Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:34:02 AM
713408 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 615847 times)
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #840 on: February 02, 2018, 10:06:32 PM »

THE SHAPE OF WATER: A mute cleaning woman forms a relationship with an aquatic creature she finds imprisoned in a military facility. Fun little bestiality-themed fairy tale from Guillermo del Toro, with Michael Shannon making for an excellent villain and the best musical number of the year. 4.5/5.

I finally caught this one yesterday. A surprisingly feel-good and often hilarious Beauty and The Beast rift that, if you squint, becomes the best remake of REVENGE OF THE CREATURE possible. Great cast and crew with a  of well earned aquarium-load of Oscar nomination,, a flawless 1960s setting, and a well-realized central Creature make this a must see for us aging Monster Kids.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #841 on: February 14, 2018, 09:56:00 AM »

JUMANJI: WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE (2017): Four high schoolers get sucked into a video game where they take on the personas of adventuring avatars to complete an Indiana Jones-style quest to free themselves. It couldn't be more obvious: the nerd becomes a hero, the athlete becomes a wimp, the nerdy chick becomes a hot chick, and the hot chick becomes a middle-aged man; still, the cast has good chemistry and there are a couple of laughs. Not much for grown ups but kids should be fine with it. 2.5/5,

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #842 on: February 27, 2018, 12:04:46 PM »

No release date, yet, but welcome to Jumanji 2.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #843 on: February 28, 2018, 09:55:38 AM »

ANNIHILATION:As her husband, the only survivor of an expedition into a bizarre phenomena referred to as the Shimmer, recuperates, a biologist enters the region in search of answers. Alex Garland's sophomore feature reminds one of Tarkvosky's philosophical science fiction, but with Hollywood pacing, maximalist CGI effects, and even jump scares, and includes a psychedelic finale that brings to mind Kubrick's 2001. It's not quite the masterpiece those comparisons suggest---but it is in the ballpark. 4.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #844 on: March 07, 2018, 11:05:40 AM »

GAME NIGHT: When a real kidnapping takes place at a murder mystery party, three ultra-competitive couples are drawn into a high-stakes game none of them expected. This comedy/mystery mashup of DATE NIGHT and THE GAME is tightly (if absurdly) plotted and features hilariously gruesome set pieces (a painful amateur bullet removal and a bloody lapdog). 3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #845 on: March 14, 2018, 09:04:49 AM »

THOROUGHBREDS: A rich girl enlists the help of her sociopathic ex-friend to kill her stepfather. Not quite a black comedy or thriller, despite containing elements of each, it's the sizzling-but-chilly performances from Olivia Cooke and Anna Taylor-Joy that make this dark drama work. 3.5/5.

javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #846 on: March 14, 2018, 05:36:05 PM »

ANNIHILATION:As her husband, the only survivor of an expedition into a bizarre phenomena referred to as the Shimmer, recuperates, a biologist enters the region in search of answers. Alex Garland's sophomore feature reminds one of Tarkvosky's philosophical science fiction, but with Hollywood pacing, maximalist CGI effects, and even jump scares, and includes a psychedelic finale that brings to mind Kubrick's 2001. It's not quite the masterpiece those comparisons suggest---but it is in the ballpark. 4.5/5.

Oh, heavens! How can you recommend a movie that whitewashes the main character (that the original author apparently did not assign a cultural heritage to until the SECOND novel)? So politically incorrect!!   Lookingup

Yes, I'm joking about you being insensitive, Rev. Sadly, I'm not joking about the internet crybabies.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #847 on: March 21, 2018, 08:55:53 AM »

LOVE, SIMON: A closeted gay high school senior tries to find the identity of the anonymous student he's been sharing his secret with while trying to avoid being blackmailed when his conversations are discovered. Decent, though not especially bold, teen romantic comedy with amusing supporting turns by the socially inept teenage blackmailer, ingratiating vice principal, and sassy drama teacher. Should please it's target audience (teenage girls, if my theater's audience is representative; one presumes closeted gay teens will furtively sneak a peek once it gets to Netflix). I do hope we quickly reach the point where critics no longer feel obligated to award movies bonus stars simply for having gay characters. 3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #848 on: March 29, 2018, 07:48:24 AM »

UNSANE: Depressed and anxious after fleeing a stalker for a new life, Sawyer finds herself tricked into committing herself into a mental institution; but has she been shanghaied as part of an insurance scam, or is she really a danger to herself and others? Minor but effective psychothriller veering between two basic fears: losing ones mind and being falsely imprisoned (three basic fears, if you count stalker anxiety). Worth a rental, I would not drive out to the theater to see it. For some reason, it was shot on an Iphone (by Stephen Sorderberg, not by some B-movie mook). You wouldn't know, but you won't actually be stunned by the cinematography either. 3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #849 on: April 04, 2018, 08:49:24 AM »

DOUBLE LOVER: A young woman suffering from phantom pains in her stomach seeks the help of a psychiatrist, they fall in love, and she suspects he is harboring a secret about his past. French melange of a psychological thriller with a vaguely Hitchcockian plot, Lynchian atmosphere, Cronenbergian themes, and von Trieresque transgression (fairly explicit sex and even more explicit gynecology); tense, yet familiar. 3.5/5

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #850 on: April 07, 2018, 04:58:52 PM »

Easter Sunday. Everything in this town closes down, except the film theaters, which are open 365 days an year and 366 days an year in a Leap Year, so I took in a film.

Probably a more appropriate film to see would have been Paul, Apostle of Christ, but as it was playing farther away from where I live, and I meant to see this one the week before, I saw this one.

Not good
The animation of animate objects, while the animators seeming had no problems with animating inanimate objects, the animate objects were not as well drawn (IMHO) especially the animals.

TAL (trailers always lie)
The film was not as stupid as I'd thought it'd be from the trailer, but they seemingly stuck every stupid joke in the film into the trailer.

Not bad
The voice talent. It was especially good to hear Michael Caine's voice, as he apparently voiced one of the last characters in his long film career.

Easter eggs
It was fun to pick out all the Easter eggs in the film. Some of which were quite obscure. Some of which were referenced to Sherlock Holmes and some to other subjects.

Color and black-and-white animation
In the film, I actually preferred the color animation that played over the end credits and the black-and-white animation that played during the film.

Not bad/Not good
MGM is still making films. Here in a co-production with Paramount.

Who ever said that a children's film has to be stupid, before children will see it. While this one turned out not to be as stupid as I thought it might be, there were a couple of trailers for films, that gave new meaning to stupid. Of course, (TAL)

Storyline. Which I thought was neither bad nor good.

Using garden gnomes to tell a story. The concept is wearing thin, after the 1st one which was Gnomeo and Juliet.

Actor or character.
Not necessarily here, but if you look at a lot of contemporary animated films, the actor comes before the character. Whether the actor fits the character seems to be immaterial. On the other hand, Pixar seemingly does the reverse. It finds the best voice actor possible for the character. Thus, putting the character first. Whether the voice actor is well known or not is seemingly immaterial.

Success or failure
You look at all the other films playing at the same time at the theater, and you realize that probably only 1 or 2 will be a success at the box office. The other ones will fail there. Of course, that excludes Black Panther, which may not be selling out shows, but it is still generating enough business almost 2 months later, that it is still playing at the theater.

As for this one, who knows whether it'll be a success or failure. While I did not enjoy this one as much as the 1st one, if there is a 3rd, I'll probably go see it.

The film: Sherlock Gnomes

Next time: unless I make an effort to go to see Paul, an Apostle of Christ, it'll probably not to be next month till I see another film, which will be Avengers : Infinity War.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #851 on: April 11, 2018, 09:36:14 AM »

THE DEATH OF STALIN (2017): Satirical treatment of the maneuverings of the surviving Politburo to become the next Premiere of the Soviet Union after Josef Stalin unexpectedly dies of a stroke. The fact that Stalin is a Cockney and Kruschev speaks with a Brooklyn accent adds a necessary level of unreality to an authoritarian "comedy" that could easily have gone too dark---here, any character or extra can die at any moment. Watching Steve Buscemi bumble his way to the top of the Party while acting like a perpetually annoyed middle manager at an insurance firm is a pure joy. A Communist comedy with laugh-out-loud moments. Best movie of 2018 so far. 5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #852 on: April 19, 2018, 08:46:11 AM »

A QUIET PLACE (2018): A family struggles to survive in a post-apocalyptic world where they must always remain as quiet as possible due to the blind alien (?) predators who hunt entirely by sense of hearing. If you can get past the contrived premise, there are good moments of suspense here (how can you keep a baby from triggering the hunters?), along with an interesting creature design for monster freaks. See it in a theater and it's virtually guaranteed that some a***ole's cell-phone will go off during a tense moment. 3.5/5.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #853 on: June 27, 2018, 05:42:30 PM »

I finally got to see Incredibles 2.

Different is good. And, hopefully, most of these posts are different from the other posts on the internet.

01. Opening weekend
$180 million to $183.2 million. What is a few million among friends. The best opening weekend for any animated film, and the 8th best opening weekend for any PG-rated film.

02. Villain
I felt the villain was a little off, but they did get one thing dead right. It is the quiet ones you can't trust, as their minds are revolving and rotating faster than almost everyone else's.

03. Villain's name.
This is not the 1st time you can tell the villain by its name. There was an episode of Wizards of Waverly Place on the Disney Channel, where the villain was named Evelyn, but she pronounced it as Evil Lynn, which is a dead giveaway to who is the villain.

04. Secret villain.
They must be taking a leaf from Disney, who seems to prefer to surprise the audience, as to who is the villain. I thought this was the 1st time Pixar had done it, but, then I remember last year's Pixar's Coco, who also tried to surprise the audience, as to who is the villain.

05. Relationships
The strength of the film to me was the relationships between the characters. Few films have seemed to got it as right as this one.

06. Mrs. Frozone
Reminded me of Carlton, the Doorman (played by Lorenzo Music) on Rhoda. A character who you heard, but never saw. At first, they wanted to play Carlton as a drunk, so they offered the part to Foster Brooks, if anyone remembers him, but he turned the part down.

07. Easter Eggs
Some wonderful Easter eggs in the film.
a. Men in Black. With a character that looks like Tommy Lee Jones.
b. Jonny Quest. That one had me ROTFL!

08. Darns
a. It was dark.
b. Were the kids eating Post cereal for breakfast? Which is still available on your store's shelf.
c. Was she drinking whiskey neat?

09. Conservatives
I wonder what they thought of it. I know some liked the 1st one, as rightly or wrongly, they saw it as being anti-government.

10. Cameos
I can't put a name to them, but it seems to me that some of the characters in the film were based on real people.

11. Birth order
Out of order. The odds are that it'll be girl-boy-girl, but the film has it girl-boy-boy.

12. Academy Awards
The Oscar for Best Animated Film has been handed out 16 times, and Pixar has won it 9 times. It may have a 10th win next year, as the only serious competition, to date, is Disney's Ralph Breaks the Internet : Wreck-it-Ralph 2, which is to be released later this year.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #854 on: July 09, 2018, 04:13:21 PM »

Ant-man and the Wasp

Your enjoyment of this may depend on how much you enjoy . . .

--humor
And what makes it more difficult, they don't only drop in a joke or two into the plot, they make the humor pertinent to the scene in which it appears.

--cameos
Unexpected, but Stan Lee has a cameo in the film. Always the funniest moment in any Marvel film for me.

--secret villains
Disney animation, Pixar, Star Wars, and now Marvel. Of course, they are all in some way connected to each other. It'd be interesting--for me--whether this trend also appears in films not associated somehow with these.

--sequels
While this can stand on its own, it is actually a sequel to both Ant-man and Avengers : Civil War. And there will be a sequel to this one, or why actors like to work for Marvel. It's that rarity in Hollywood, steady work.

--trending downwards
Looking at the posters and trailers for upcoming films, there seems to be a trend to make more films for younger audiences and less films for older audiences. Thus, critics are going to need to find a new technique to critique these films. They are still using the same technique they used on earlier films, and that technique increasingly does not apply.

A minor movie note. Both Laurence Fishburne and Angela Bassett have not only starred in Marvel films, Fishburne here and Bassett in Black Panther, but they also starred opposite each other in What's Love Got to Do With It? Bassett as Tina Turner and Fishburne as Ike Turner.

Next time: Alpha in August and then in November, a film I only found about this month, Robin Hood. While I do prefer the versions from the '30's to the '70's, as opposite those made from the '80's to now. I am always up for another Robin Hood film. Even if it reminds me of an earlier film. You know the one. The one in which Robin Hood spoke with an American accent.

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.