" violence; it loses whatever charm it had upon the introduction of a ten-year old foul-mouthed sadist.  It's also very Hollywood and very predictable.  I realize most here disagree with me on this one, but this was a disappointment.  2.5/5.

Yeah, it's interesting to note this.  I'm not going to get into details as it'd be spoilerific, but almost every major narrative change from the Kick-Ass comic for the film adaptation served to make the film more "Hollywoodish" and predictable.  I liked a lot of the non-structural changes in the film (like what Big Daddy is like, and the slight expansion of Kick-Ass's two friends), but felt the structural changes weren't as good.

Ok, I'll get into a couple spoilers...

***SPOILERS FOR COMIC AND THE FILM***

The most obvious difference is the love interest - Kick-Ass doesn't get her in the comic.  Which is a little more believable.  I felt the comic was overly cruel in the way this situation turns out for Kick-Ass, though.  Another major difference is Red Mist just appears - you know he's the son of a crime boss, but you don't know until the end that he's betraying Kick-Ass.  And, as you may guess, the ending is a lot less over-the-top, and Kick-Ass doesn't do much of anything in it (no jetpack).

***END***
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #188 on: April 21, 2010, 03:07:20 PM »

You don't even know how warm and fuzzy inside you have made me by disliking this movie.  Thumbup

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #189 on: April 21, 2010, 06:33:07 PM »

I'm happy to make you warm and fuzzy, Circus.  I was afraid everyone was falling over themselves so fast to praise this thing that I would be ostracized for not really liking it.

Jim H, although I never read the novel I noticed exactly the point you did about the romantic interest and thought it was badly handled and unbelievable.  Also, at another point the heroes look to be in a jam they can't possibly get out of, but anyone who's seen more than two or three movies knows exactly how they are going to be rescued, taking all of the supposed tension out of the scene.

Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #190 on: April 21, 2010, 06:37:38 PM »

I have not seen Kick Ass but I have now decided not to.  I was on the fence about seeing it.  It looked like it had the potential to be good but it seems like it's average, predictable, and annoying.

Killer Bees

Never give up on love

« Reply #191 on: April 22, 2010, 11:30:07 PM »

Killer Bees - I met Doug at a horror convention here in Maryland last September.  He was so friendly!  As soon as we said hello, he gave me a huge hug!
Okay, now I'm jealous!

He was great in Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer and the Hellboy movies.  It was the Hellboy movies that I became aware of him.

I can completely believe that he would be a wonderful man.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #192 on: May 04, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »

Ye-es.

"Oceans"

Disneynature's "Oceans"

One of those symbiotic films that benefit both parties. Disney gets a film it can show in theaters without spending the money to make it, and the filmmakers get a wider audience for their film and an additional revenue stream.

Several surprises.

I actually liked this film better than several of the films I've seen more recently in theaters. I found the excitement more exciting. The emotions more emoting.

And while I'm use to seeing the seabed as a colorful collection of coral formations, most seabeds are actually more mundane. Either totally sandy, totally rocky, totally weedy, or more than one and hardly that colorful.

And, apparently, part of the film was shot off the coastal waters of the state in which I currently live Texas.

And yes, there will be a film for Earth Day, April 22, 2011. "African Cats" (i.e. cheetahs and lions.)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2010, 12:09:11 PM »

I liked OCEANS even better than BoyScoutKevin.

OCEANS: Amazing documentary footage chronicling the vast variety marine life.  It's all about the images, and thanks to technological advances it's no exaggeration to say these are some of the most awe-inspiring, never-before-seen pictures captured in the history of cinema.  A scene where dive-bombing seagulls attack a school of sardines will likely go down as the best action sequence of 2010.  Needs to be seen on the big screen.  5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2010, 02:41:25 PM »

I had the choice of going to see a documentary for $3, or IRON MAN 2 for $6.  Screw you, Hollywood!

THE ART OF THE STEAL (2009): Documentary on the political infighting in the struggle to control the Barnes Foundation, a charitable trust that owns over $4 billion dollars in post-Impressionist masterpieces.  Surprisingly interesting (if one sided) tale of love of money triumphing over the love of art; how many movies will you ever see where the Pew Charitable Trust and the Philadelphia Museum of Art are the bad guys? 3.5/5. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:43:51 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.