Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:27:34 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 615840 times)
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #390 on: December 31, 2011, 04:55:53 PM »

The Artist: Gimmicky, one-note, but cute fun.
2.5/5.

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #391 on: December 31, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »

THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN:  Boy reporter Tintin's discovery of a secret message hidden in a model ship sends him off on a globetrotting adventure with his dog snowy, a drunken sea captain, and a pair of bumbling twin Interpol agents.  Beautifully concocted mix of THE MALTESE FALCON and RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK containing the year's most thrilling action sequences; why in the world has it taken so long to bring this franchise-ready property to the big screen?  5/5.

Yes!  Glad to see others saw this.  That's what I thought when I saw the movie.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #392 on: December 31, 2011, 08:31:43 PM »

SHAME:  A sex addict finds his routine disrupted when his irresponsible and unstable sister comes to live with him.  Falls into the same trap as many "serious" movies about sex; it makes the surroundings dull, dreary and dour so that we can't enjoy the rutting scenes, or will feel guilty if we do.  But nothing in this sex addict's life looks authentically empty; his lifestyle actually looks like a lot of fun, and he'd probably enjoy it if the director would stop playing such depressing music during the threesomes.  2/5.

"Sorry, I'm from Wisconsin; is that the same as gettin' a lot?"   Wink

I still kind of want to see this though; the same director made HUNGER, which I loved.  But it looks like a rental (for a few reasons).

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #393 on: January 03, 2012, 03:13:06 PM »

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011):

This is the American version directed by David Fincher and starring Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara in the two main roles.

It's difficult to classify this as either a remake of the Swedish film or just the American adaptation of the novel. Both follow the book quite well. Because of this, it's hard to say whether the film borrowed extensively from the Swedish version or simply followed the novel on it's own terms. In my view, a film adaptation of the novel could only be done a certain way to be successful, and both versions did it, end of story.

I thought it was quite good, chilling and disturbing where it needed to be. The performances were carried off admirably. I actuall preferred Daniel Craig in the role of Blumkvist. The character was supposed to be a smooth operator who has bedded many women, to be in stark contrast to the character of Salander, making their short-term affair so striking and unlikely. I didn't think thing the actor in the Swedish version was able to carry that off as well as Craig did. Aside from that, it was similarly effective to the Swedish adaptation. Stellan Skarsgard was a standout as well, using his smooth presence to great effect.

A bit slow-paced, but then I don't mind that. I would gladly recommend it.

4.5/5

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #394 on: January 06, 2012, 11:53:56 AM »

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: GHOST PROTOCOL: Disowned by mission control and cut off from support, Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) leads his team from Moscow to Dubai to Mumbai to stop a terrorist intent on inciting a nuclear war.  Full of ridiculously magical techo-gadgets and thrilling set pieces; like James Bond, it's not ashamed to go ridiculous to achieve a suspenseful effect.  4/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #395 on: January 11, 2012, 10:37:07 AM »

This is the American version directed by David Fincher and starring Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara in the two main roles.

It's difficult to classify this as either a remake of the Swedish film or just the American adaptation of the novel. Both follow the book quite well. Because of this, it's hard to say whether the film borrowed extensively from the Swedish version or simply followed the novel on it's own terms. In my view, a film adaptation of the novel could only be done a certain way to be successful, and both versions did it, end of story.

I thought it was quite good, chilling and disturbing where it needed to be. The performances were carried off admirably. I actuall preferred Daniel Craig in the role of Blumkvist. The character was supposed to be a smooth operator who has bedded many women, to be in stark contrast to the character of Salander, making their short-term affair so striking and unlikely. I didn't think thing the actor in the Swedish version was able to carry that off as well as Craig did. Aside from that, it was similarly effective to the Swedish adaptation. Stellan Skarsgard was a standout as well, using his smooth presence to great effect.

4.5/5

My review:

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO: A disgraced journalist requires the help of an eccentric, antisocial and potentially dangerous computer prodigy to solve a decades old murder.  Does exactly what it was meant to do: provides American viewers who would never watch the original subtitled version a chance to see Stieg Larsson's bestselling novel on film.  A rare Hollywood remake that doesn't dumb things down for the audience; in fact, it even expands on the original by running longer (3 hours!) and extensively covering the epilogue of the novel, which was left out of the Swedish movie.  4/5.

One unusual complaint from me was the soundtrack---there were moments when it was way too prevalent, playing inappropriately tense music during simple exposition scenes.  It's an oxymoron: an intrusive ambient soundtrack.  The brilliant opening credits are typical Fincher, though they basically have nothing to do with the movie.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #396 on: January 17, 2012, 12:12:14 AM »

4.5/5

My review:

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO: A disgraced journalist requires the help of an eccentric, antisocial and potentially dangerous computer prodigy to solve a decades old murder.  Does exactly what it was meant to do: provides American viewers who would never watch the original subtitled version a chance to see Stieg Larsson's bestselling novel on film.  A rare Hollywood remake that doesn't dumb things down for the audience; in fact, it even expands on the original by running longer (3 hours!) and extensively covering the epilogue of the novel, which was left out of the Swedish movie.  4/5.

One unusual complaint from me was the soundtrack---there were moments when it was way too prevalent, playing inappropriately tense music during simple exposition scenes.  It's an oxymoron: an intrusive ambient soundtrack.  The brilliant opening credits are typical Fincher, though they basically have nothing to do with the movie.

That's wierd. Aside from the opening title sequence, I don't even remember the soundtrack. All I remember are the visuals and the performances. What's so wierd about that is that the soundtrack is usually one of the things I pay attention to. In this film, I barely noticed it.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #397 on: January 17, 2012, 11:11:51 AM »

4.5/5

My review:

That's wierd. Aside from the opening title sequence, I don't even remember the soundtrack. All I remember are the visuals and the performances. What's so wierd about that is that the soundtrack is usually one of the things I pay attention to. In this film, I barely noticed it.

In one of the early scenes, where the lawyer is interviewing Lisbeth for the first time, the "eerie" soundtrack was mixed way too high---it was a pure exposition scene and there wasn't any need for atmosphere.  It intruded on the conversation.  Thanks to that issue showing up so early, I paid attention to the soundtrack through the rest of the film, and it annoyed me.  If I hadn't noticed it early on I probably wouldn't have commented on it at all.  It certainly didn't ruin the film.

I wonder if it could have been something weird involving sound levels at the particular theater I saw it at?

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #398 on: January 17, 2012, 02:55:39 PM »

4.5/5

My review:

In one of the early scenes, where the lawyer is interviewing Lisbeth for the first time, the "eerie" soundtrack was mixed way too high---it was a pure exposition scene and there wasn't any need for atmosphere.  It intruded on the conversation.  Thanks to that issue showing up so early, I paid attention to the soundtrack through the rest of the film, and it annoyed me.  If I hadn't noticed it early on I probably wouldn't have commented on it at all.  It certainly didn't ruin the film.

I wonder if it could have been something weird involving sound levels at the particular theater I saw it at?

It might be. Something like you're talking about (and I remember the scene) is something I would have picked up on instantly and probably been annoyed with.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #399 on: January 18, 2012, 11:02:53 AM »

NY AFTERNOONS WITH MARGUERITTE: An oaf (Gerard Depardieu) forms an unlikely friendship with a 95-year old woman who sees the intelligence buried inside of him.  This sweet, literate character study will play well for it's target audience of little old ladies, but less well for its secondary audience of semi-literate lummoxes.  3/5.

Jim H

« Reply #400 on: January 22, 2012, 07:06:29 PM »

Underworld: Awakening - Weak sequel filled with plotholes and unlikable lead characters.  OK action scenes, gory and competently made.  4/10.

Hugo: Sweet, charming, funny, beautifully shot, and very rewarding film.  Will have extra punch for those familiar with early silent film work.  Great performances.  One of the best films of the year.  Just shy of a 10/10.  9/10 from me.

Haywire: Good action scenes, solid acting from a stellar supporting cast, though Gina is just a decent lead (doesn't have much to work with).  Soderberg's style seems a poor fit for action film-making to me - everything is flat, blandly lit, and unamped.  That is, he seems to deliberately drain every scene of energy in his films, which is the opposite of what you want in an action film.  It's still worth a watch though.  6/10.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #401 on: February 01, 2012, 09:42:30 AM »

A DANGEROUS METHOD:  Carl Jung struggles with his relationship with surrogate father figure Sigmund Freud, and gets drawn into a sexual relationship with a masochistic patient.  Supposed to give us the juicy details of psychoanalysts' sex lives, but the story is surprisingly dry, and maybe even repressed.  Worth a watch if you have an interest in the subject matter.  3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #402 on: February 17, 2012, 10:17:32 AM »

PUSS IN BOOTS: Caught this on its last day at the second-run theater. A swashbuckling kitty teams up with an egg to steal magic beans from notorious criminals Jack and Jill. This is good children's entertainment that got swallowed up min 2011 in a sea of great children's entertainment; it's thrilling but not as thrilling as TINTIN, adventurous but not as adventurous as RANGO, cute but not as cute as THE MUPPETS.  3/5.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #403 on: February 17, 2012, 11:36:51 AM »

A DANGEROUS METHOD:  Carl Jung struggles with his relationship with surrogate father figure Sigmund Freud, and gets drawn into a sexual relationship with a masochistic patient.  Supposed to give us the juicy details of psychoanalysts' sex lives, but the story is surprisingly dry, and maybe even repressed.  Worth a watch if you have an interest in the subject matter.  3/5.

I have been interested in this film mainly because it's David Cronenberg. I really liked A History of Violence. Some found Eastern Promises a little dry and over-slow, although I still liked it a good deal. How would you compare A Dangerous Method to Eastern Promises in that regard?

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #404 on: February 17, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »

I have been interested in this film mainly because it's David Cronenberg. I really liked A History of Violence. Some found Eastern Promises a little dry and over-slow, although I still liked it a good deal. How would you compare A Dangerous Method to Eastern Promises in that regard?

I haven't seen EASTERN PROMISES, but I would say DANGEROUS METHOD is nothing like the other Cronenberg's I've seen.  It's a straight historical drama. Frankly, any director could have made it.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.