Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:43:50 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 614085 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #495 on: June 16, 2013, 11:59:23 AM »

THE RAMBLER: A nameless man is released from prison and hitchhikes across the West heading for a job at his brother's ranch, meeting a mummy-collecting professor who records people's dreams on VHS tape and other insane weirdos along the way. This is going to be marketed as a horror movie but you should go in looking at it as a black comedy; it's got the twisted humor of your sickest nightmares. 3.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #496 on: June 19, 2013, 11:03:16 AM »

BEFORE MIDNIGHT (2013): In their third feature film in 18 years, Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and Celine (Julie Delphy) continue to discuss their relationship, now as middle-aged parents vacationing in Greece. The movie is like sitting down with a smart, classy couple for cocktail conversation, then spying on them as they go back to their hotel room and fight. It's not my kind of thing, but it is an actor's showcase, and I see why people admire it. 3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #497 on: June 26, 2013, 09:37:07 AM »

THIS IS THE END: When the Apocalypse occurs, no one at James Franco's housewarming party is raptured, and the surviving actors must find a way to make it through Judgement Day without getting on each others' nerves. It has entertaining moments, but the idea of Hollywood celebrities falling over themselves to score cameos in a movie that's whole point is to depict Hollywood celebrities as dimwitted, self-absorbed, shallow cowards strikes me as pretty damn smug. Additional half-star off for some of the most shameless in-movie advertisements you'll ever see. 2.5/5.

BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #498 on: July 03, 2013, 02:13:18 PM »

Pixar's animated "Monsters University," or, as I like to call it "Monsters' U."

Typical product from Pixar
--humor
--great action
--emotional resonance

But, what makes this atypical from Pixar and most animated product is its . . .
--realism

It is probably the most realistic look at college life, that I have seen, since "Paper Chase." And having spent more years in coillege than I care to remember, it is alot more fun to watch than "Paper Chase."

And add . . .

two of the funniest cameos I have ever seen in an animated film.
One of the greatest animated villainesses I have ever seen.
--her appearance
--her cold demeanor
--her controlled voice.
One has to go back 50, 60, 70 years to find someone as good. And her appearance tops those, as those had to look human.
And one final punchline after the credits. So, stay to the end.

Makes this well worth watching (IMHO)

As for the short subject before the film . . .
"The Blue Umbrella"
One may not care much for the story, but that's why Pixar is the best. They are seldom willing to rest on their laurels, but are always pushing the boundaries of what is possible.

As for the trailers  before the film . . .
Disney's "Frozen"
This may not say much for the film, but the trailer was one of the most cleverly scripted trailers I've ever seen. Just when you thought you knew where the trailer was going, someone would throw in a curve. Hopefully, the film's script is as clever.

Next time: "Yi! Yo! And Away! 'The Lone Ranger'"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #499 on: July 10, 2013, 10:27:48 AM »

IRON MAN 3: Iron Man fights a terrorist, bio-engineered super-mutants and panic attacks in this third entry in the franchise. Robert Downey Jr.'s gleefully narcissistic portrayal of Tony Stark has made IRON MAN the most watchable of Marvel's onscreen superheros, and this entry doesn't disappoint on the blockbuster level with over-the-top action sequences and plenty of sarcastic putdowns and quips from the misanthropic Stark. Ben Kingsley is a treat. As a sidenote, this is the movie's first week in the second run theater and it was absolutely packed on a Tuesday afternoon. 3.5/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #500 on: July 12, 2013, 04:58:29 PM »

"The Lone Ranger"

I have the feeling that alot of people who dislike this, just don't get it. They don't get the time. They don't get the place. Of course, that goes for alot of films set in the past. I, on the other hand, get it. Maybe because I have always had more empathy for fictional characters set in the past then those set in the present.

Or, maybe it is because . . .

If one can overlook the blunders of both history and geography in the film, from attitudes expressed to guns drawn, it is a fairly realistic look at that time and place.

Or, maybe it is because . . .

It is just one of those films, that the more I think about it, the better it becomes. With surprisingly good . . .
--acting
--directing
--writing

And a fair amount of humor that got more laughs out of the adults in the audience than the kids.

But, the 3 best reasons to see it.

(1) One of Johnny Depp's best performances, as he steadily walks the tightrope between overdoing it and underdoing it. And not to take anything away from Jay Silverheels, but this is the best Tonto yet.

(2) The greatest train chase in film of all the film train chases.

(3) The greates piece of music ever written or most likely will ever be written. "THE WILLIAM TELL OVERTURE."

Next time: Unless something else comes up between now and then "Planes."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #501 on: July 17, 2013, 08:51:06 AM »

DESPICABLE ME 2: Now retired, supervillian Gru is recruited by the Anti-Villain league to infiltrate a mall where one of the merchants is plotting to take over the world; he's simultaneously annoyed by and secretly attracted to Lucy, his gung ho assigned partner. Good kid flick with an entertaining villain and lots of slapstick from the little yellow Minions. 3.5/5.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #502 on: July 17, 2013, 09:54:26 AM »

THE LONE RANGER (2013) - I loved this film!  Well-acted, beautifully shot, with excellent casting and lots of action.  I'll admit, in the final chase when the William Tell Overture kicked in, I wanted to stand up and cheer!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #503 on: July 26, 2013, 09:25:14 AM »

SIGHTSEERS: A dowdy and desperate dog psychologist goes on a holiday in the English countryside with her new boyfriend, and soon notices that people who annoy him turn up dead. It has the tone of a black comedy, but the laughs are extremely subtle; it ends up like a British working class version of BADLANDS, with more relationship talk. 3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #504 on: July 28, 2013, 11:07:14 AM »

FRUITVALE STATION: On New Years Eve, Oscar makes a resolution to quit dealing drugs, but ironically has a fatal run in with the police. Based on a true story, this is earnest and moving filmmaking, as guileless as its protagonist. 3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #505 on: August 07, 2013, 09:17:05 AM »

THE HUNT: A small Danish town turns on a formerly beloved kindergarten teacher when he is wrongly accused of molesting his best friend's daughter. Depressingly believable blood-boiler. 3.5/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #506 on: August 17, 2013, 12:21:24 PM »

There we are.

The animated "Planes" with an international voice cast and my highest recommendation. The best film about prop driven planes since "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" from 1965.

As foreign box office becomes more and more important to American films, we are going to see more and more American filmmakers trying to appeal to film fans in foreign countries.
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #507 on: August 22, 2013, 06:04:31 AM »

SIGHTSEERS: A dowdy and desperate dog psychologist goes on a holiday in the English countryside with her new boyfriend, and soon notices that people who annoy him turn up dead. It has the tone of a black comedy, but the laughs are extremely subtle; it ends up like a British working class version of BADLANDS, with more relationship talk. 3/5.

I saw this the other day too  and really enjoyed it. I thought it was very funny and I wasn't expecting some of the deaths to be that grisly.

crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #508 on: August 22, 2013, 06:38:58 AM »

Alpha Papa

I am a big BIG fan of Alan Partridge, but this was just dull. I laughed probably twice.

Such a shame

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #509 on: August 22, 2013, 08:35:52 PM »

Smurfs 2, at a drive in.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.