Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:11:22 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 614049 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #450 on: September 19, 2012, 06:39:09 PM »

I went and saw "Raiders of the Lost Ark" this past Saturday at a local theater who got their hands on one of the restored prints that AMC theaters had been showing for a little while. It's still my favorite movie of all time and getting to see it on the big screen again 31 years later was just too cool. 

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #451 on: September 25, 2012, 10:30:29 PM »

The Master-This is one of those times when I'm happy to live in Toronto. Not only did I get to see the film before the rest of canada but I got to see the 70mm presentation which was incredible. The clarity of the image was astounding and it is a true shame that more filmmakers don't take advantage of this incredible medium (this is the first film shot entirely in 70mm in 16 years). So if you can get a chance to see it in its proper format do it, because who knows when or if we are going to see another example of great 70mm film making.

As for the film, well first one must talk about the acting. Hoffman and Phoenix deliver career topping roles that are on  every level astounding. As good as Day Lewis was in "There Will be Blood" (Paul Anderson's previous film) he does not hold a candle to Phoenix's transformation here. His character is a lost soul, a desperate alcoholic wandering, not knowing where he belongs. Hoffman who usually portrays insecure characters is a picture of confidence and charm and we fully believe that he could start a religion. The interaction between these two is some of the finest moments in film that I can recall. Phoenix will win an oscar for this.

I'm not going to get into plot, but will just say that despite great performances this is not an easy film to watch. There is little emotional resonance and the plot doesn't move along as much as it drags. However this is the kind of film that only becomes a masterpiece in retrospective. There are no easy answers, no heroes or villains, no moment of catharsis. Yet looking back (its only been a couple hours) I find so much to digest in this film. This is no simple anti Scientology movie and those looking for that will be unsatisfied. This is not even a film about religion as much as it is about the human condition in general.  We all want answers and purpose in our lives but sometimes they seem nonexistent. What Hoffman offers to Phoenix is love, home, and a cause. While we may disagree with his methods, is this not what we all want?

A masterpiece 10/10
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #452 on: September 26, 2012, 10:21:25 AM »

I, too, just saw THE MASTER.

THE MASTER: Failing to fit in to society after returning from the war, a libidinous alcoholic sailor falls under the spell of a charismatic cult leader (blatantly modeled on L. Ron Hubbard). Powerhouse performances by a seedy Joaquin Phoenix and a seductive Phillip Seymour Hoffman anchor this thought-provoking, sometimes confounding study of the human search for meaning that ultimately concludes that a depraved freedom is preferable to a sick salvation. 4.5/5.

I don't know if Phoenix will win the Oscar but he'll definitely be nominated, and as of today he would get my vote.

A slight warning: some people may find the narrative here too convoluted and disorienting to follow. At my screening an older couple walked out of the movie halfway through.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 02:55:20 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ChaosTheory

« Reply #453 on: September 26, 2012, 12:40:11 PM »

ARRRGHHH!! I wanna see THE MASTER so bad!  Sometimes I hate living in  a flyover zone!! (Lucky me though, my town still managed to get 2016  Lookingup  )

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #454 on: October 10, 2012, 05:02:53 PM »

And in honor of Halloween . . .
Tim Burton's "Frankenweenie"

The thing in these homage films, and these is definitely a homage film,  is to pick out all the homages, and this one is chockful of horror homages. There are at least a baker's dozen, and that's only the ones I recognized. There are probably several I missed.

"Frankenstein," of course.
There is a character named Van Helsing as in "Dracula's" Van Helsing.
Another character sounds like Peter Lorre and is named Edgar as in Edgar Allan Poe.
A pet is named Shelley as in Mary Shelley, authoress of "Frankenstein."
There is a film clip of Chris Lee as Dracula in "Horror of Dracula."
Sometime horror actor Martin Landau provides one of the voices.
The two white stripes in the poodle's bouffant hairdo. "Bride of Frankenstein"
The invisible goldfish. "The Invisible Man."
The scene at the fairground. "The Mummy"
The shadows on the wall. "Nosferatu."
Shelley. Almost every Japanese monster film ever made.
And while not a horror film, the movie marquee pays homage to Disney's "Bambi."

I must also mention Danny Elfman's score for the film. It really enhances the film's mood, and is probably the best score he has ever done.

The only thing I couldn't figure out is what is the time frame for the film? The acknowledgement that Pluto is no longer a planet dates the film to the last decade, but the cars and interior design in the film dates the film to the late '50's and/or the early '60's.

A fun film.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #455 on: October 17, 2012, 08:38:19 PM »

SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS: A screenwriter working on a script titled "Seven Psychopaths" finds himself involved with real psychopaths when his crazy friend draws him into a dognapping scheme gone wrong. With a hip masculine cast (Colin Farrel, Sam Rockwell, Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson, Tom Waits), brisk violence, and a couple of Tarantino-esque exchanges that become immediate classics, this is a very good movie that always seems just about to turn into a great one, but never quite gets over the hump. Still worth a look for fans of crime comedies. 4/5.

fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #456 on: October 23, 2012, 11:45:55 PM »

Argo-The latest from Ben Affleck has been getting some incredible critic hype. Having loved Gone Baby Gone plus the incredible reviews I had high expectations going in. It's a terrific film, one of the best films this year. The most satisfying third act in a film that I have seen in years.
4.5/5 Thumbup
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #457 on: October 24, 2012, 11:15:16 AM »

fulci keeps watching the same movies as me, only he gets there one day before I do.

ARGO: Based on actual events, this thriller documents the tale of six U.S. diplomats who escaped the 1979 Iranian hostage crisis by pretending to be a movie crew scouting locations for a fake sci-fi extravaganza. Solid, tense thriller; after watching the last half hour, you'll never complain you had a tough time going through airport security again. 4/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #458 on: November 14, 2012, 12:37:59 PM »

CHICKEN WITH PLUMS [POULET AUX PRUNES]: In 1950s Tehran, a master musician decides to go to bed to die after his beloved violin breaks and he can't find a replacement; his life story is told in flashbacks and dream sequences featuring appearances by Socrates, the Angel of Death, and a giant Sophia Loren. An exotic and elegant fantasy drama that strikes an unique tone of despondent whimsy; beautiful, romantic stuff. My favorite movie of 2012 so far. From the makers of PERSEPOLIS (this one includes a brief animated sequence). 5/5.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:43:43 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #459 on: November 17, 2012, 05:06:56 PM »

I saw two this past month:

Wreck-It Ralph: Ralph is the villian for an old arcade game and he's fed up with being the bad guy and everyone else in his game looking down on him.  Wanting to prove himself a hero, he jumps to a different game to win a medal.  However, after getting it, he finds himself running into something bigger in another arcade game.  I can't explain more, but I do really like this movie.  It was a lot of fun, the jokes were great (though video game references to older games may go over some young audiences), the animation was top-notch, and it had really good voice acting.  I find the movie a bit predictable and Sarah Silverman's character will possibly annoy people (I'm immune to annoying characters personally) for the bad parts.  Still highly recommend to video game fans and parents with kids.  4 out of 5.

Also, there was a short before it called The Paper.  I won't say much about it but dear god, it was so beautiful!  Some of the best CGI animation I've ever seen and a lot of heart to it.  I would be shocked if this wasn't nominated for Best Animated Short.

Flight: After a horrible plane crash, the captain finds himself in a jam.  While he is praised for being a hero and saving almost every single person abroad, the investigation starts suggesting that there was something else going on.  The captain, who was drunk and high at the time, knows he didn't cause the crash (Act of God and mechincal failure), but he still might land himself in a load of trouble as his life starts spiraling out of control.  It's a character piece, something I don't often go to see in theaters for, and it's a damn good one.  Like Wreck It Ralph, I found some portions predictable, but the rest was still pretty solid.  The highlight of course is the acting where Denzel Washington really brings the emotion and drama of this broken character to life.  I would give it a 4.5 out of 5.

Also, this movie probably had one of the most nailbiting scenes this year with the plane crash scene.  I was seriously on the edge of my seat the entire time, horrified for the conclusion that would be coming.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #460 on: November 26, 2012, 01:27:25 PM »

THE SESSIONS: A polio victim (and poet) in an iron lung hires a sex surrogate to help him lose his virginity. John Hawkes projects all the sexual charisma of a man in an iron lung, which is great acting but makes the emotionally manipulative plot hard to swallow. It might have worked better if he hadn't been portrayed as being such an AWFUL poet. 3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #461 on: December 21, 2012, 10:17:20 AM »

THIS IS 40: A couple entering the dreaded 40s struggles with finances, mooching inlaws, and trying to find time for sex when the kids are banging on the door in this "sort of sequel" featuring the secondary characters from KNOCKED UP. Solidly scripted domestic comedy with laughs emerging naturally out of flawed characters. 3.5/5. Oddly enough, this is the first Judd Apatow movie I've seen.

A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« Reply #462 on: December 22, 2012, 10:17:12 AM »

The Dark Night Rises-Caught this is IMAX this evening. This film amplifies the best and worst qualities of Christopher Nolan. Visually this is a stunning achievement, the IMAX shot action scenes are among the most terrific I have ever seen. The soundtrack by Hans Zimmer features prominently and is fantastic. Anne Hathaway makes for a terrific cat woman, and Bale is good as usual.

Now for the bad parts, of which there are quite a few. Firstly the screenplay is ridiculous, packed full of cliches and endless speeches. Characters rarely interact instead they mostly just show up places and make ridiculous monologues. Considering they spent 250 million on this you would think they would have done a couple more rewrites as some of the dialogue is frankly embarrassing.

I really disliked Bane and felt his voice while decipherable was annoying and he rarely says anything interesting in his constant monologues. Either making him speak less or giving him a voice that is actually menacing instead of cartoonish would be better decisions IMO. For me he was the worst part of the movie and its a shame considering how talented Tom Hardy is.

Despite these problems and others I would still suggest catching it in IMAX. The sheer scope of this film is startling and it has a surprising amount of emotional resonance despite plot problems throughout. I will say that it gets better as it goes on with the finale being especially powerful.

I agree with most of this. I didn't get into the Bane character like I did with previous villains like Joker, Scarecrow and 'Al Ghul. It was ok, and the ending saved it from me totally hating it, but I'm not picking up the BR/DVD.

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
ChaosTheory

« Reply #463 on: December 31, 2012, 01:46:01 PM »

DJANGO UNCHAINED - made With The Generous Cooperation of Franco Nero.  TeddyR
Small | Large

Loved this, from start to finish.  It was gory, hilarious and surprisingly romantic.  The movie's biggest strength is in the cast though - Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington - and Don Johnson, of all people - are perfect.  There's also an against-type turn from Samuel L. Jackson and a nice handful of spaghetti western cameos.
(And incidentally, there's a  big difference between being a movie set in a racist world and actually being a racist movie.)
10/10

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #464 on: January 03, 2013, 12:39:09 AM »

Django Unchained:

I really enjoyed this movie.  I liked it a lot, but I wouldn't say I loved it.  Being a huge spaghetti western fan as well as someone who likes Tarantino movies, this one should have been knocked right out of the ballpark where I am concerned, but it wasn't quite the home run I was expecting.  This was nowhere near as good for me as Kill Bill 1 and 2, or Inglourious Basterds.

Tarantino has made very good use of tunes he has lifted from spaghetti western soundtracks in the past, but in Django unchained the great pieces he chose were not used to nearly as good an effect.  The mood of the scenes just didn't match the recycled score as well as he has managed to do in the past, and it just seemed like he put the songs in because they were cool, without much thought to how they fit into the film.  Maybe it was time to get Ennio Morricone or one of the other great Italian maestros from the spaghetti western era to write a brand new score.

DiCaprio and Don Johnson were great.  They really nailed the typical spaghetti western villain roles they played.  Kudos to them.  In fact all of the actors were very good in this film, except Tarantino himself, but I always cringe when I see him act.  You'd think he would be better at it by now. BounceGiggle

There were parts of the movie where I thought the violence was purely gratuitous and lacked the stylistic touches the great spaghetti western directors were known for.  There were other parts where I thought this movie really hit the mark in that regard.  So I would say it was a mixed bag stylistically.  If I were to rank this movie among the 100 or so real spaghetti westerns I have seen, I would probably put it somewhere just below the middle of the pack.

Though I found the film to be quite enjoyable overall, it was nowhere near as good as any of the Sergio Corbucci (the director of the first Django movie) spaghetti western movies I have seen, and it is not a movie I would buy on DVD, because I would much rather spend my time watching one of those Corbucci flicks or any of the other spaghetti westerns in my collection.   
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.