Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:01:35 AM
713403 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 615844 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #615 on: January 15, 2015, 12:08:08 AM »

The Hobbit: Battle of the five armies

Alright, I'm going to say it: the action was nice, the scene with Sauron and Smaug were awesome but the rest was so rubbish I just really hated it.  Something about the emptiness of 90% of the dialogue just really grated me.  How many times do we need to hear someone say 'they're bred for war'.  Come on guys, we know they're going to lose.  No need to pump it up so much, only to have these war-bred orcs beaten by a bunch of fishermen.

Sorry Peter Jackson, but this was the weakest one yet.  Like I said the action was fun, so I suppose it's lucky there was a fair chunk of the movie devoted to it, and despite me rolling my eyes every five minutes, it never was boring.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #616 on: January 15, 2015, 07:28:13 PM »

The Hobbit: Battle of the five armies

Alright, I'm going to say it: the action was nice, the scene with Sauron and Smaug were awesome but the rest was so rubbish I just really hated it.  Something about the emptiness of 90% of the dialogue just really grated me.  How many times do we need to hear someone say 'they're bred for war'.  Come on guys, we know they're going to lose.  No need to pump it up so much, only to have these war-bred orcs beaten by a bunch of fishermen.

Sorry Peter Jackson, but this was the weakest one yet.  Like I said the action was fun, so I suppose it's lucky there was a fair chunk of the movie devoted to it, and despite me rolling my eyes every five minutes, it never was boring.

But, even with the last film in "The Hobbit" series, we are not thru with Jackson and Tolkien.

As for myself, while I do not expect a word-for-word retelling, since book and film are two different media, I do expect a better retelling of Middle Earth, then what we are getting from Jackson. Actually, I find the whole telling of the story of Middle Earth by Jackson so unbearable, that after the 2nd film in the "Lord of the Ring" series I absolutely refuse to watch anymore and thus save my money. Still . . .?! What do I know . . .?! The films have so far been so successful, that the rumor mill has it that there will be more films based on Middle Earth in that time period that lies between the end of "The Hobbit" and the beginning of "The Lord of the Rings."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #617 on: January 23, 2015, 11:36:41 AM »

PADDINGTON: A talking bear with a gift for accidental comic mischief searches for a family to adopt him in London. No surprises, but this British live-action teddy bear feature seems more innocent and less smart-alecky than American kids' movies, and makes for a nice change of pace. 4/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #618 on: January 23, 2015, 02:15:42 PM »

Sadly, the battle could have been plausible. The heavily armored dwarves with pikes could have formed a line, with the elves and humans lending archery support from fortified or otherwise protected positions. That's pretty much what happened in the book, and it worked well until orcs got onto the mountain behind the human and elven positions. The battle as described in the book would have worked exquisitely for dramatic fight scenes, but PJ had to go and make it all goofy and ridiculous.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #619 on: February 02, 2015, 09:52:46 AM »

STRANGE MAGIC (2015): Fairies vie for possession of a magical love potion leading to comic romantic complications in a plot adapted from "Midsummer Night's Dream," but with hit pop songs added. The animation is nice and older folks may like it, but what little girl who loves fairy princesses wants to see them doing karaoke numbers to songs their grandparents used to make out to? True story: in the theater I saw it at, one little girl yelled "finally!" when the end credits ran and then loudly declared "I never want to see that again"! 2/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #620 on: February 06, 2015, 09:59:14 AM »

BLACK SEA: A down-on-their-luck crew of Brits and Russians refurbish a Soviet U-Boat to go on a hunt for sunken Nazi gold. Good old-fashioned testosterone-under-pressure movie. 3.5/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #621 on: February 08, 2015, 02:36:41 PM »

Ye-es!

Apparently, I liked it better than the Rev. Powell.

"Strange Magic" an animated film featuring the vocal talents of Alan Cumming and Rachel Evan Ward.

"From the mind of George Lucas."
Well, that explains a lot.

Underappreciated
I think there was a lot in it to raise it to a level greater than some people give it for being. It is your more highly regarded films and TV shows like "Broad church," that I think are overrated.

The animation
The style of it is not something I think I've ever seen before. Maybe because much of the animation was done in Thailand.

The humor
There was a surprising amount of humor in it that the adults in my audience appreciated.

Hopefully . . .
"Guardians of the Galaxy" has started a . . .
music trend in movies, where we hear more . . .
Oldies and Moldies being used as . . .
background music in a movie scene.
For seldom have . . .

Can't Help Falling in Love -- C'mon Marianne -- I'll Never Fall in Love Again -- Love is Strange -- Strange Magic -- Tell Him -- and Wild Thing

sounded better than they did here.

"I Should Have Seen That Coming"
The story was surprisingly not that straight forward. There were a number of twists and turns in it, that hindsight being 20/20, I should have seen coming in retrospect.

After the end credits
When will audiences learn to stay to the end of the credits, as here, there is often a surprise at the end.

Next time: McFarland USA
Or Disney's and Kevin Costner's reach out to a growing Latino audience.

Either that or "Seventh Son." Which ever one comes first to a cinema near me.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #622 on: February 08, 2015, 04:30:50 PM »

BSK: it seemed aimed more at nostalgic adults than kids. Part of the reason for my low rating is that the kids in the audience actually seemed to hate it---and it is technically a kids' movie.

dean

« Reply #623 on: February 10, 2015, 08:13:48 AM »

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night:

Hipster Iranian vampire film. Probably the best description I can give it...

Small | Large

I really enjoyed this film. Lots of hip music, sparse quiet acting and style out the wazoo. This paired with Only Lovers Left Alive would be a great double header.

Not much really happens, but it's nice to watch a vampire films that's understated rather than over the top. I've read the feminist undertones were unintended but setting a female vampire in an Iranian environment and having her protect women is a pretty big coincidence. Works very well as the lead actress, despite not having many lines, has a fantastic presence.

Can't really explain it better. Great sound design made the brief moments of horror much punchier than I expected. If you want a film with a punchy story this isn't it, but I enjoyed it a ton.

4/5

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #624 on: February 11, 2015, 10:04:49 AM »

/\ That pretty much matches my thoughts about GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT, Dean. /\

2014 ACADEMY AWARD NOMINATED SHORTS: I look forward going to these every year. Honestly, this year's lineup is weaker than last year's. I hate to give another award to Disney, but I think the sentimental "Feast" (which screened before BIG HERO 6)  is clearly going to be the winner in a weak field. Most notable was Bill Plympton's "Footprints," (not nominated for an Oscar), about a man who wakes to find footprints by his door and tracks them, believing he's chasing a monster. This one was weird enough to keep the audience murmuring in confusion throughout. Catch it if you can. 3.5/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #625 on: February 13, 2015, 03:10:50 PM »

Finally, I got to see "Seventh Son." One of the few films I knew I wanted to see this year. And with that comes the understanding of sorts of why it's not high on most people's lists of good films. Though, there are some good features to it, which we'll get to later.

The bad
The acting, which ranges from passable to terrible.

When an actor turns in a bad performance, who is to blame.

(a) the actor
(b) the cinematographer
(c) the director
(d) the editor
(e) the writer
(f) all of the above
(g) none of the above

Though, in this case I decline to blame the actors, having seen them better in better films.

The writing which is as bad as the acting. Even though it is based--apparently--on a book by Joseph Delaney, which I have not read. Which may be to the good, as the book is suppose to be far superior to the film.

Both are so bad, that the scene of the witch in the village reminds me of that similar scene in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." Yet this is suppose to be a serious film, while that was a comedy.

The mixed
If the music was surprisingly good, then the action scenes were surprisingly bad.

These films always have an old time vibe, except for some of the SFX, which is new. Yet the SFX had mixed results for me. For example, at the end, two sisters fight it out for the daughter of one and the niece of the other. With the mother fighting to save the girl, and the aunt fighting to kill the girl, and they fight as dragons, but I wonder if the scene would not have worked as well, if the two ladies kept their human form and fought it out that way.

The good. And there was some good in it.
As always, the scenery was magnificent.

Till someone invents a time machine, this is probably as near as we will get to what life was like in the Middle Ages. Where, even in the best of times, life could be brutal.

Whether the audience knew it or not, the film does raise a number of interesting questions about . . .
treachery -- tolerance -- loyalty -- love -- loneliness -- and conflict.

The film that I thought came nearest to this one was the previous "Hansel and Gretel : Witch Hunters," which I thought in most ways was the superior film.

As where Tusk in this one, and Edward in that one play the same role, as the faithful retainer, Edward comes off as the superior creation.

As where this one made a greater effort to differentiate the witches, it did not really matter that much, as they were still hard to tell apart.

But, where the other exceeds this one, is in the group dynamic of the witch hunters. There 5 then 4. Here 3 or so.

Both films earned more or are earning more at the overseas box office, then here at home. We should be getting a sequel to "Hansel and Gretel : Witch Hunters" sometime in 2016, which I am looking forward to seeing next year, but it is unlikely there will be a sequel to his one. Even though, if by chance it happens, I'd probably see it. I am just such a sucker for old time fantasy films.

Next time: Unless something intervenes, then "McFarland USA."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #626 on: February 18, 2015, 09:18:36 AM »

THE SPONGEBOB MOVIE: SPONGE OUT OF WATER: The popular kids' cartoon gets its first feature, mixing 2D animation, 3D animation and live footage. The irrepressible Spongebob teams up with an old enemy to recover the stolen recipe for Krabby Patties. Starts out like a big-screen TV episode, but as it goes on it accumulates enough surreal zaniness (especially once the space dolphin shows up) to make it worthwhile. 3/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #627 on: February 18, 2015, 05:42:16 PM »

BSK: it seemed aimed more at nostalgic adults than kids. Part of the reason for my low rating is that the kids in the audience actually seemed to hate it---and it is technically a kids' movie.

A family film, but one that adults seem to enjoy more than the kids in the audience, when I saw it.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #628 on: February 25, 2015, 09:49:06 AM »

KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE: A working-class boy is recruited into a secret British crimefighting organization run by snooty blue-bloods; meanwhile, his mentor is following up clues on the disappearance of celebrities that all point to an eccentric billionaire. Generally a fun romp in the James Bond mold, although some headachingly-edited scenes of gruesome carnage and a bad-taste ending break the campy spell. Sequels seem assured. 3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #629 on: March 04, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »

MAPS TO THE STARS: The lives of a drug-addicted teen idol, a middle-aged actress desperate for a career jolt, and a disfigured personal assistant from Florida collide in Hollywood tragedy. The Tinseltown satire is nothing you haven't seen before, but it's nice to watch a cast like this (Julianne Moore, Mia Wasikowska, John Cusak, Robert Pattison, and newcomer Evan Bird) acting nasty. 3/5.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.