Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:19:55 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 615641 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #240 on: August 11, 2010, 10:46:10 AM »

JOAN RIVERS: A PIECE OF WORK: Like THE GREAT BUCK HOWARD with less plot, this documentary follows the geriatric workaholic through a year of working small nightclubs, celebrity roasts, and reality TV shows as she tries to get back into the public spotlight.  It only works because, even if you don't like Joan's jokes or even Joan herself, you find yourself pulling for her to succeed just because she's working so damn hard. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #241 on: August 15, 2010, 02:49:30 PM »

"Step Up 3-D"

From the title, the third one in the series, but the first in 3-D, and the first one I've seen. And after seeing this one, I don't know whether I'll go back and see the other two.

One of those films you only see for the dance routines.

As for the dance routines, WTF?! I didn't think it was humanly possible for a human to do some of the dance moves they did in the film.

As for it being in 3-D, the theater could charge me a premium of $2.50, use to be $2,00, over and above what they normally charge me for a movie ticket.

And as a sidenote, Justin Bieber will soon have his first concert film coming out sometime next year, and when the director originally scheudled to direct the film quit, the director of "Step Up 3-D" has stepped in to take over the directorial duties.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #242 on: August 17, 2010, 06:07:04 PM »

MICMACS: A homeless man with a bullet in his brain teams up with a group of misfits (a contortionist, a man who builds gadgets form scarp iron, a human cannonball) to set two arms dealers at war, YOJIMBO style.  There's a lot going on in this film---tributes to silent slapstick comedy, intricate scams and capers, quirky characters, fantasy interludes inside the main character's head---but it's missing a center; you end up admiring the scene stagings rather than rooting for the characters. Had high hopes because it's from Jean-Pierre Jeunet, who did AMELIE and before that made two great films with his former partner Marc Caro (DELICATESSAN and CITY OF LOST CHILDREN); this was a bit of a disappointment.  More laughs would have helped; it's not good to be in a nearly silent theater when you're watching a comedy.  2.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #243 on: August 23, 2010, 10:41:33 AM »

SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD: A bass player must defeat a girl's seven evil exes to win her heart.  Funny, anarchic, very entertaining; at times this seems like something the Monty Python gang might have come up with if they'd been raised on video games and graphic novels.  4/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #244 on: September 14, 2010, 04:35:04 PM »

RESTREPO: A mosaic of combat and camaraderie as the camera follows the members of an army company as they complete a 15 month tour in Korangal Valley, considered the most deadly post in the Afghanistan theater.  "Restrepo" refers to a fallen comrade and the outpost they build in his honor.  Objective and apolitical, frightening, heartbreaking: this is an impressive work of photojournalism, and the odds on favorite to win the 2010 Academy Award for Best Documentary.  A must see for fans of war films.  4.5/5. 

SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #245 on: September 14, 2010, 08:25:11 PM »

Just saw Machete and it was cheap night, but I totally would have paid full or even 3D price for this. Hilarious and action packed with gore galore! Could have done without Lohans character and Biels as well, but highly recommended!  Thumbup

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #246 on: September 22, 2010, 05:28:09 PM »

THE OTHER GUYS: Mark Wahlberg is a tough cop partnered up with police accountant Will Ferrel after an embarrassing accidental shooting; the mismatched pair get involved in a far reaching corporate crime conspiracy.  Decent, if ultimately forgettable cop-action parody with laughs and plenty of car chases; the best parts involve Samuel L. Jackson and Dwayne Johnson as a pair of super-cops the entire city idolizes.  3/5. 

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #247 on: September 28, 2010, 06:31:41 PM »

"You Again' w/ Jamie Lee Curtis, Sigourney Weaver, and Betty White.

A film about three generations of super competitive women and the men in their lives.

In the old days, this would be known as a women's film, but sometimes you have to watch a film you'd ordinarily not watch, only to see how the other half lives.

I don't know how true to life it was, not being a woman, but even if it is only a little bit true, women can be just as competitive as any man, especially when they get on the dance floor.

An enjoyable film.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #248 on: September 28, 2010, 07:00:27 PM »

LIFE DURING WARTIME:  I always wanted to see a Todd Solendz film but I never got around to it.  Here, I'm jumping in at the end, as there have been several characters running through his previous films, and I'm not familiar with how they were portrayed before or their backstories.  This one is described as a part sequel of his previous film HAPPINESS (new actors play the characters).

The interlaced story involves a boy about to be bar mitzvahed, his on-the-lam pedophile dad and pill-popping mom, her sister, who sees the ghost of a former lover who committed suicide and is married to a compulsive obscene phone caller, and many other sad nutcases.  It's often described as a black comedy, but although there's plenty of dry and absurd humor, I think it's more a searing philosophical drama about forgiveness.  3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #249 on: October 08, 2010, 12:29:43 PM »

THE SOCIAL NETWORK:  Antisocial prodigy Mark Zuckerberg invents a billion dollar website, but his arrogant, self-absorbed attitude and control-freak ambition makes him lots of enemies and costs him his few friends. Sharp, witty dialogue, crisp acting and echoes of CITIZEN KANE; Fincher made the best and most human movie possible about by complex intellectual property litigation and corporate stock shenanigans.  4.5/5.

Hammock Rider

« Reply #250 on: October 11, 2010, 03:48:54 PM »

IT'S KIND OF A FUNNY STORY:  A 16 year old kid is uder pressure and depressed and fearing that he will kill himself he checks himself into a psychiatric ward instead. There he meets some very wise mentally ill people as well as a very cute fellow troubled teen and realizes that life doesn't have to be so bad after all. It's a bit of a Hollywood-ized version of a pretty good book about the pressures of being a teen and the realization that life isn't really all cakes and ale.  Like most movies it trivialized the mentally ill a lil' bit, making them seem more quirky than afflicted, but it was meant a a comedy primarily so I gave it a pass.

The acting was pretty solid and Zach Galifinakis did a surprising job giving his zany character  a seldom seen but deep sadness. There is also asurprise musical number about half way through that should really clue you into the fact that this movie is more a comedy with heart than a drama with some funny.  I give it a solid B.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #251 on: October 11, 2010, 04:01:49 PM »

IT'S KIND OF A FUNNY STORY:  A 16 year old kid is uder pressure and depressed and fearing that he will kill himself he checks himself into a psychiatric ward instead. There he meets some very wise mentally ill people as well as a very cute fellow troubled teen and realizes that life doesn't have to be so bad after all. It's a bit of a Hollywood-ized version of a pretty good book about the pressures of being a teen and the realization that life isn't really all cakes and ale.  Like most movies it trivialized the mentally ill a lil' bit, making them seem more quirky than afflicted, but it was meant a a comedy primarily so I gave it a pass.

The acting was pretty solid and Zach Galifinakis did a surprising job giving his zany character  a seldom seen but deep sadness. There is also asurprise musical number about half way through that should really clue you into the fact that this movie is more a comedy with heart than a drama with some funny.  I give it a solid B.

I've been debating about whether or not to watch that at some point. My main worry is that it will end up unsatisfying and too typical, if that makes any sense. However, it looks like it will be surprisingly good, so someday I will watch it.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #252 on: October 13, 2010, 12:14:39 PM »

ANIMAL KINGDOM: When his mother overdoses on heroin, a quiet 17-year old boy moves in with his grandmother and four armed robber uncles and is drawn into a life of crime against his will.  Very solid, conventional gangster drama with excellent characters and performances and a good bit of suspense. Australian.  4/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #253 on: October 14, 2010, 07:07:27 PM »

"Secretariat" w/ Diane Lane, John Malkobich, James Cromwell, Fred Thompson (yes, that Fred Thompson), Scott Glenn, and the Dylans: Baker and Walsh.

It is debatable whether Secretariat was the greatest racehorse of all time, but he certainly was the greatest racehorse ever to race at Belmont. His winning time and the number of lengths by which he won still stand as records almost forty years later.

Horseracing's Triple Crown. They are not that common, but they do come around each decade, except between 1948, and 1973, when Secretariat won the Triple Crown by winning the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness, and the Belmont. Then surprisingly, we had two more Triple Crown winners in five years. Seattle Slew winning in 1977 and Affirmed in 1978. But then it's been 32 years since Affirmed won.

One does wonder why they decided to  make a film about Secretariat, instead of Seattle Slew, because I was living near Seattle at the time, and Seattle Slew winning was bigger news than Secretariat's win. But, it might be, because Secretariat's owner was a woman, and thus might appeal more to women.

I will say, she was portrayed as a "fighter," and that really impressed me.

And there was more thing about the film that impressed me, and that was how they used music in the film. If there is a difference between filmmakers of yesterday and filmmakers of today, it's that yesterday's filmmakers knew how to use music to enahnce a film, and today's filmmakers for the most part don't know how to use music to enhance a film. This was an exception to the rule. Of course, the filmmakers had it somewhat easy. Just use the music from the early '70's in the film. Whjich (IMHO) was the last good decade for music. There hasn't been a good decade since, and the next decade is shaping up to be no better.

And, oh yes. The film reminded me why I don't have children.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #254 on: October 14, 2010, 10:26:56 PM »

It is debatable whether Secretariat was the greatest racehorse of all time, but he certainly was the greatest racehorse ever to race at Belmont. His winning time and the number of lengths by which he won still stand as records almost forty years later.
Not too much debate going on on that one, though Man O War is a popular contender for that honour.   Wink

Quote from: BoyScoutKevin
One does wonder why they decided to  make a film about Secretariat, instead of Seattle Slew, because I was living near Seattle at the time, and Seattle Slew winning was bigger news than Secretariat's win. But, it might be, because Secretariat's owner was a woman, and thus might appeal more to women.
Seriously? That the owner was a woman was a big deal at the time (it would be ten years after the Triple Crown win before she would be one of the first women admitted to the Jockey Club); but the story also had a a good bit of interest and appeal aside from her gender.

I've heard from a good number of people (women!  TeddyR ) in racing that the movie was well done.  That the presentation and story overshadow any technical shortcomings.  That is saying a lot.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.