Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:54:48 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 615598 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #645 on: May 17, 2015, 07:12:56 AM »

Mad Max: Fury Road

I'd estimate it's about 80% car chase. Really any more of it and I'd actually really just want to watch a nice character based drama just so I can stop watching things collide with one another.

Overall it's a pretty great film. The action set pieces are nuts, the people are nuts, the costume design is nuts and there is a guy dressed in a red onesie playing guitar that is also a flamethrower on top of a moving vehicle. Moreover they actually did it rather than using CGI.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2161513/mad-max-fury-road-guitar-player-doof-warrior-colin-gibson/

I really can't overstate how awesome the behind the scenes for this movie must be.

Ok so plot wise, you don't really need much to worry about. There's enough here that the characters are fleshed out enough and with a largeish support cast they actually all manage to get a bit of screen time which is pretty nice all things considered. The other factor is the hilarious response from Men's Rights Activists who basically are campaigning for people not to watch it because it's feminist propaganda and has ruined such a strong piece of American culture. Forgetting for a moment of course that it's actually an Australian film series...

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/15/entertainment/mad-max-fury-road-boycott-mens-rights-thr-feat/

But yeah, call me crazy but it's kind of nice when you have female characters that aren't just victims/objects and actually have some presence in a film...

Really go see it so that there are more 90 minute long action set pieces in the future. See it at cinemas with as loud a sound system as possible. Turn your brain off and let it go over you. Like I said, if anything I was a bit too overstimulated by the end so I'm glad it finished when it did; it ended right before it was going to start to wear thin so be prepared to maybe hit your personal tolerance level...

4.5/5. So far best action film of the year and I really find it hard to imagine anything beating it in the adrenaline stakes.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #646 on: May 17, 2015, 07:55:59 AM »

Mad Max Fury Road
Saw it yesterday and it's basically everything that dead said.
Don't mind the thin plot. It will be the most awesome theater visit you will have all year. It's like a 2 hour rollercoaster ride in 3D with stunning visuals, fantastic sound and over the top performances by every single actor.
I thought Furious 7 would be the most entertaining movie for me to see in theaters this year, but in the end Fury Road beat it to death.

dean

« Reply #647 on: May 18, 2015, 02:16:00 AM »

I should add it wasn't shot in 3D and I saw it in 2D. Only one shot near the end screamed to me as 'this is for the 3D market' so pretty sure it's not necessary to see it in 3D.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #648 on: May 19, 2015, 02:57:49 PM »

Well, this is a contrary opinion.

I waited 30 years for this film, and what do I get "Disappointment," and you'll see that word used a lot.

Nothing can top "Road Warrior," but I thought this might be 2nd, but . . .?! It is not 2nd. It is not even 3rd. It is last and least in the series, for the following reasons.

Action
not up to par of the 1st 3 films.
Disappointed

Character definition
Characters not as clearly defined as in the 1st 3 films.
Disappointed

Emotionally
flatter than it should be.
Disappointed

Fights
not up to par of the 1st 3 films
Disappointed

Group dynamics
Mad Max is the ultimate loner, which I can understand, being something of one myself, but . . .?! After seeing "The Avengers : Age of Ultron," I miss that group dynamics, and what you see here is not done as well as in "The Avengers : Age of Ultron."
Disappointed

Mad Max
is the ultimate anti-hero, but he is doing here what he'd not do in the 1st 3 films.
Disappointed

Misogyny
what is the female equivalent? In films 2 and 3, you have male and female working together for the betterment of the group. Here . . .?! except for a couple of sops, you have male and female working in opposition to each other and not for the betterment of neither, and with male = bad and female = good for the most part.
Disappointed

Music
not up to the standard of the 1st 3 films
Disappointed

Pessimistic
More so than films 2 and 3
Disappointed

R-rated
Crowded, but . . .?! Not as crowded as "The Avengers : Age of Ultron," where there was not an empty seat in the house for the showing, and here the crowd was more homogenous. There there were all ages. Here it was solely adults. Which means the film lost part of its audience.
Disappointed

Ridiculousness
The 1st 3 films verged on the ridiculousness, but they never went over the line. Here it not only went over the line, maybe because of the need to top itself, but . . .?! It smashed the line.
Disappointed

Staging
of chase scenes. Films 2 and 3 held off to the climax. Here not, which reduces the climatic chase scene.
Disappointed

Story differentiation
Each of the 1st 3 films was different from the other, even if slightly, here the same as the others.
Disappointed

Tom Hardy
Probably an impossible job, but Tom is no Mel Gibson
Disappointed

Victims and villains
doing what they'd not do in the 1st 3 films
Disappointed

3-D
Normally, I don't see a film in 3-D as the tickets are normally more expensive, and "a $ saves is a $ earned," but . . .?! here I wonder if this is one of the few films that'd have been better in 3-D.

Conclusion
If one has not seen any of the 1st 3 films, then I'd say go ahead and see this, as it is not a "bad" film. It's just so mediocre in comparison to the others, and if one has seen one or more of the others, then wait and see this on TV or on DVD, as it was not worth the $18.60 (admission + snacks) that I paid to see it. Still . . .

When the next one comes out, "Mad Max : Wasteland." I'll probably see it in theaters, but . . .?! in 3-D. Let's just hope it won't take 30 years for the 5th in the series to be released. Though, I wonder who or what Mad Max, the defender of the defenseless, is going to defend, as he defends in the . . .

1st the family/his partner
2nd the settlers, personified by the Feral Kid. Now there's a name for the ages. With the actor who played him. now owning a jewelry store in Sydney.
3rd children
4th women

Maybe Mad Max can protect Australia's Great Barrier Reef and/or its wildlife. Both of whom need protection from the hand of man or woman.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #649 on: May 28, 2015, 07:38:41 PM »

The parts are better than the whole, but . . .?! WHAT PARTS there are.
And like nil you have ever seen ere.

"Tomorrowland"

Understand it or admit you, like myself, do not totally understand it, and you'll probably like it. Do NOT understand it, or refuse to admit you do not totally understand it, and you'll probably not like it.

As for the parts . . .

When they started off with "It's a Great, Big Beautiful Tomorrow." Lord, that brought back memories and brought out the tears. And, of course, everyone recognized the singing of Rex Allen. The last of "The Singing Cowboys."

And that is why we ride "It's a Small World." For if we ride it and are deemed worthy, we will be taken into another dimension, but . . .?! We must be deemed worthy.

Blast from the Past.

See how many of the props you see in it, you recognize from past films.

And the relationship, between the two in the store, has not always been legal in the U.S.

The violence

The violence was--surprisingly--violent.

But . . .?! There was a couple of bigger surprises.

Where did she ever find a pay phone. For the most part, they no longer exist.

And even more surprising, where did she ever find a stick of Beeman's Gum. The only gum, except for Clove and Blackjact, that I'll chew, and I no longer chew gum, because like pay phones, you just can't much find them anymore, even though Blackjack was the first flavored gum ever made.

Dress to impress.

I was impressed by what people will wear in the future.

Not everyone.

I, for one, would not be interested in knowing the day of my death, for the moment I learn that, I'll also learn that there is nothing I can do to prevent it. As I get older, I think more about my demise, but . . .?! I also think about other things, but . . .?! if I learn that, and there is nothing I can do to prevent it, that's all that I'd think about.

Next time: most likely Pixar's Inside Out.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #650 on: June 03, 2015, 09:30:04 AM »

FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD: After she inherits her parent's country farm, young Bathsheba must choose between three suitors---one lowly and loyal, one rich and respectable, one dashing and dangerous---or to remain and independent and focues on running her estate. Adapted from Thomas Hardy's popular but forgettable 1874 novel, this production is just what you'd expect, joining a long line of above-average literary adaptations with great cinematography and acting that ultimately can't translate the magic of the original prose. 3.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #651 on: June 10, 2015, 08:43:47 AM »

SPY: Susan, a frumpy CIA analyst pushing middle age, volunteers to go into the field to track an arms dealer after all the agency's main operatives have their cover blown.  Entertaining Bond spoof with a comedically restrained Melissa McCarthy capably leading an eccentric ensemble. 3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #652 on: June 17, 2015, 09:29:40 AM »

I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS (2015): Retired widow Carol loses her dog, strikes up a friendship with the pool guy, and meets a man with his own yacht. With fine ensemble acting, "Golden Girls"-style gags, a sexy widower, and a couple of wet hankies thrown in, this modest, mature romantic dramedy easily satisfies its target audience. 3/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #653 on: June 22, 2015, 02:25:59 PM »

I wanted to get this right in, ere I left it out.

"Inside Out"

I think most people enjoyed it more than I did, because . . .?!
I was Sadness.
You cannot have Joy without Sadness.
Which is why--probably--Sadness was my favorite character.

The problem I had with the film was the plot. Not the originality or the lack of it, like some people, but . . .?! I just could not wrap my mind around the idea that the main plot was went on in the girl's head. I always saw the plot as two different individuals--here Joy and Sadness--finding themselves outside of their comfort zone and thus have to rely on each other to find their way home and to protect themselves from the dangers out there. Oddly enough, that is even more unoriginal, dating back at least 200 years, to the story of Hansel and Gretel, if not farther, then the other plot.

Other than that . . .?!
There was a lot to like in the film.

The jokes were . . .
throwaways. So, you had to pay attention to what was happening.

The mouse was . . .
Ratatouille. That was a nice in-joke.

The studio was . . .
Paramount. Which caught me by surprise.

The cat was . . .
familiar. I should have been able to place it, where I'd seen it before, but . . .?! I couldn't.

Bing Bong was . . .
And this is a real stretch, but . . .?!  he reminded me of the Calypso song "Bim Bom Bay" by Jimmie Rodgers.

The voices were . . .
and this is a real strength of Pixar, they cast not the "best known" voices, but . . .?! the "best" voices for the role. Though, I was surprised, while watching the credits, how many well known actors voiced a character in the film.

And . . .?!

dream dynamics
family dynamics
friendship dynamics

It took me--again--by surprise, but . . .?! How much better this animated film nailed those dynamics, then most live action films on those dynamics.

I actually thought there towards the end, that the family would actually move back to Minnesota, from where they came originally, but . . .?! That'd have sent the wrong message, as "One can only move forward. One cannot go back." But . . .?! The family decided to stay in San Francisco, and everything worked out, but . . .?! They never did answer the question whether the father in the film got the investor he was looking at, or whether he had to lay off employees in a month or two.

And it was a nice conceit to see everyone's emotions at the end, and how all the emotions looked like everyone.

Next time: Ant-man.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #654 on: June 24, 2015, 09:04:32 AM »

Went to see INSIDE OUT yesterday but the screening was sold out (!). So instead I saw

DOPE: Nerdy, college-bound Malcolm finds that his future, and his life, may be in jeopardy after he accidentally finds himself in possession of several kilos of drugs. Entertaining action-comedy with (some) black characters who buck stereotypes; it's sort of a mix of RISKY BUSINESS and BOYZ IN THE HOOD, with a few nods to SUPERFLY. Worth a watch. 4/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #655 on: July 01, 2015, 09:04:49 AM »

INSIDE OUT: The crisis management skills of young Riley's mental control team---the personified emotions- of Joy, Sadness, Fear, etc.---are put to the test when the girl's life is uprooted by a move from Minnesota to San Francisco. This movie effectively conveys relatively complex human psychology to children by depicting the mind as a colorful and adventure-filled landscape of control rooms, memory globes, personality islands, dream studios, and so on, and contains an unexpectedly mature moral---optimism is a bully, and if left unchecked by "negative" emotions it would destroy us. 4.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #656 on: July 03, 2015, 08:47:19 AM »

THE WOLFPACK: Documentary about the Angulos, a family of six boys and a girl, who were raised in an tenement apartment in NYC's lower east side and only allowed to go outside once or twice a year. They learn about the outside world and keep their sanity by re-enacting scenes from classic movies (Tarantino is a favorite). Their existence is almost like a real life version of the imprisoned children of DOGTOOTH, without the linguistic tricks and with a happy ending. 3/5.

dean

« Reply #657 on: July 03, 2015, 08:03:05 PM »

Jurassic World

Dinosaurs! I had pretty low expectations about this one but I actually found it better than I originally thought it would be. Still it seemed to lack the heart that the first one had, despite the lead characters actually being half decent as far as vapid Hollywood productions go.

SPOILERS:

Why didn't the producers use the camouflaged dino feature more often? They really should have used that more than once.

3/5

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #658 on: July 15, 2015, 08:51:43 AM »

AMY: Documentary on singer Amy Winehouse, using archival footage and never-before-seen home movies to follow her from a promising bright-eyed ingenue to a broken-down, skeletal addict who literally drinks herself to death. Doc does a good job fleshing out the stock figure of the self-destructive artist. 3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #659 on: July 22, 2015, 09:00:09 AM »

LOVE & MERCY: Beach Boy Brian Wilson's story is told flipping back and forth between two time periods: his creative period making the "Pet Sounds" album, when his psychotic breakdown begins, and in the 1980s, when he romances a car saleswoman much to the displeasure of the psychiatrist who controls every aspect of his life. Superior biopic with multiple awards-caliber performances: from Paul Dano as bright young Brian, John Cusak as the shell of a man he becomes, and Paul Giamatti as the terrifying shrink. 4.5/5.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.