Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:29:55 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 615774 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #360 on: November 16, 2011, 12:37:44 PM »

MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE: A young woman flees a cult-like commune to stay at her sister's lakeside vacation home and finds it impossible to exorcise her demons and  adjust to normal life.  The abrupt ending is a let down but it's well-written and beautifully acted; with one role, Elizabeth Olsen has now accomplished more than her more famous twin sisters have in their entire careers. 4/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #361 on: November 19, 2011, 10:48:10 AM »

We watched TOWER HEIST last weekend.  Ben Stiller is funny, Alan Alda is a very hateable villain, and Eddie Murphy is actually quite funny for once, but I thought that Matthew Broderick stole the show as an unemployed Wall Street wizard.  This one is really quite good!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #362 on: November 19, 2011, 06:09:16 PM »

We saw PUSS IN BOOTS.   Very cute.  Antonio Banderos, once again as the voice of PUSS.   And Salma Hayek as the voice of his feline co-star, KITTY SOFT PAWS.  If you liked Shrek and Shrek II, you probably will like this one.

Hold onto your dreams ....
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #363 on: November 20, 2011, 11:14:22 AM »

MELANCHOLIA: News that an unknown planet (dubbed "Melancholia") may enter earth's orbit breaks on a depressed woman's wedding day.  A strange, sad, metaphorical movie with great performances by Kristen Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg that sees director Lars von Trier again drawing on his experiences with depression, but in a far less outlandish way than 2009's ANTICHRIST.  4/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #364 on: November 21, 2011, 10:58:49 AM »

(I'll be watching a bunch of wannabe awards nominee movies in the upcoming month, stuff that I probably wouldn't watch otherwise).

PARIAH:  A lesbian teenager in Brooklyn leads an uncomfortable double life, trying to hide her lifestyle from her conservative parents while struggling to find a suitable partner for her first sexual relationship.  Excellent acting salvages a well-intentioned but familiar script that occasionally drags.  3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #365 on: November 22, 2011, 05:16:16 PM »

THE IDES OF MARCH: A senior press secretary (Ryan Gosling) stumping for a Democratic party presidential candidate (Geroge Clooney) finds his ethics tested by dirty tricks and scandal. Ironically, the script becomes much more appealing when it leaves its apple-pie idealism behind and gets down to the thrilling business of mudslinging, betrayal and extortion.

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #366 on: November 22, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »

THE IDES OF MARCH: A senior press secretary (Ryan Gosling) stumping for a Democratic party presidential candidate (Geroge Clooney) finds his ethics tested by dirty tricks and scandal. Ironically, the script becomes much more appealing when it leaves its apple-pie idealism behind and gets down to the thrilling business of mudslinging, betrayal and extortion.

Well since there is no score, I'm amusing a 4 out of 5?

Interestingly enough, I heard the same thing about the movie as well.  Once it moves to the second half, the movie gets really good.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #367 on: November 22, 2011, 09:53:02 PM »

Interestingly enough, I heard the same thing about the movie as well.  Once it moves to the second half, the movie gets really good.

3.5/5.  Smile  You could go 4/5 if you have a real interest in the actors or in political thrillers in general. 

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #368 on: November 23, 2011, 01:25:58 PM »

3.5/5.  Smile  You could go 4/5 if you have a real interest in the actors or in political thrillers in general. 

SPOILER ALERT!

I really liked it. I think I gave it a 4.5/5. The second half was the more compelling, I agree, but I thought the apple pie idealism was an important part of the "loss of innocence" equation. I liked the ending because you don't know if he's going to play ball or if his intention is to let the cat out of the bag. The question remains to be answered: has he been corrupted, or has he retained his ethics and intends to blow the lid off.

I found it highly effective and engaging.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #369 on: November 25, 2011, 09:41:26 AM »

THE DESCENDANTS: Matt King (George Clooney), the trustee of a large parcel of land once owned by a royal Hawaiian ancestor, becomes the primary caretaker for his two bratty daughters when his wife goes into a coma.  A pleasant watch with a good balance of drama and comic relief; a winner for fans of Clooney, or Hawaiian scenery.  3.5/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #370 on: November 29, 2011, 06:19:01 PM »

"Johnny English Reborn" w/ Rowan Atkinson.

We'll start at the ending and work back towards the opening.

Or should I say endings. There seemed to have been three endings to the film. One in Switzerland, which I enjoyed. One in England, which I did not enjoy, as it only replayed what we had seen before. And one more in London, during the credits, which I also enjoyed.

Recently, I have been complaining about how films opened, but I rather enjoyed the opening for this films. Also . . .

The casting. Good. Especially the actors casted as the villains. Most film villains look like actors trying to pretend their villains. But the actors who played the villains in this one really did look villainous.

The cinematography. Good. I especially liked the shot of the jet taking off into the sunrise.

Locations. Good.

Music. Good.

Sets. Good.

Rowan Atkinson. Good. I was surprised how short he was, when he stood next to the other actors in the film, and his facial features are irregular, especially his nose, but you know what. He looked good. He looked good with a beard. He looked good without a beard. He looked good in a tux. A 3-piece suit. Golf togs. Coat and tie. He is one of the few actors I have seen who look good no matter what he wears. It must be the way he carries himself.

A sequel to "Johnny English." This is one of the few sequels I have seen which I actually thought was better than the original. And I hope they continue the series, but with a better script next time.

And the action sequences were a mixed bag.

Next time (hopefully): "The Muppets"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #371 on: November 30, 2011, 10:16:10 AM »

HUGO: An orphaned boy who tends the clocks at a Paris train station in the 1920s becomes the reluctant apprentice of a sour old magician with a secret past.  Pitched as a kids' picture, this beautiful-looking 3D movie about movies is really of more interest to adult cinephiles.  Includes the bonus short "A Trip to the Moon", in 3-D! 4.5/5.

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #372 on: December 01, 2011, 03:21:08 AM »

Jack and Jill - Pacino makes this Dunkin Donuts movie shill a hell of a lot better then it has any right to be, the stuff not involving him is really hit or miss with most of them missing badly

lots and lots of celebrity cameos

2/5 stars
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:24:02 AM by bob » Logged

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #373 on: December 01, 2011, 11:58:27 AM »

Jack and Jill - Pacino makes this Dunkin Donuts movie shill a hell of a lot better then it has any right to be, the stuff not involving him is really hit or miss with most of them missing badly

2/5 stars

Ah-ha!  I thought you go that.  The smell of crappy comedies lured you into one once more!

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #374 on: December 01, 2011, 05:30:23 PM »

2/5 stars

Ah-ha!  I thought you go that.  The smell of crappy comedies lured you into one once more!

I was actaully talked into watching it with a friend....one final note as bad as the movie is I think Pacino might deserve an Oscar nomination just for carrying this

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.