Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:38:38 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 615612 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #780 on: April 08, 2017, 08:46:31 AM »

a giant singing crab.
I've had those.... Oops Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #781 on: April 12, 2017, 08:56:47 AM »

YOUR NAME (2016): Two teenage strangers randomly and periodically swap bodies, but encounter difficulties trying to locate each other in real life in this romantic anime fantasy. Likable characters, quality animation, and just when the body-swapping possibilities seem exhausted, the script throws in an unforeseen twist that raises the stakes. at least one critic is sugesting a possible Oscar nomination. 3.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #782 on: April 13, 2017, 03:08:02 PM »

As I posted earlier, (IMHO) there were winners and losers from the success of Beauty and the Beast.

1st Winners

Emma Watson
Who earned an average of $7 and a half million a film, when she appeared as Hermione in the Harry Potter series, will most likely take in twice that playing Belle in this film. $3 million upfront + $12 million in profit sharing, when the box office total passes $750 million, as it has already.

Halloween costume makers
I can see a lot of little Belles this Halloween. For boys, more of a guess. The Beast is a little too complicated. I see, if boys dress up as a character from the film, it is more likely to be Gaston.

House of Mouse
Likely to surpass $1 billion in the international box office, which would mean that since the 1st billion $ earner at the box office,  o'er half of them have come from the House of Mouse, like this one, or its subsidiaries.

Musicals
Normally, with the success of this one, you'd likely see more musicals, but they are extremely hard to do and extremely hard to do cheaply, so it is extremely hard for them to turn a profit. Thus, most musicals, like this one, will be from the House of Mouse, who will continue to turn their animated films into live action. Though, I do expect to see, as it is so popular and critically acclaimed, to see a film version of Hamilton : an American Musical.

Theaters
The demand was so great, that 1st week it was out, that they had to add extra showings to meet the demand.

2nd Losers

Some of the competition that came out, when Beauty and the Beast was playing.
Both Power Rangers and Ghost in a Shell were expected to spawn sequels, which have since been canceled, when they underperformed at the box office, due somewhat to Beauty and the Beast.

dean

« Reply #783 on: April 14, 2017, 07:05:51 AM »

Some of the competition that came out, when Beauty and the Beast was playing.
Both Power Rangers and Ghost in a Shell were expected to spawn sequels, which have since been canceled, when they underperformed at the box office, due somewhat to Beauty and the Beast.

Can't speak to Power Rangers, but I gotta say I'm sad that Ghost in the Shell didn't spawn a sequel, but am also not surprised because it really was mostly a 'meh' film and that can't be good for a film with the budget it had.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #784 on: April 19, 2017, 08:40:41 AM »

KEDI (2016): Documentary on the stray cats of Istanbul, whom are treated like communal pets by the citizens. A soothing watch, although an hour was enough for me; the crazy cat lady in your life will lap this up like milk in a saucer. 3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #785 on: April 26, 2017, 07:09:26 PM »

TONI ERDMAN (2016): A father given to (awkward) practical jokes visits his nearly-estranged workaholic daughter in Bucharest; instead of leaving when planned, he stays around posing (in a wig) as life coach Toni Erdmann, inserting himself into her work life. Fine acting by the two principals portraying characters who are more likable and believable than the synopsis makes it sound; I can see Hollywood remaking this as a comedy. 3.5/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #786 on: April 29, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »

Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 2 : the trailer

I did want to get this up, before I saw the film next month. As I don't buy my tickets ahead of time, but only on the day that I see the film, I'll probably see it in its 2nd week of release, as there is some expectation that it'll have the biggest opening week box office on record, at least here in the U.S.,  surpassing even the latest Fast and Furious, which holds the record so far.

Surprise and surprise
We already know what the actors can do, as we saw most of them in the 1st film, but, those who have seen the film in its entirety, says the surprise performance comes from Michael Rooker as Yondu, who it is said gives an extraordinary performance in his role. "Yondu can fondue. Can you?" The surprise for me, what little I have seen of it, is Kurt Russell as Peter's father Ego. One of those actors, who I'd never have chosen for the role.

Imitation and Flattery
I don't think before the Guardians of the Galaxy had I ever seen a trailer that had an song not written for the film playing over the trailer. Now it seems like every other trailer had this. The latest I have seen and heard is the trailer for the latest in the Kings man series of films: Kings man : the Golden Circle, which will be out later this year.

DC and Marvel
This is from someone who prefers Marvel to DC, but one thing I think DC has done better than Marvel with DC's Robin, Super boy, Super girl, the Teen Titans, et al, is make use of its teen characters. That may change, and it begins with Aramis Knight as the Boy on Star Lord's ship. Then next year or 2018 we get from Marvel the following series with teen characters on TV or the internet: Cloak and Dagger, the Runaways, and Marvel's New Warriors, which will feature Squirrel Girl and Tippy Toe, Mister Immortal, Night Thrasher, Speedball, Microbe, and Debrii.

And what would a Marvel film be with out a cameo by Stan Lee. This time he apparently appears as Uatu the Watcher.

More on this "goodness," when I see it next month.

At least someone thinks it'll do good business at the box office, as there are already plans for a Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 3 in 2020.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #787 on: May 08, 2017, 05:17:49 PM »

They earn money the old fashioned way. They make full-length nature documentaries, and they are apparently the last major Hollywood studio to do so.(Warner Brothers did it one year, and that was the 1st and last time, I saw them do it.) And this was the 6th or 7th from the House of Mouse. Each one on a different subject and being releases around the time of Earth Day in April.

This one was Born in China and dealt with 5 types of animals in China: the snow leopard, the quiu antelope, the golden snob nose monkey, the giant panda, and the Chinese crane, as it followed these 5 type of animals thru the 4 seasons and into the spring of the next year.

And if one sees it the 1st week it is released to theaters, part of the box office is donated to some environmental group. This time the money went to the National Wildlife Fund for the conservation of the snow leopard and giant panda in China.

For some reason, there was not one last year or in 2016, but there will be one next year or 2018, and it will deal with life in the sea, especially the dolphin and will be called Dolphins.

And if you see this or any of the others, then stay to the end credits, because while the credits roll, they often focus on the wildlife photographers who make each of these documentaries possible, and it is an international mix of men, who often have to endure 2 types of weather: bad and worst. Who often have to pack in everything they need on their backs, and for whom 1 minute of usable film footage in 24 hours is a good days work.

Next time: excluding Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 2, it'll most likely be 5th in the Pirates of the Caribbean series Dead Men Tell No Tales, which is scheduled to be in theaters at the end of this month.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #788 on: May 10, 2017, 08:47:03 AM »

GRADUATION (2016): A Romanian father will do anything to ensure his daughter gets a scholarship to Cambridge and a better life; the goal becomes more difficult when she's assaulted on her way to final exams. Lots of threads here---Romeo's complex family life, the assault investigation, his attempt to navigate the local network of favor-trading, and a mysterious stalker. Unfortunately, even after more than two hours, there are still loose ends, but the movie does paint an effectively depressing portrait of modern Romania as a land of petty corruption. 3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #789 on: May 24, 2017, 10:05:01 AM »

BAAHUBALI 2 (2017): The hero Baahubali, prince of a mythical Indian kingdom and legendary warrior capable of single-handedly defeating entire armies, seeks a beautiful and virtuous princess for a bride, and finds his throne treacherously taken from him by his jealous brother's lies. At over three hours (with an intermission) it's two movies for the price of one, but it feels like even more: like a grandiose Hollywood epic, like a Hercules movie, and like a Hong Kong wuxia with the most ludicrously impossible fight scenes ever staged, all the while remaining unmistakably Indian (yes, there are musical numbers). It has warts, but it will overwhelm you. There's no need have seen the first entry to enjoy this, the highest-grossing Indian film of all time. 3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #790 on: May 31, 2017, 09:17:08 AM »

A QUIET PASSION (2016): Biopic of Emily Dickinson, following the poet's life as she becomes increasingly withdrawn and struggles with bitterness over her lack of recognition. The main plaudits have been for Cynthia Nixon's performance---and you spend enough time with the frail woman that she (almost alone) manages to overcome the affectation of everyone here talking like they're characters in a 19th century novel rather than real people---but writer/director Terrence Davies' insightful and witty script, full of Austen-esque quips and well-planned readings of Dickinson's poetry, deserves more credit than it is getting. 3.5/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #791 on: May 31, 2017, 05:53:14 PM »

Pirates of the Caribbean : Dead Men Tell No Tales w/ Johnny Depp, Javier Bardem, and Geoffrey Rush.
Hereafter known as POTC.

The fifth in the series or 1 short of a double trilogy. Will there be a 6th? The after credits scene would seem to suggest that there'll be a 6th film. That depends on how well this film does.

Johnny Depp
Hard to believe that this is the actor same whose motion picture debut was a victim of Freddie Krueger in the 1st Nightmare on Elm Street.

Javier Bardem
Depp may be a star here in the U.S., but in Europe Javier Bardem is the star, which is why in some parts of Europe POTC is subtitled Salazar's Revenge.

Geoffrey Rush
To paraphrase him, as he said: "That it was his role in Shine that got him an Oscar, but it was his role in POTC that got him an audioanimatronic figure in the theme parks and made  him famous."

Looking at the trailers.
The major studios are spacing their major films out at one a week, which squeezes out the smaller studios or reduces the windows of opportunity.

As to what is next in the way of films based on theme park attractions. Back on again is a film based on . . .
The Jungle Cruise with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
The Haunted Mansion directed by Guillermo del Toro.

Next time: Cars 3
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #792 on: June 07, 2017, 09:14:31 AM »

WONDER WOMAN (2017): When an American spy crash lands in the ocean near her paradisaical island, Diana, a member of the race of Amazons tasked with protecting the Earth from the corrupting influence of the God of War, leaves her home to try to stop WWI. Gal Gadot is strong and charming, the fight scenes are exciting, and the WWI setting is refreshing. Once its feminist/DC bonus points expire, it will be seen for what it is: an above-average piece of escapism. 3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #793 on: June 14, 2017, 08:52:49 AM »

I, DANIEL BLAKE: After a heart attack, carpenter Daniel Blake befriends a unemployed single mother while navigating an obstructionist British bureaucracy that denies his request for disability payments and requires him to look for work against his cardiologist's orders. It's not the fault of the actors, who do superb work, but I couldn't escape the feeling that I was watching a Labour MP's campaign speech retooled into a movie script. And, although it's almost certainly a moral failing peculiar to me, I nevertheless encounter frequent boredom during long stretches observing the quiet dignity of the struggling poor. 2.5/5.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #794 on: June 15, 2017, 03:33:04 AM »

There's no need have seen the first entry to enjoy this, the highest-grossing Indian film of all time. 3.5/5.

Sounds good: I always thought the highest grossing Indian film was this:

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.