Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:38:14 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 615806 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #600 on: November 12, 2014, 10:08:45 AM »

BIRDMAN: Aging star Riggan Thomas, who became a superstar by playing the superhero Birdman in the 1990s, writes, directs and stars in a Broadway show in an attempt to be taken seriously as an artist; unfortunately, he's simultaneously battling against the voices in his head, as his old alter-ego presses him to sign up to do "Birdman 4." There are no visible edits in the film (although it's not done in one take). It's Hollywood navel-gazing and soul-searching, sure, but the result is the best Hollywood can offer: it's unpredictable, bold, and unapologetic, with a completely committed cast and crew acting at their collective peak.  4.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #601 on: November 19, 2014, 09:49:02 AM »

WHIPLASH (2014): A talented young jazz drummer comes under the tutelage of an abusive, slave-driving music professor. J.K. Simmons makes R. Lee Ermey look like a p***y. Hand him the Best Supporting Actor statuette now. 4.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #602 on: November 20, 2014, 10:36:55 AM »

THE BABADOOK (2014): A widowed single mother deals with her troubled son, who's terrified of a storybook monster-in-the-closet called the Babadook; but is the thing really after the boy, or the mother? Intelligent Australian psychological horror---ultimately, more intelligent than horrific. I saw it in a preview; I think this is going into limited release next week. 3.5/5

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #603 on: November 23, 2014, 12:44:23 PM »

GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT: The Iranian town of "Bad City" is so sparsely inhabited it only has one little boy, one junkie, one prostitute, one vice lord... and one vampire. With no real plot to speak of, GIRL is a bit of a tease, but the exotic originality is irresistibly seductive. 4/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #604 on: November 24, 2014, 10:10:56 AM »

It's that time of year when I watch a lot of screeners in preparation for awards season.

LIFE ITSELF: The life story of popular film critic Roger Ebert; much of the footage is from his final days, showing him dealing with cancer and the removal of his jaw with surprising optimism. Like Ebert himself, it's hard to dislike. A crowd-pleaser and a noble eulogy. 3.5/5.

BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #605 on: November 24, 2014, 05:17:05 PM »

10 Big Reasons to See "Big Hero 6"

01. Academy Award
If this film does not win the Academy Award for Best Animated Film of 2014, there is no justice in the world. It is not only the best animated film of the year, so far, it is likely to remain the best animated film for the rest of the year.

02. The Action
A car chase that leaves most other car chases in the dust. Some of the greatest action scenes, as here, are not in your live action films, but in your animated films, as you can do in animation, what you do here, that you cannot do in live action, because it is impossible or it is too dangerous.

03. The Box Office
I seldom pay any attention to box office, as quantity of money earned is seldom any indication of quality of film seen. But, this film is already one of the top 20 grossing films at the American box office of 2014.

04. The Emotional Resonance
More so in this film, then in most films.

05. End Credits
How long has man been making films? Twice as long is probably needed to get audiences to stay to the end of the credits, but stay to the end of this one, and you see one of the great film tributes to one of the greatest legends in comic books.

And Disney has taken a leaf from Pixar and at the end of the credits to list all the babies born, during the time the film was made, to the people working on the film.

06. Feast
Studios are still making full length animated films, but few of them are still making animated short subjects. Disney/Pixar is one of the few. And in this one, watch for the scene where the man is wearing a DTV tee-shirt. That ought bring back memories for those who remember watching DTV on TV.

07. Humor
There are funnier animated films out there, but they are funny because they go for the cheap joke. Disney/Pixar may be not as funny as some, but they go for something smarter, more intelligent. And there are some parts of the film that are just hysterical, and from the laughter from the audience there is humor that appeals to both kids and parents.

08.Sequel
Seldom has there been a film that deserves a sequel more than this one, if they can come up with a script for it.

09. Twist
There is one of the greatest twists in the history of films in the film.

10. Miscellaneous
a. Everything you see in the film is already out there, or is theoretically possible in the near future.

b. Fred tells us how he is able to change his underpants once a week. What a piker. We ought to introduce him to our expert in not changing his underpants. Our very own Trevor. Take a bow, Trevor. A man who has not changed his underpants, since the day he put on his 1st pair of long pants.

c. Typical "sound and fury signifying nothing" at imdb.com for this this film. I'm getting too old to read all that s***! The people who post that s@@@! are they really that stupid, or do they just enjoy pretending to be that stupid? The 1st is worrisome. The 2nd is beyond comprehension.

d. And this film is meant to appeal not to the powerful, but to the powerless: weight challenged women, male nerds, kids. They may not be as powerful as the powerful, but there is more of them.

Next time: "Into the Woods" Walt Disney Studios probably has earned more money, unadjusted for inflation, for its films, but it has never won an Oscar for Best Film. It has been nominated, but it has never won. That may change this year. After some controversy about changes to Sondheim's Broadway musical, which Sondheim approved, the film is getting a lot of positive buzz.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #606 on: November 24, 2014, 10:00:44 PM »

01. Academy Award
If this film does not win the Academy Award for Best Animated Film of 2014, there is no justice in the world. It is not only the best animated film of the year, so far, it is likely to remain the best animated film for the rest of the year.

You didn't like THE LEGO MOVIE? It's considered the frontrunner. I haven't seen BIG HERO 6 yet but I consider LEGO hard to beat.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #607 on: November 28, 2014, 09:54:06 AM »

MAIDAN (2014): Journalistic footage of the Ukrainian Maidan protests of 2013-2014 as they progress from peaceful demonstrations to riots, presented in the raw with minimal editorializing or context. This is obviously significant historical footage that puts you in the middle of the action even as the tear-gas canisters fly; the downside is that the almost unedited nature of the footage makes the film often a chore to watch, especially during the peaceful first 45 minutes. 3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #608 on: November 29, 2014, 02:20:19 PM »

NIGHTCRAWLER: An ambitious petty thief starts his own business shooting tasteless footage of crime and accident victims and selling it the bottom-ranked local L.A. television station. Local TV-news vultures are too easy of a target, but watch for Jake Gyllenhal's wild-eyed portrait of an amoral, autistic entrepreneur fond of quoting platitudes from an online business course. 4/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #609 on: November 29, 2014, 04:49:18 PM »

01. Academy Award

You didn't like THE LEGO MOVIE? It's considered the frontrunner. I haven't seen BIG HERO 6 yet but I consider LEGO hard to beat.

Yeah, "Lego." I never had any interest in seeing it, so I never saw it, so it slipped my mind, but I do know a lot of people liked it, including some who post on this board.
"Big Hero 6" vs. "Lego." The race as to who wins, just got very interesting.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #610 on: November 30, 2014, 12:03:23 PM »

THE FRAME (2014): The (literally) separate realities of a thief and a paramedic intersect. Some interesting ideas in Jamin Winan's professional-looking budget indie made in Denver, Colorado; the allegory doesn't grab you like his fantastical debut INK, but it does suggest that movie's cult success wasn't entirely a fluke. 3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #611 on: December 03, 2014, 12:34:41 PM »

LISTEN UP PHILIP (2014): An insufferable, self-absorbed young novelist (Jason Schwartzman) comes under the tutelage of an insufferable, self-absorbed older novelist (Jonathan Price) while alienating all the women in his life. No one does smarmy and superior better than Schwartzman, and this is the role he has been waiting years to play: he's the kid from RUSHMORE grown up and spoiled by success. 3.5/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #612 on: January 06, 2015, 12:24:16 PM »

Ye-es!

"Into the Woods"
A film adaptation of the Sondheim Broadway musical based upon 4 fairy stories: "Cinderella," "Jack in the Beanstalk," "Little Red Riding Hood," and "Rapunzel."

I thought the high point was the adaptation of the stories. Probably the most faithfully, which we'll get to later, stories I have seen to date.

Cinderella
For dramatic reasons, most film adaptations reduce the ball to one night, but it actually lasted 3 nights, as here in the film.

White bread. Most people are getting tired of seeing an all-white version of the story, so you are finding more actors of color being cast into roles for the film.

Jack in the Beanstalk
What do you do with someone who is trying to kill you, but for whom you feel a great deal of sympathy?

Never before have I felt such, as I felt for the size challenged people in this film.

Little Red Riding Hood
How you hold it, separates the experts from the non-experts. I always like to see how a person holds a knife in a film. Most experts hold it underhanded, while most non-experts, like the baker, hold it overhanded.

Rapunzel
A nice piece of business that. Making the prince here, the little bro of the prince in Cinderella.

As in the original story, the prince was blinded by a hedge of thorns, and regained his sight, only when Rapunzel's tears fell upon his now blinded eyes. For in fiction, only the greatest gain comes with the greatest pain.

There are several versions as to how the witch found out that Rapunzel had another visitor to the tower, and it shows how fairy tales were once more adult than they are now. "Mother," Rapunzel says, being the naïf that she is, "why am I getting so fat, and why do my dresses no longer fit me?" It looks like Rapunzel and the prince were doing something more than talking when they were together.

The low point, if there was any, were the endings. I liked the 1st ending far better, as it seemed more like a fairy tale ending, while the 2nd ending seemed more like a modern day ending.

Still, the film was enjoyable enough, and I think any faults in it, were due more to the source material from the play, then anything the filmmakers did to adapt the musical into a film.

But . . . a true test of any film for me, is whether it inspires me to think of other things, and we'll get to those other things later, as I have now ran out of time.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #613 on: January 06, 2015, 01:01:23 PM »

As I said in my last post, this one did inspire me to think of other things, such as shoes, ships, sealing wax, and . . .

If this film and the other Company films that I saw the trailers for, before this film, were placed on an I.Q. chart with the trailers for the non-Company films that I saw, before this film, the Company films would be higher on the chart. Not that it means that they will make money, or the other films won't make money, but they did seem to be coming from a place that was more intelligent.

The symbiotic relationship between the Company and the U.K. has  been good for the British film industry. This film was shot in the U.K. The upcoming "Star Wars" film was partially shot in the U.K. Some of the Avengers films were and will be shot in the U.K. And "Galavant" the TV series on ABC was shot in the U.K.

Looking at the two youngest stars in this film, you realize that the Company has an edge, [Hell! the edge! It has a lock on casting of younger actors and actresses.] Which is all to the good. For when the present phase in the Marvel film universe ends about 2020, we are likely to get some combination of . . .

Asgardians before they were adults
Avengers' Academy
New Warriors
Runaways
Young Avengers,
etc.

The "Siege?"

As Steve Rogers scrapes [to hell with the bottom of the barrel. They are now scraping the wooden floor beneath the barrel.] up an army of Superheroes--half of whom are boys and girls who are not yet out of their teens, and whom the youngest is only 10 years old--to come to the rescue of Asgard, which is under siege by another army of Superheroes lead by Norman Osborne.

And what do you do with the kids once you get them there? Throw them at The Hood and his friends. At odds of 10 to 15 against. Throw in a couple of adults on the kids' side, and the kids actually have a chance of winning. Because they have a number of things going for them. Light vs. Heavy. Speed vs. Ponderous. But what is more, a likely underestimation of the kids' fighting abilities. You'd probably fall down and injure yourself laughing upon thinking about a 10-year-old's fighting ability, but then the kid has won. Of course, silly is easy enough to do, but how do you do serious, which is what the film calls for, and is the true test of filmmaking.

Who would you cast? A fun exercise, but one I seldom play, except for this once.

If they were casting the film today,
and if I had any say in the casting,
then cast . . .

August Maturo or Augie Maturo,
who plays Auggie Matthews in
"Girl Meets World" on the Disney Channel,
as the 10-year-old. He even looks a little like the
10-year-old in the comic book.

Next time: 01/23 "Strange Magic" from the mind of George Lucas. Well, we know where that is going. Till then . . .?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #614 on: January 14, 2015, 09:55:33 AM »

INHERENT VICE (2014): In 1970 San Francisco, weed-connoisseur and P.I. "Doc" Sportello investigates several converging cases that lead to a syndicate called "the Golden Fang," who are either heroin importers or a tax dodge for dentists. P.T. Anderson's adaptation of Thomas Pynchon's inherently confusing novel is the new masterpiece of hippie noir, riding, and eventually snorting up, that fine line between rationality and irrationality where universal paranoia holds sway. 4.5/5 (I am strongly considering upgrading this to 5/5 but I need to see it again).

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.