Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:20:45 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 615773 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #345 on: September 07, 2011, 09:03:18 AM »

TERRI: A high school principal takes an interest in a fat kid who goes to school in his pajamas.  At first it seems like it's going to follow a predictable plot arc, but in a twist the story just sort of peters out instead; great performances make up for it.  Still, in 2011's "wise-but-flawed-adult-mentors-troubled-teen" mini-genre, I'd recommend WIN WIN over this. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #346 on: September 23, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »

PROJECT NIM: Documentary about Nim, a chimp who was raised as a human, taught sign language, and then abandoned and shuffled around to a series of temporary homes, unsuited to fit into either the human or ape worlds.  Thought-provoking, and one of the most emotionally affecting movies of the year; fans of RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES owe it to themselves to check out this real-life version.  4.5/5/   

Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #347 on: September 23, 2011, 04:48:58 PM »

Drive: Very stylish.  That's the word for Drive.  It also has a great score, great acting, and a common but still good storyline.  The pacing and style is pretty arthouse-like, which is pretty interesting for a genre film like this.  Oh, and the violence is grotesque.  Think A History of Violence.  It's a beautiful film on a few levels...  But it's kind of hard to talk about or describe why.  Worth seeing in theatres.

9/10.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #348 on: September 28, 2011, 09:06:11 AM »

MONEYBALL: The real life story of how iconoclastic Oakland A's GM Billy Bean used geeky advanced statistical analysis to assemble a team of undervalued misfits who could challenge for the pennant on the A's miniscule budget.  A good anchoring performance by Brad Pitt and an unexpectedly funny script turn what could have been dry subject matter into very solid entertainment.  3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #349 on: October 05, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »

TABLOID: "What do cloned puppies have to do with kidnapped Mormons?," asks Joyce McKinney.  You'll find out in this documentary about the bizarre British tabloid sensation case in which the former beauty queen was accused of abducting a missionary, tying him up, and forcing him to have sex with her for three days.  It's a strange, funny and ultimately inconclusive story, told entirely through interviews.  The only downside is the suspicion that McKinney, who doesn't seem to be on speaking terms with reality, may be being exploited for her entertainment value once again, thirty years after the initial scandal.  3.5/5.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #350 on: October 10, 2011, 11:39:13 AM »

The Ides of March

Ryan Gosling plays an idealistic Junior Campaign Manager for a Democratic presidential candidate, played by George Clooney. At least, he is idealistic in comparison to the jaded and cynical world of modern politics, as he is fully aware of the stakes of the political big leagues and plays accordingly. Included in the cast are Philip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti, Marisa Tomei, Jeffrey Wright, and Evan Rachel Wood.

I was very, very impressed with this film. The writing was exceptional, the direction was superb, and  the performances were impressive by the entire cast. Usually when I exit a film, even of ones I really enjoyed, I find something about it that I either didn’t enjoy or could have been done better. Not so with this one. I couldn’t find a damn thing wrong with it. The scenarios and dialogue were so convincing that I bought everything about it, hook, line and sinker. Part of this is because it painted the exact picture of politics that I have known to be true for a long time. Politics is about playing a game in which the stakes are incredibly high, and even the most seemingly inconsequential choices are anything but.

The film doesn’t say anything new. The title alone is indication enough of that. But it carries the time-proven message that abolute power corrupts absolutely very well. It does this with the equally time-proven methods of quality writing, direction, and performance. While the film portrays Democratic candidates, the message is easily applicable to any major political race, and all but the most staunchly partisan viewer will fail to recognize that. If political drama is a part of your viewing regimen, this one is first rate.

4.8/5

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #351 on: October 12, 2011, 09:36:58 AM »

DRIVE: A stuntman who moonlights as a getaway driver goes on a heist that turns wrong, with bloody consequences.  Quiet Ryan Gosling is like the Man With No Name, but using a car instead of a gun; the pace is slowed down and quiet, with infrequent but intense bursts of violence.  Albert Brooks and Ron Perlman are very good as a pair of Jewish gangsters.  4/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #352 on: October 20, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »

50/50: A 27-year old man comes down with a rare type of cancer and is given a 50% chance to live.  Well-acted dramedy that jerks tears and chuckles in about equal amounts. 4/5.

BELLFLOWER: Two jobless, hard-drinking college-age kids struggle with relationships while they spend their free time building flamethrowers and post-apocalyptic cars out of their favorite film, MAD MAX.  They should be delusional nerds, but in fact they're awesome ladykillers.  Seriously, dude?  2/5.  Don't let the MAD MAX connection sucker you in; this is indie mumblecore drama at its most relentless.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #353 on: October 20, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »

DRIVE: A stuntman who moonlights as a getaway driver goes on a heist that turns wrong, with bloody consequences.  Quiet Ryan Gosling is like the Man With No Name, but using a car instead of a gun; the pace is slowed down and quiet, with infrequent but intense bursts of violence.  Albert Brooks and Ron Perlman are very good as a pair of Jewish gangsters.  4/5.

I haven't seen this film, but I heard some recent criticism in the media that there were some anti-semitic elements to it. I don't know if that means there were disparaging portrayals or depracating stereotypes or whatever. I'm just curious if you got anything like that from it. I'm don't particularly care either way, I'm just curious.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #354 on: October 20, 2011, 02:11:51 PM »

I haven't seen this film, but I heard some recent criticism in the media that there were some anti-semitic elements to it. I don't know if that means there were disparaging portrayals or depracating stereotypes or whatever. I'm just curious if you got anything like that from it. I'm don't particularly care either way, I'm just curious.

No, I didn't get any anti-Semitic vibe at all and the criticism seems silly.  Jews aren't usually portrayed as tough-guy gangsters, so I would say its hardly stereotyped.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #355 on: October 21, 2011, 12:41:36 AM »

No, I didn't get any anti-Semitic vibe at all and the criticism seems silly.  Jews aren't usually portrayed as tough-guy gangsters, so I would say its hardly stereotyped.

Okay. I thought it sounded silly. I was listening to the Adam Carolla podcast recently and that was one of the news stories they covered. They sort of glanced over it and didn't spend much time, so I never got much on what the fuss was about.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #356 on: October 26, 2011, 09:47:23 AM »

DETECTIVE DEE AND THE MYSTERY OF THE PHANTOM FLAME (2010): When court officials start spontaneously bursting into flames as her coronation approaches, Empress Wu suspects a conspiracy and hires the one man she believes can uncover it: Detective Dee, whom she imprisoned years ago for treason.  It's a mix of mystery, intrigue, fantasy, spectacle, and kung fu; what's not to like?  3.5/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #357 on: October 29, 2011, 05:22:50 PM »

"Real Steel" w/ Hugh Jackman.

A middling film, but with enough in it, that overall I liked it.

Maybe I should see more films, but I did think the script for this was one of the poorest I have ever come across.

On the other hand, I sound the film soundtrack was one of the best I have ever heard.

Thus, my favorite scenes were the ones sans dialogue, but just with the boy, his robot, and a musical background.

I have this strange idea that the first opening scene in a film should tell you something about what you'll see, but when the film opened, I actually thought I had walked into the wrong theater, and was watching a different film, then the one I paid to see. I didn't like the opening at all.

Also the climatic fight between Atom and Zeus should have, by rights, should have been the most exciting fight in the film, but there again the filmmakers (IMHO) screwed something up, for the second to last fight between Atom and Twin Cities (IMHO) came out being the most exciting fight in the film.

And unlike other films set in the future, and according to the script, this was set in 2020, little or nothing was done to make the audience believe it was set in the future.

Interestingly enough, or maybe not, but for a film that was supposedly set partly in Texas, none of it was filmed in Texas, but it sure looked like it was filmed in Texas. I need to get out more.

And, there were the normal amount of in-film ads, which I always like to look for in a film. I saw ads for Budweiser -- Cadillac -- Chase Bank -- Cocoa-Cola -- Espn -- Harvester International.

And yes, there is already a sequel planned for 2014.

The next film I plan on seeing is "Johnny English Reborn" w/ Rowan Atkinson. Hopefully, this Sunday. A sequel to "Johnny English," which I have already seen.

And before "Real Steel," I saw the trailer for Spielberg's "War Horse," which I also plan on seeing in December, even though the trailer made it out to be one of the most saccharine films I might ever see. Maybe I should read the book , upon which the film is based, first.

Till next time.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #358 on: November 02, 2011, 12:26:47 PM »

THE RUM DIARY: An alcoholic journalist goes to Puerto Rico and encounters unscrupulous real estate developers and bottomless mini-bars.  From Hunter S. Thompson's semi-autobiographical novel, with Johnny Depp again playing a (subdued) version of the gonzo journalist in a script with some decent set pieces that ultimately goes nowhere.  It should have been titled "Mild Concern and Dislike in San Juan."  2.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #359 on: November 11, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »

MARGIN CALL: 24 hours in the life of a financial firm (modeled on the Lehman Brothers) that panics when they discover research indicating that the risky mortgage-backed securities they've specialized in have become toxic.  Star power (Kevin Spacey, Jeremy Irons) and an emphasis on drama above details make this intelligently written movie probably the closest thing to a "financial thriller" we're likely to see.  3.5/5, though opinions will probably vary widely on this one thanks to the dry subject matter.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.