Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:27:16 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 615577 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #870 on: December 12, 2018, 09:56:14 AM »

RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET: Two arcade characters enter the Internet searching for a replacement part for a broken game, encountering social media, MMOs, spam, viruses, and marketing opportunities. Entertaining light satire, plus kids can learn important lessons about horizontal brand integration, cross-promotion, and intellectual property product placement. The Ralph made of a million Ralphs was cool, in a nightmarish way. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #871 on: December 14, 2018, 06:42:18 AM »

See it in a theater and it's virtually guaranteed that some a***ole's cell-phone will go off during a tense moment. 3.5/5.

LOL  TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #872 on: December 18, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »

SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE: When Kingpin's experiments open a portal to parallel universes, teenager Miles Morales becomes a new Spider-Man, and meets a series of Spider-Men from alternate universes (including divorced, pot-bellied Spider-Man and "Peter Porker.") Speaking in terms of theoretical physics the plot makes little sense, but gives the creators a nice excuse to explore humorous variations on the Spider-theme, and to paint the screen with a riot of psychedelic digital lava-lamp alternate-universe effects. 4/5.

I saw it in "XD" (big screen, extra loud sound), only because I didn't notice that was the screening and I didn't want to come back later for a regular screening. Given the visuals, that was the right way to see it. But, it's only worth an extra $ or 2, not double the regular ticket price! Still this is one you will probably prefer seeing in theaters, even in standard projection.

BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #873 on: December 26, 2018, 05:00:54 PM »

Mary Poppins Returns

While the music does not equal the original, not because it's bad, it's not, but because the music from the original was so good. There are a lot of things in this film which are superior to or equal to the original.

The Accents
Dick Van Dyke has the dubious distinction of having the worst English accent of any American actor in a film. His accent is better this time. Of course, he has had over 50 years to practice.

The Action
Nothing as exciting in the original as the chase scenes in this one.

Characters
I know I saw the black secretary in some film, ere this one. I still can't figure out which one.
I did figure out who was Admiral Boom in this one. Though, it took me to the 2nd to the last scene to figure it out. That was David Warner.
They did get something wrong. Dick Van Dyke did not play Dawes, Jr. in the original, but Dawes, Sr.

Choreography
Now that was a surprise, as good as it was in the original. Here it was better.
And when the little girl was asked what her favorite scene in the film was, it was the scene dancing with the lamplighters.
Though, how the bicyclists rode their bicycles down the stair railings without breaking their neck, I'll never know.

Emotions (Audience)
Just as powerful emotionally as the original for one member of the audience.
And heard something I had not heard in some time. At the end, the audience started spontaneously clapping.

Emotions (Characters)
A stroke of genius to make Michael a widower, as it gave his emotions expressed in the film, a punch the original Mr. Banks' emotions did not have.

History
It only took almost 60 years, but film has finally caught up with history. There are black people living in London, and probably has been since the days of the Romans.
What we know of the Depression we know of from an American perspective. What we do not know or have forgotten is that the Depression or the Slump was a world wide event, with some places suffering even more than America..

Locations
Unlike the original, which was shot on the studio's back lots and stages, part of this film was actually shot in London. And I'd like to know how they got permission to do that.

Realism
While the fantastical is still there, it is a far more realistic film than the original, and it is far better for that.

Villains
Unlike the original, which had no true villain other than society, here they had a couple of good villains. The lawyer, who'd knife you from the front, and the even better nephew and banker, who'd smile at you, and then when your back was turned, stab you in the back.

Miscellaneous
Cotton candy is known as candy floss in the U.K.
Though, they should have called the lawyers solicitors.
In that one scene, from the floor to the stool to the chair to the desk, except Dick Van Dyke did not need the stool for the scene. Mighty spry for a man over ninety. Which blew everyone's mind.
And of the original cast members, he is the only actor left. Also still living from the original cast are Julie Andrews, Glynis Johns, and Karen Dotrice, who was the daughter of actor Roy Dotrice.
They are still doing something unique. I have seen for no other studio. Bringing out someone from the film, here the actors, and thanking the audience for coming to see the film.

And the ending.
Not up there (IMHO) with "Let's Go Fly a Kite," but near to it.

Next: January, which is a dumping ground for films not released the previous year, can be a famine or nothing to watch or a feast, with several films worth watching. We'll just have to wait and see.

As for next year, if one is a child or can think like a child, watching the trailers ere the film, I have never seen a better film year for children's films than 2019.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #874 on: December 28, 2018, 09:58:01 AM »

THE FAVOURITE (2018): In England circa 1710, two female rivals scheme to manipulate the vulnerable Queen Anne. A sardonic and nearly perfect satire of political ambition, marred only slightly by Yorgos Lanthimos' heavy layers of style (ultra wide-angle lenses and intrusive music) where a straightforward approach would have worked better. 4.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #875 on: January 04, 2019, 10:17:08 AM »

BUMBLEBEE: Like a combination of E.T., R2D2 and Herbie the Love Bug, a giant robot who can turn into a car travels to earth and befriends a troubled teenage girl. Easily the best of the "Transformers" movies, but that is a low bar indeed. Set in 1987, it deserves some credit for feeling just like an ersatz-Spielberg action epic of the era (with updated effects); but isn't mixing a logic-free 80s sci-fi spectacle with a "Transformers" movie ultimately just doubling-down on the dumb? 2.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #876 on: January 09, 2019, 10:00:50 AM »

CREED 2: Adonis Creed, now heavyweight champion, is challenged by brutal boxer Viktor Drago, son of the man who killed his father in the ring. Well-made sequel, but incredibly predictable; at least it's better than its inspiration, ROCKY IV. 3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #877 on: January 15, 2019, 09:09:10 AM »

RUST CREEK: A college girl on her way to a job interview takes a wrong turn and gets lost in Appalachia, where the locals are none-too-friendly to outsiders. This hillbilly noir takes a while to get cooking, but in the meantime it's fun to watch the performance by up and coming star Hermione Corfield (and the supporting performance by Jay Paulson, to a lesser extent). 3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #878 on: January 30, 2019, 11:13:25 AM »

STAN AND OLLIE: As their careers begin to fade, comedy icons Laurel and Hardy embark on a tour of Great Britain, hoping to raise interest in their proposed movie about Robin Hood. Great performances by Steve Coogan as Stan and a prosthetic-jowled John C. Reilly as Ollie deliver all the promised warmth, nostalgia, and light comedy. Odd timing for this crowd-pleasing release, as its too late to qualify for 2018 awards and so early that it will be forgotten for 2019 awards. 3.5/5.

Pacman000
« Reply #879 on: January 30, 2019, 12:30:10 PM »

STAN AND OLLIE: As their careers begin to fade, comedy icons Laurel and Hardy embark on a tour of Great Britain, hoping to raise interest in their proposed movie about Robin Hood. Great performances by Steve Coogan as Stan and a prosthetic-jowled John C. Reilly as Ollie deliver all the promised warmth, nostalgia, and light comedy. Odd timing for this crowd-pleasing release, as its too late to qualify for 2018 awards and so early that it will be forgotten for 2019 awards. 3.5/5.
Nice to hear it was a good movie.

I did not know they planned to make a Robin Hood movie; too bad it never got off the ground.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #880 on: January 30, 2019, 12:39:07 PM »

Nice to hear it was a good movie.

I did not know they planned to make a Robin Hood movie; too bad it never got off the ground.

Yeah, they did. The filmmakers even take a crack at imagining what might have been in it:

Small | Large

Pacman000
« Reply #881 on: January 31, 2019, 03:18:53 PM »

Wow. Steve Coogan's Laurel imitation is dead on. Funny joke too.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #882 on: February 07, 2019, 11:36:45 AM »

THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD (2018): Peter Jackson documentary on British WWI soldiers, using archival footage that has been colorized and enhanced with sound effects (including dialogue recreated by lip-readers). The colorization is just a gimmick but the soundtrack does create immersion, since you can actually hear the bombs boom and bullets whizz; truly helps you to understand these soldiers' travails, from trenchfoot, rat and lice infestations, mustard gas, and a final brutal assault on a machine gun nest that less than half will survive. 4/5.

BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #883 on: February 14, 2019, 06:33:58 PM »

He has some good news. He has some bad news. And he has some worse news.

The good news
The latest Legos film was the #1 film at the box office.

The bad news
It did only half the business of the previous Legos film on its opening weekend.

The worst news
That was not an abberration. So far, every film this year is regarded as having underperformed at the box office, in comparison with the 1st 2 months of last year's box office.

The responses
1. Hollywood finally comes out with a film audiences want to see.
2. Walt Disney Company dominates the box office to a greater extent than it did the last 2 years.
3. If neither occurs, then Hollywood finds itself in deep doo doo.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #884 on: February 14, 2019, 11:09:47 PM »

GLASS (2019)  A brilliant follow up to two of M. Night Shamalayan's best films, SPLIT and UNBREAKABLE.
Bruce Willis returns as The Overseer, a semi-superhero who fights crime and rescues girls in distress.
He is up against The Horde, as the main character from SPLIT has started calling himself - a man with many multiple personalities who kidnaps young girls and feeds them to "The Beast," his most aggressive and dangerous alter.  The two of them are apprehended by the police and institutionalized in a hospital where the sinister Mister Glass (Samuel L. Jackson) is already locked up.  There they fall under the care of a psychiatrist who is trying to convince them that their superpowers are just an illusion.  But all is not as it seems . . .

This was a fantastic film, well put together, brilliantly acted, with a nice twisty script. 4.5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.