Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:33:05 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I got a bad review! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I got a bad review!  (Read 2998 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 27, 2009, 01:39:45 AM »

In case anyone doesn’t know, I work the night audit at a hotel.  At our hotel, one of the things they put in all the rooms are these little comment cards where a guest (we call them “guests” not “customers”) can rate all the various aspects of their stay.  Neat thing about stuff like this, though, is one of the more annoying facets of human nature: people are far more likely to complain than they are to compliment.  Now, for the most part, I tend to do pretty well with the customers, I don’t quite have the “strike up a conversation with anyone” chatty repertoire that my female co-workers, but still, I usually get along okay.

Several weeks ago, a little note was placed in my folder (all the workers have folders in which the manager occasionally places notes and whatnot.)  The note was one of our comment cards where the guest ranked everything as excellent except for the checking in experience and the courtesy of the staff.  In the comment section, they’d written, “Did not like fat man attuide(sic)”.

Now, I have to admit, when I first read this, I was a little upset.  I’m pretty sure the note was aimed at me, cause I’m the only guy who works the front desk (except for occasionally the owner, and he’s short and rail thin.)  But then I looked at the note for a bit and started to dissect it.  You see, I find nitpicking an insult takes some of the sting out of it.  For instance, one time in an online forum someone called me a racist, an a***ole and a s**thead.  I thought, “Isn’t that a bit redundant?  I mean, if I’m an a***ole, being a ‘s**thead’ would probably be a given, right?

So, looking at the note, I wrote on the side “Forgot the apostrophe s.”  After all, it should have said, “Did not like fat man’s attitude.”  Unless of course, I thought, “Fat Man Attitude” is the name of a movie or something; then it should be capitalized.  For example, “I did not like Punch Drunk Love.”    Then I wrote, “For that matter, what is an ‘attuide’?”  Can’t say I’ve ever seen that word before. 

The more I thought about it, I realized this person (pretty sure it was a woman) was most likely just a b***h who likes to complain a lot.  I mean, think about it, why did she feel the need to throw in weight as my defining characteristic?  Why didn't she write, “Did not like desk clerk’s attitude?”  (Or “ desk clerk attuide” as the case may be.)  Or, “Did not like guy at front desk’s attitude.”?  I mean, for example, had I been African-American would she have said, “Did like black guy’s attitude”?  The fact she felt the need to mention my weight gave me an insight to her spiteful, hate-filled personality and, to me, diminished any legitimacy her claim might have had.

To put it in the vernacular, she’s just a b***h so I don’t give a flying f**k what she thinks about me, and don’t believe it’s a reflection of my overall professional demeanor.

I talked it over with my manager, and even she said she didn’t like the why the woman phrased her compliant.  She said, though, that she had to bring it to my attention as a matter of course.  She then added, “I have trouble believing it though, I mean, I’ve watched you up front with the customers and I’ve never seen you be rude to any of them.”

So, that was nice to hear. :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 07:09:22 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 01:54:51 AM »

The fact that she mentioned your weight may not have been an intentional insult.
She could have simply been attempting to make sure the manager knew that it was you she was referring to.

Then again, she could have been being a b***h.
Who knows?

I wouldn't stress on it.
The way I look at it is, "You can't please everybody".

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 02:30:23 AM »

I think it's a hate crime you need to call Al "no so" Sharpton right away.

Ask you manager why it put it in your folder, and ask him if he's calling you fat, and tell him you find that very presumptuous and insulting and then say "I'm not so sure I'm not going to take your insulting actions up with your superiors!"

Always turn the tables.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 07:22:35 AM »

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man."  - TRUE GRIT (1969)   Smile

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 09:33:41 AM »

Get the chainsaw,BTM.

Someone is gonna pay for that !

hot

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 11:11:44 AM »

I don't think you dissected it enough. "Did not like fat man attuide". Perhaps she was complaining about her own tolerences, pointing out that as kind and generous as you seem, her own flaws prevented her from enjoying your presence. Also, she never said your attitude was BAD, berhaps you were just too chipper for her at that time. OR, , 'attitude' is used to describe one's direction, like in an airplane. Perhaps you need to turn a little to one side and lean back some. I think she (assuming it was a she) should have been a little more specific. I find it laughable that she rather than writing and fact , ie "Desk Clerk was rude to me" or "Desk clerk swore aloud" or "Desk Clerk would not take the time to give exacting directions to the room", she starts the sentence firguratively with the word "I". It's all about her. In fact, she even left off the word I, because the world revolves around her, so what else could it POSSIBLY be?

With that said, I think Cheese is CLOSE, , but not quite on. Don't accuse your manager of calling you fat, say you believe the card was meant for the owner, which is a easy way of goading them (the manager and/or the owner) into calling YOU fat, , then you have a solid  "Reverend Al" case. Gotta set 'em up before you can knock 'em down. .
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:24:35 AM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Susan
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 04:50:36 PM »

maybe what you need to do is create a card to rate your customer and you can mail it to them or stick it on their windsheild when they check out
BTM

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 08:15:57 PM »

maybe what you need to do is create a card to rate your customer and you can mail it to them or stick it on their windsheild when they check out
Well, no idea who the customer was, I mean, they checked out and left the card in their room, so that just wouldn't work.

Ahh, well, I'm really not bothered by it anymore, but I thought the situation noteworthy, because it brings up one of the biggest mysteries of the universe: How could someone not like me? 

;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:45:12 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Torgo

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 08:30:21 PM »

I think it's a hate crime you need to call Al "no so" Sharpton right away.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I got a bad review! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.