Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:58:03 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 615787 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #210 on: June 06, 2010, 06:07:35 PM »

I just saw Splice.

Maybe it'd be better to let it sit for a while..  But as is, I thought it was a pretty good film with a bad ending. 

In brief: good acting (special mention to Delphine Marceau, who makes a very believable performance out of purely physical acting), some good writing, the film looks good.  Great effects work on Dren.  The basic, ah, "human" drama is generally good and believable.  The horror elements are actually fairly minor up until the last like 15 minutes, then they're amped up and the film kind of lost me.  To say more would get into heavy spoiler territory.  It wasn't HORRIBLY bad as an ending, just disappointing, and didn't feel like a natural transition (despite the earlier horror scenes suitably leading up to it) - pun intended.

7/10.  A good ending could have easily brought this to an 8. 

I think you're not alone in that opinion, Jim.  A number of reviewers seem to be complaining about the ending.  I still may see it.

I agree. I just got back from seeing Splice and was about to make a post on it.  But you covered a lot of what I was going to say.  It's really more of a Sci-Fi drama then the horror movie a lot of the advertisement is making it out to be.  Overall, I liked the film though.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #211 on: June 06, 2010, 06:09:53 PM »

In the same day I saw Splice I also saw Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.   It wasn't bad.  It was proclaimed by some to be the movie that lifts video game based movies into a higher standing.  While better then most, it was still a standard adventure film. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Jim H

« Reply #212 on: June 08, 2010, 01:44:19 AM »

I think Vincenzo Natalie may have problems with endings.  Cube suffered from a somewhat similar problem, though it was much, much worse in Cube (Cube's ending ruins the logic of the entire film). 

I don't recall having a problem with CUBE's ending.  I'll have to pay attention next time I watch it. 

Well, in brief

***SPOILERS***

They establish that the savant they have with them, helped by the math girl, is the only way to find which rooms are safe and the proper way to proceed through the proper numbers to the exit point.  They also establish that the cube periodically shifts rooms around, and (if I recall right) if they don't hurry to keep up it will be impossible to reach the exit in time (as it would take weeks to do it again).  They abandon the violent cop due to his murderous/rapist tendencies, and proceed through numerous rooms without him, and at one point the cube rooms shift when he's not with them - meaning it should now be IMPOSSIBLE for him to follow them at all, regardless of the math bits, since the exits wouldn't be lined up in trap free rooms anymore.

Only, when they reach the exit, he somehow catches up to them.  Meaning, he broke the logic of the cube somehow, and even if THAT wasn't true, he still got incredibly lucky and somehow simply guessed the correct exit each time (six in each room) many times in a row to successfully follow them.  Either way, it's completely ridiculous.

**END**

I think they should have just ended it with the three characters looking at the white outside the cube, and then cut to black.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #213 on: June 08, 2010, 10:49:10 AM »

I think Vincenzo Natalie may have problems with endings.  Cube suffered from a somewhat similar problem, though it was much, much worse in Cube (Cube's ending ruins the logic of the entire film).  

I don't recall having a problem with CUBE's ending.  I'll have to pay attention next time I watch it.  

Well, in brief

***SPOILERS***

They establish that the savant they have with them, helped by the math girl, is the only way to find which rooms are safe and the proper way to proceed through the proper numbers to the exit point.  They also establish that the cube periodically shifts rooms around, and (if I recall right) if they don't hurry to keep up it will be impossible to reach the exit in time (as it would take weeks to do it again).  They abandon the violent cop due to his murderous/rapist tendencies, and proceed through numerous rooms without him, and at one point the cube rooms shift when he's not with them - meaning it should now be IMPOSSIBLE for him to follow them at all, regardless of the math bits, since the exits wouldn't be lined up in trap free rooms anymore.

Only, when they reach the exit, he somehow catches up to them.  Meaning, he broke the logic of the cube somehow, and even if THAT wasn't true, he still got incredibly lucky and somehow simply guessed the correct exit each time (six in each room) many times in a row to successfully follow them.  Either way, it's completely ridiculous.

**END**

I think they should have just ended it with the three characters looking at the white outside the cube, and then cut to black.

I take it back; now that you refresh my memory I do recall being disappointed at the cop's reappearance.  I forgave that misstep because the rest of the movie was so good and original, however.

I was assuming you were referring to the very last shot... the shot of the "outside."
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:52:05 AM by Rev. Powell » Logged

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jim H

« Reply #214 on: June 08, 2010, 12:20:06 PM »

I take it back; now that you refresh my memory I do recall being disappointed at the cop's reappearance.  I forgave that misstep because the rest of the movie was so good and original, however.

Yeah, I don't think it destroyed the entire film, but unsatisfying endings really hurt the experience in a film like that.  Particularly when the characters and ideas are actually compelling, as in Cube.

While I do think some open/ambiguous endings are a bit irritating (sometimes I think they use them when they just can't think of an appropriate ending) otherwise I was OK with Cube's ending.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #215 on: June 08, 2010, 03:30:01 PM »

THE SECRET OF KELLS (2009): A young boy living in the monastery of Kells is caught in the clash between paganism and early Christianity in a story that involves pillaging Vikings, wood spirits, sleeping gods, and magical talismans.  An dreamlike fairytale with an amazing visual look, a cross between a children's storybook and the actual historical Book of Kells, with each frame of the film full of baroque detail, sometimes decorated with spinning geometric aemobae floating around the image.   Catch this one if you can; it's now my favorite movie of 2009.  5/5.       

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #216 on: June 08, 2010, 04:45:34 PM »

THE SECRET OF KELLS (2009): A young boy living in the monastery of Kells is caught in the clash between paganism and early Christianity in a story that involves pillaging Vikings, wood spirits, sleeping gods, and magical talismans.  An dreamlike fairytale with an amazing visual look, a cross between a children's storybook and the actual historical Book of Kells, with each frame of the film full of baroque detail, sometimes decorated with spinning geometric aemobae floating around the image.   Catch this one if you can; it's now my favorite movie of 2009.  5/5.       

I’m surprised I haven’t heard of it. My wife was born in Ireland and her father is quite the expert on Irish mythology and history. He is coming for a visit in a couple of days and it wouldn’t surprise me if he already knows about this film. My wife grew up in Irish dance and it’s pretty customary for their traditional dance costumes to have designs from the Book of Kells. I’ll have to check this one out. I love Brendon Gleeson.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #217 on: June 08, 2010, 05:10:53 PM »

I’m surprised I haven’t heard of it. My wife was born in Ireland and her father is quite the expert on Irish mythology and history. He is coming for a visit in a couple of days and it wouldn’t surprise me if he already knows about this film. My wife grew up in Irish dance and it’s pretty customary for their traditional dance costumes to have designs from the Book of Kells. I’ll have to check this one out. I love Brendon Gleeson.

It was nominated for the "Best Animated Feature" Academy Award last year, but had no shot to win considering it was a foreign film up against Disney and Pixar.

dean

« Reply #218 on: June 09, 2010, 05:25:10 AM »

Hey I had heard about Secret of Kells and really wanted to watch it at the time, but simply forgot about it!

Glad you reminded me: this is now at the top of my 'animated movies to watch' list!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #219 on: June 09, 2010, 05:34:30 PM »

"Prince of Persia"

Not the most intelligent action film I've ever seen, but with characters . . .

You think you can trust, but can't.
You think you can't trust, but can.
You think you can trust, but can't, but can

One of the most interesting action films I've seen.

It also helps that the almost non-stop action starts almost right from the beginning and seldom lets up from there.

And great axe work
great knife work
great spear work
great sword work
great whip work
and some great shooting.

This has more great weapons work than any two films.

And the individual combat between the knife throwing IkBaka vs. the bolt throwing Hassansin, has to be one of the best combat scenes between individuals I've ever seen in a film.

And that running up the walls and across the roofs. It's called Parkour. And some people not only consider it a stunt, but also a sport.

The only thing I found wrong it, with less reason, was like in "Robin Hood," I found the ending disappointing.

But still, a little bit more original than some of the films I've seen more recently. Some credible acting. And some great lines. I especially like the line refering to Sheik Amir, who talks too much. "My friend, has anyone ever told you that you talk too much." LOL!

Thus, as normal, I found it a better film that alot of critics make it out to be.
Jim H

« Reply #220 on: June 11, 2010, 02:10:36 PM »

Saw the A-Team.  It's enjoyable, goofy and sometimes crazy and ridiculous, but really, isn't that EXACTLY what an A-Team movie should be?

Best thing about the movie is definitely the lead characters.  They're all well-acted, work well together, and pretty well-written.  Biggest surprise is definitely Quinton Jackson as BA.  He's actually quite good, and there's more depth to the character than you'd expect.  His character is a little less outrageous than Mr. T's version, but really, ONLY Mr. T could play a character that over the top in his special way.  Sharlto Copley is hilarious, and it looks to me like he improvised a number of his funnier lines.  Audience loved him.  Liam Neeson was Liam Neeson, but that worked great for the character.  Bradley Cooper as Face is also just right.  

I also thought the origin story was good, and several of the set pieces are quite entertaining.  I really enjoyed the tank scene, which is just as ludicrous as it looked in the trailers.  But it was fun to watch.

But, this is not a perfect film.  Far from it.  It's biggest weakness is definitely the central plot and villains.  The one villain gets one great scene in a car as inexperienced CIA agents plot to kill him, but is otherwise completely unremarkable.  Another villain is just kind of dull, though his acting is OK.  The finale sequences is just not as good as the earlier stuff, and goes a little overboard in the amount of stuff going on (think Stephen Sommers and his love of CG).  And Murdock is not really given anything to do in the finale.

Still, it doesn't sink the whole movie or anything.  And I think it's impressive that an action-comedy movie with a "weak central plot and villains" is still as enjoyable as this one.

7/10.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #221 on: June 11, 2010, 02:55:32 PM »

Saw the A-Team.  It's enjoyable, goofy and sometimes crazy and ridiculous, but really, isn't that EXACTLY what an A-Team movie should be?

Best thing about the movie is definitely the lead characters.  They're all well-acted, work well together, and pretty well-written.  Biggest surprise is definitely Quinton Jackson as BA.  He's actually quite good, and there's more depth to the character than you'd expect.  His character is a little less outrageous than Mr. T's version, but really, ONLY Mr. T could play a character that over the top in his special way.  Sharlto Copley is hilarious, and it looks to me like he improvised a number of his funnier lines.  Audience loved him.  Liam Neeson was Liam Neeson, but that worked great for the character.  Bradley Cooper as Face is also just right. 

I also thought the origin story was good, and several of the set pieces are quite entertaining.  I really enjoyed the tank scene, which is just as ludicrous as it looked in the trailers.  But it was fun to watch.

But, this is not a perfect film.  Far from it.  It's biggest weakness is definitely the central plot and villains.  The one villain gets one great scene in a car as inexperienced CIA agents plot to kill him, but is otherwise completely unremarkable.  Another villain is just kind of dull, though his acting is OK.  The finale sequences is just not as good as the earlier stuff, and goes a little overboard in the amount of stuff going on (think Stephen Sommers and his love of CG).  And Murdock is not really given anything to do in the finale.

Still, it doesn't sink the whole movie or anything.  And I think it's impressive that an action-comedy movie with a "weak central plot and villains" is still as enjoyable as this one.

7/10.

My only question would be this: does Liam Neeson have a believeable American accent this time?

Jim H

« Reply #222 on: June 11, 2010, 08:31:18 PM »

Not really.  From what I recall of it, it's better than the one in Taken, but still doesn't sound right.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2010, 01:48:43 PM »

Not really.  From what I recall of it, it's better than the one in Taken, but still doesn't sound right.

That always cracks me up. Liam hiding his accent is not quite as bad as Arnie, but it's in the ballpark. Actually quite entertaining to watch him try.

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #224 on: June 21, 2010, 11:42:41 AM »

It's been a very long time since I actually posted anything in this topic, so I'm glad I finally have something to say now:

Shrek 4: Not as good as the first two films, but still better than 3.  I think if this was the final film of the series, I think it provided a decent finale.  I like the What If? story line in this movie and I really found it interesting about how we saw the insight into Fiona's past and how she was so sad and lonely.  I always figured she was sad, but I never knew it got that bad for her.

Toy Story 3: I already said everything I could in another topic about it, but my feelings remain the same.  This was a damn good movie and perfect way to end the series.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.