Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:35:06 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 614063 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #405 on: February 22, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »

PINA: Wim Wenders tribute to avant-garde choreographer Pina Baush (who unexpectedly died during filming); it features elaborate 3-D stagings of her abstract dances interspersed with tributes from members of her company. I'm not sure this labor of love will do for the esoteric field of modern dance what BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB did for Cuban music, but it's impossible to come away unimpressed by the grace, dedication and creativity of the dancers. 4.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #406 on: March 03, 2012, 03:13:40 PM »

The animated "The Secret World of Arrietty" w/ the vocal talents of Bridget Mendler, David Henrie, and Carol Burnett.

Originally in Japanese, it was re-dubbed into English using people Americans might know.

There is another English version using people the English might know, which I have not seen.

And it is good to see, or in this case hear, Burnett. She's been in show business longer than most of us have been alive.

As always the strength lies in the animation. Just beautiful animation from Studio Ghibli.

If there is a weakness, then it is in the story. Though based on the famous children's novel "The Borrowers" by Mary Norton. It is a book I never had any interest in reading. Though, this version of the story is suppose to be better than the previous live action version with John Goodman.

And, as always, I noticed how westernized this film is. There is little to indicate that it takes place and was made in the East. Some of the decorations. The use of chopsticks in the home. The eastern writing on the truck. But that's about it.

I did notice that the most eastern-looking character in the film is the villainess. And that she is a member of the lower classes. Not only her position in the film, but also in her appearance.

I also noted how few characters appear in the film. Only 10 or 4 Borrowers and 6 Beans. And some of those characters are quite minor to the story.

Last year at this time, I had seen several films. But a year that began well, ended badly. I only saw one film after Halloween. Thus, a year which began well for films, ended badly. Hopefully, this year which begins badly weill end well.

Next time: Hopefully, "John Carter of Mars."
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #407 on: March 03, 2012, 09:56:58 PM »

The animated "The Secret World of Arrietty" w/ the vocal talents of Bridget Mendler, David Henrie, and Carol Burnett.

Dammit, you saw that film?  Man, I wish it was playing around my area.  I so want to see this film!  I love Studio Ghilibi and their films.  If only it was in my area...

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #408 on: March 16, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »

BULLHEAD (2011): A hypermasculine, steroid-shooting bull of a man seeks revenge for a boyhood wrong amidst the Belgian agrarian hormone trading underground. A well-plotted crime drama with a twist that makes you feel a strange sympathy for its intensely frightening protagonist. 4/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #409 on: March 19, 2012, 04:40:32 PM »

Dammit, you saw that film?  Man, I wish it was playing around my area.  I so want to see this film!  I love Studio Ghilibi and their films.  If only it was in my area...

Yes, but I seem to have gotten lucky. It sounds like it was a limited release film, and those seldom, if ever come to the area in which I live. It is worth seeing, if only for the animation, which being from Studio Ghilibi, is always lovely.
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #410 on: March 20, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »

John Carter (2012) - A civil war vet is transported to Mars during the middle of a civil war.  He may hold to key to turn the tide of the battle.  A basic and cliche, but classic sci-fi tale wrapped in pretty visuals and decent acting.  Not much to say since I already said what everything I thought about in another topic.  It is a 3.5 out of 5.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #411 on: March 21, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »

21 JUMP STREET (2012):  Two mismatched loser cops---a jock and a nerd---go undercover to infiltrate a high school drug-smuggling ring, and find their social statuses reversed from when they were students a mere 7 years ago. Dumb, vulgar and obvious, with scattered chuckles; it's acceptable-ish entertainment. I have to concede that the audience I saw it with dissolved in laughter at gags that seemed predictable and left me stone faced. Maybe this is a comedic masterpiece if your sense of humor peaked in high school? 2/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #412 on: March 29, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »

THE HUNGER GAMES (2012): In a future dystopia a poor teenage huntress is forced to fight in a televised tournament to the death.  It's no BATTLE ROYALE, but it's not as "tween-y" as it might have been; as a role model, deadeye Katniss kills starry-eyed Bella. The movie is entertaining and draws you in with the novel setting and the inherent drama of the tournament format, while at the same time plot missteps keep reminding you how much better it could have been. 3/5.

InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #413 on: March 31, 2012, 08:59:53 PM »

THE HUNGER GAMES (2012): In a future dystopia a poor teenage huntress is forced to fight in a televised tournament to the death.  It's no BATTLE ROYALE, but it's not as "tween-y" as it might have been; as a role model, deadeye Katniss kills starry-eyed Bella. The movie is entertaining and draws you in with the novel setting and the inherent drama of the tournament format, while at the same time plot missteps keep reminding you how much better it could have been. 3/5.

Apparently the book does a better job at getting its themes and messages across, while also having a few surprises that could have made this movie really twisted.  For example, there is something about those dogs that is really distrubing.

Anyhow, I've seen some movies myself...

21 Jump Street: A sort of parody comedy of the original series that loves to make fun of itself and other cop shows & movies within itself.  The comedy is hit and miss, with a really stinker at the end and laugh out one in the middle.  There's not much to say about this one other than that though.  Worth a watch, but prehaps wait for this come out on DVD.  I say its a 3.5 out of 5.

The Secret World of Arriety: A tiny family lives beneath a house and lives off the small things that they can 'borrow' from the people that live there.  Based of The Borrowers series, this Studio Ghibli is a very slow pace one, but presents us a sweet story and amazing visuals that we can take in.  Very melancholy but it works.  Probably best film I've seen that came out this year and I highly recommend this one.  I give a 4.75 out of 5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #414 on: April 06, 2012, 10:43:02 AM »

THE FORGIVENESS OF BLOOD (2011): An Albanian family is imprisoned in their home in accordance with ancient oral law (the "Kanun") after a killing sparks a blood feud with a rival clan. The Kanun itself, a strange rural anachronism in an age of cell phones and video games, is by far the most compelling character in this exotic but slow-moving drama. 3/5.   

Vik
« Reply #415 on: April 10, 2012, 01:23:54 PM »

John Carter
Loved it. One of the most fun theatre experiences I have had in recent times. Too bad there's apparently not going to be a sequel, despite the fact that the issue with the Therns was left unresolved. Though I wish there was a 2D screening. The 3D wasn't really bad or anything but it didn't bring anything to the mix either. 4/5
Vik
« Reply #416 on: April 12, 2012, 11:32:28 AM »

The Hunger Games
I wasn't particularly excited about this one but I enjoyed it a lot. The first half was slow but necessary for the second half to be effective, which was genuinely suspenseful at times and had some awesome scenes. My main complaint (besides obnoxious teenagers in the theatre) is the shaky cam that drove me nuts at times. Either way, I'm looking forward to the sequel and might check out the books. 4/5
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #417 on: April 13, 2012, 04:01:06 PM »

THE SECRET WORLD OF ARIETTY (2010/2012-English dub): A sickly boy makes friends with one of the two-inch tall "borrowers" who live underneath the floors and live by foraging for crumbs in human households. Very solid adaptation of a minor children's classic; should delight kids and nostalgic adults. 4/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #418 on: April 20, 2012, 10:47:11 AM »

JURI DREAMS OF SUSHI (2011): Documentary profiling 85-year old master sushi chef Jiro Ono, a perfectionist who's almost more sushi-making machine than man. It's more interesting than a sushi documentary has any right to be, but it's essentially a well-made adaptation of one of those articles you'd read in the "Lifestyles" section of the Sunday paper. 3/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #419 on: April 24, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »

The documentary "Chimpanzee"

What you see reinforces what you know.
1. Man is not the only one to use tools.
2. Chimps will kill and eat other monkeys.
3. Some males will display maternal behavior.
4. Man apes ape behavior. When you are playing, do not disturb any adults that are napping.

Even chimps born domestically are poor house pets.
1. They can grow into big bruisers.
2. Something that can break a rock, the size of your head, in half, is not something to mess with.

You could do a documentary on the people doing the documentary.
!. They traveled by truck till the paved roads quit. Then they traveled by four wheel drive till the roads quit. Then they hiked for miles. lugging in everything they needed, to their base camp.
2. A minute of usable footage is considered a good day's work.
3. The dry season may have been bad, but the rainy season was worst. Having the only dry spot for miles around, the base camp attracted spiders, as big as your fist, centipedes as long as your forearm, armies of army ants, but the worst were the vipers. Get bit by that, and you died, as you couldn't be evacuated fast enough to a medical center.

This is the fourth year in a row, that a documentary like this has been shown about the time of Earth Day. And each year a portion of the box office has gone to someone working to protect the enviroment. This year the money went to Jane Goodall.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.