Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:05:29 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 615769 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #855 on: August 05, 2018, 04:36:02 AM »

The World Is Yours (2018)

French heist film that is directed by an acclaimed music video director. A fun romp that has a kinetic visual style with plenty of music montages and whose material is somewhat elevated thanks to a slight commentary on the aspirations of second and third generation immigrants. Includes a great turn from Vincent Cassel as a bit of a dopey thug who starts watching illuminati videos mid heist.

Not without its flaws, but worth a watch if it's thrown your way; I had a blast.

4/5

! No longer available Small | Large

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #856 on: August 16, 2018, 04:37:35 PM »

Christopher Robin
Time. Place. Care

Time
A reminder that time did not begin with myself. That there was a time ere I was born, and when I die, time will continue.

Place
The U.S. is such a dominant part of the world, I sometimes forget that there are other places in the world besides the U.S. And if the U.S. ever ceases to exist, these places will likely continue.

Cares
Not to belittle anybody's cares, but a reminder that we all have them.

Next film: Alpha
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #857 on: August 29, 2018, 12:59:48 AM »

Under the Silver Lake

I mainly went to see this, because I immensely liked 'It Follows', Mitchell's previous one. I am not so sure about this one. This is pretty apt, because a lot in this film is left unclear, and the characters aren't very sure about what they are doing either.

It looks like a highly stylised neo-noir pastiche of modern paranoia and conspiracy theories. The shadow of David Lynch hangs heavily above this one. Just about every conspiracy theory trope makes an appearance. This for me is the weakness of the movie. Where 'It Follows' was played straight, and had a pretty linear plot, here you have a succession of weirdness which suddenly stops.
The movie might be a comment on hedonistic nihilism. None of the characters are very engaging, with the main character being a bit of an a**hole, so that would support the satire angle.

Still, it is very watchable and intriguing. Also a shout out to Patrick Fischler, one of my favorite supporting role actors, who give here as well a very intense performance.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #858 on: September 11, 2018, 04:24:29 PM »

Kin. Or, I should say I meant to see Kin last weekend, since I was unable to see it, I plan to see it his weekend, if it is still playing in the local area. If not, then the next film I plan on seeing is Johnny English with Rowan Atkinson, which will be next month in October, even though it was originally scheduled for the month of September.

I am surprised to see so many films change release dates this year, as normally they are set in concrete and an year ahead of time, as rival studios try to book the best play dates and intimidate their rival studios.

As for Rowan Atkinson, when we talked about British comedies on this forum, I should have mentioned Blackadder with Rowan Atkinson. A British TV comedy set during 4 periods of British history.
1st the end of the 15th century
2nd the Elizabethan era in the 16th century
3rd the 18th century
4th WWI and the beginning of the 20th century.
For a comedy, I thought the 4th had a surprising amount of emotional hmmpph to it.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #859 on: September 23, 2018, 03:02:24 PM »

Darn! I am spending more time talking about what I haven't seen, then what I have seen. Kin is no longer playing in the area in which I live, so I missed out on seeing that one on the big screen, but pay attention to the star Myles Truitt. While this film has done nothing for his career in film, and while he has worked mostly in TV, people expect him to have a successful career in film. We'll see.

My next film, and I'll have to make more of an effort to see it, Johnny English Strikes Again. Release date October 26, 2018.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #860 on: November 12, 2018, 05:19:46 PM »

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

Waltz
he has a tin ear, when it comes to music, but when Clara and her father were dancing, that music was in 3 quarters time, as they were dancing a waltz. (IMHO) One of the most beautiful dances ever invented with some of the most beautiful music ever composed, and controversial. Because before the waltz, men and women mostly danced separated from each other, but, with the waltz, they danced close together.

Tropes
I don't know when this began, but, it seems to me to becoming more popular. The suppose villain, actually being the hero, and the hero, actually being the villain.

Sidesaddle
I could not figure out whether Clara was riding sidesaddle or not, and, if she was not, then she was doing it wrong. A lady of her breeding, at that time, and that place, rode sidesaddle. My mother's mother, my grandmother, who was born ere the turn of the last century and lived into the 2nd half of that century, always rode sidesaddle. Because a "real" lady never spread her legs, even when riding a horse.

Nutcracker Suite
Now a staple of most ballet companies, when it was originally introduced to audiences, it was an abject failure. It was only successful, when George Balanchine introduced it to audiences again in the 1950s.

Nesting dolls
The little people in the film are imitating nesting dolls. So called, because each nests inside the larger one. Maybe not so popular here, but they are widely popular in Russia, where they can be found almost everywhere.

Misty Copeland
She still has it, even at 36. The 1st Afro-American woman to be a principal dancer with the American Ballet Theater (ABT.)

Flashback
When the ballet opened with the orchestra in silhouette, I had a flashback to Fantasia, which opened the same way. There again, while now regarded as being one of the best films ever produced under the direction of Walt Disney, it was a failure, when it 1st opened in theaters. Not becoming a success to the 1960's, when audiences started watching it, while drug enhanced.

And the film was emotionally satisfying as well--surprisingly so.

Next time: now that Johnny English has come and gone, and I missed it, the next film is either another remake of Robin Hood or the sequel Ralph Breaks the Internet, depending upon which one opens 1st.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #861 on: November 13, 2018, 10:01:35 AM »

CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME?: A down-and-out writer develops a scheme to forge letters from literati like Dorothy Parker and Noel Coward for sale on the collector's market. Based on a true story. Nice to see Melissa McCarthy in a witty script that gives her a chance to act for a change; nice to see Richard E. Grant anytime. Will get some Oscar buzz for adapted screenplay, best actress and best supporting actor. 3.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #862 on: November 13, 2018, 11:38:05 AM »

the Sniper (1952) - later era film noir from TCMs film noir thing. I had seen this a long time ago and remembered liking it. I still liked it a lot. The villain is clearly "evil" yet I was kind of rooting for him to escape. I feel very badly about this. compelling and the direction is excellent: very cool and memorable outside shots. i've never been a fan of sets
5/5
check it out

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:41:20 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #863 on: November 13, 2018, 01:04:40 PM »

the Sniper (1952) - later era film noir from TCMs film noir thing. I had seen this a long time ago and remembered liking it. I still liked it a lot. The villain is clearly "evil" yet I was kind of rooting for him to escape. I feel very badly about this. compelling and the direction is excellent: very cool and memorable outside shots. i've never been a fan of sets
5/5
check it out

Bet you didn't see it in a theater though.  Wink

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #864 on: November 15, 2018, 12:01:03 PM »

oops
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #865 on: November 19, 2018, 03:54:06 PM »

Ralph Breaks the Internet.
Not yet, as it does not open till tomorrow, Tuesday, but with the merger of the Fox and the Mouse, there are, according to some counts 190 animated characters from 79 films, shorts, and TV shows in it, or, the greatest gathering of animated characters to date. Some so obscure, I had to verify what I was seeing. All with some association now with the Mouse.

As for what is not associated . . . characters from . . .
Donkey Kong (the video game)
Popeye (the animated version) since the Mouse in conjunction with Paramount produced a live-action version with Robin Williams as the title character.
and Rocko's Modern Life (the TV show.)

Most likely I'll see it on Thanksgiving Day, for when all is closed, the theaters are open.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #866 on: November 26, 2018, 04:38:11 PM »

Ralph Breaks the Internet

My last comment may have been a little confusing, so let me rephrase it. With the merger of the Fox and the Mouse, there are 190 characters in the film from 79 films, shorts, and TV shows that have some association with one or both. The ones that have nothing to do with neither continue to be . . .

the animated version of Popeye
Donkey Kong
Rocko's Modern Life

And if one wants to see them all, then one will have to watch the film more than once. For their cameo appearances are so short and there are so many of them, one cannot see them all in one viewing of the film.

Arcades. the Internet. the Wi Fi.
(IMHO) there has ne'er been a better film on these subjects, so if one wants to intro someone to these, then this is the film to show them.

C3PO
I swear. When he rapped on the dressing room door, I thought someone was knocking on the door to the theater, wanting to enter.

Gal Gadot
She works for 'the other guys." Which is the difference between then and now.
Then: "You work for us. You don't work for the other guys. Unless we tell you to go work for them, and if you don't go to work for them, you'll be punished by being put on probation and not making any films for awhile."
Now: an actor has somewhat more freedom as for who and when they work.

Stan Lee
If not his last cameo in a film, then one of his last. I think I'll miss that more than anything else. His film cameos.

Stick Shift
I just realized that the girls were driving cars with a stick shift. So, get them while they're hot. Fewer and fewer American cars are being made each year, that have a stick shift. Actually, I can't drive a car with a stick shift. I can only drive a car that has an automatic.

While, at times I felt the film was a bit off, still . . .
Funny. Exciting. Emotionally affecting. It worked for me.

Next time: another remake of the Robin Hood. Always up for that.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #867 on: November 27, 2018, 02:25:56 PM »

WIDOWS: A heist gone wrong makes widows of three women; they find plans for the gang's next job and plot to carry out the robbery to repay the debts their deceased husbands left them. A satisfying heist drama with a great ensemble cast (led by Viola Davis, with Daniel Kaluuya a memorably sadistic villain), a twisty plot, and an interesting setting (it occurs during a crooked Chicago alderman election campaign). 3.5/5.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #868 on: November 28, 2018, 08:48:31 AM »

WIDOWS: A heist gone wrong makes widows of three women; they find plans for the gang's next job and plot to carry out the robbery to repay the debts their deceased husbands left them. A satisfying heist drama with a great ensemble cast (led by Viola Davis, with Daniel Kaluuya a memorably sadistic villain), a twisty plot, and an interesting setting (it occurs during a crooked Chicago alderman election campaign). 3.5/5.

I'll bet the British TV series is still better and more raw than this.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #869 on: November 28, 2018, 09:09:07 AM »

I'll bet the British TV series is still better and more raw than this.

I didn't realize it was based on an old TV show, but you're right! No idea which is better, though.

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.