Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:47:48 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Sling Blade « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sling Blade  (Read 5526 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: January 26, 2009, 10:32:51 PM »

I hadn't seen Sling Blade in ages. 
(It's had to have been at least 4-5 years since I last saw it)

I watched this last night and found myself just as glued to the screen as I was when I first saw it in a packed theater back in 1997.
It's a slow film, which may turn some viewers off.  But if you appreciate a good drama with a slow buildup, Sling Blade definitely delivers.

The character of Karl Childers is one of a kind.
There hasn't been a character quite like him in any movie that I've ever seen.
I was totally blown away by how Billy Bob Thornton completely disappeared into the role.
As I watched it last night, I tried to look at Karl and envision Billy Bob as he looks now, but I couldn't.
He's unrecognizable.

Karl's slow, that's for sure.  But ultimately he's a good man, despite the acts of extreme violence he commited in his past and commits in this film.

Karl's voice has been made fun of quite a bit, but, just like Frank, I kind of like it.

Small | Large

I liked how Karl and young Frank's friendship blossomed.  Karl would never do anything to hurt Frank or his mother Linda who are basically good people.
Linda's boyfriend Doyle, on the other hand, is absolutely despicable and he's played perfectly by Dwight Yoakam.
Another great character was Vaughan, wonderfully played by the late John Ritter.
Hard to believe that Ritter is actually dead.  He was truly a great actor.

I still find this movie absolutely riveting after all these years.

How about you?
What do you think of Sling Blade?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:33:14 AM by Ash » Logged
Susan
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 11:27:20 PM »

we must have movie telepathy. I rented that movie this past weekend. I one reason I like it is that everyone seems normal, i mean, they seem like people you know. Great ending, gotta wonder how dumb or how smart he was. I think that he figured he was going to hell anyhow because of the conversation he had with the boy and killed him. But then why get baptized.

I love john ritter saying "You always seem like you're in deep thought. Like, what were you thinking just now".

"mmm, i was thinking i might get me some more of them taters"

The only thing I don't like is when movies try too hard to make young kids "wise" by giving them lines that normal kids wouldn't say. For the most part he spoke like a kid his age but there were times i kinda went 'oh here we go'.

I don't think there's any real moral message in the film, you could break it down about how the real monsters are the people who live next door to us that we turn a blind eye to when they are abusive, but i think it's just a story. And an interesting one.

Kinda makes me wanna get some mustard and biscuits
Ash

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 11:34:22 PM »

Kinda makes me wanna get some mustard and biscuits

"Aright 'den".

BounceGiggle
Susan
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 11:59:47 PM »

Small | Large
Viktorcrayon
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 01:19:28 AM »

I love this movie.

I love it when movies manage to both touch me and make me laugh (The links in this thread crack me up).
Bad Boy Bubby has the same effect on me. If you haven't seen this gem, i can't reccomend it enough.

French fried taters?

Recently as a dare, i got one of my friends to go up and order som French fried taters at a vendor, doing the slingblade voice, and ask the guy if they had any mustard.
(I live in Denmark, so him speaking English just made it even more bizarre)  Cheers

I laughed for days, but the poor guy that served us was probably very perplexed.
Ash

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 05:12:15 AM »

One scene in the movie that really rings true for me is this one:
(NOT SAFE FOR WORK!!)

Get Out!!
Small | Large

I've been at a couple of parties/get-togethers in real life that ended up just like the one in this clip did.  (no family drama...but everyone leaving because the host freaked out)
Not fun... 
I remember them well.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:45:19 AM by Ash » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 06:08:55 PM »

Gotta agree with everyone, it's a really good movie.  Billy Bob Thornton seemed like a budding genius when he made this, but now he's pretty much fallen off the genius map.  I think Angelina must have driven him insane.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 08:03:58 PM »

Sling Blade was a great movie.  In fact, I should go rent it, as I haven't seen it in ages.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
bladerunnerblues
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 03:16:29 AM »

I hate alcohol,excessive foul language and guys that beat their girlfriends/wives...

But I love this movie.Definitely gonna' have to get the DVD.
I wish I had seen it in theaters but back than I didn't really know what it was about and just assumed it was pretty much a copy of Nell,except with a guy instead of a woman as the main character.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Sling Blade « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.